Go Back    Forum > Digital Publishing / Web Sites > Web Hosting

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
08-27-2015, 01:07 AM
Invalid Email / Banned / Spammer

What is the Difference between cloud hosting and shared hosting ? Then I will figure out which one is suitable according to my need?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

08-27-2015, 11:06 PM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

This is actually easy to understand.

"Cloud" is not a type of hosting. Any company that pretends that cloud is some sort of special hosting platform is either (A) being intentionally deceitful or (B) doesn't understand "cloud" themselves. In both cases, they should be avoided.

"Cloud" is the infrastructure. Traditional hosting is a single server hosting your content. Or a single server hosting the services that run your site (an email server, a SQL databases server, a file server or SAN). "Cloud" is multiple computers powering each service. The main benefit of cloud is that everything is redundant. If one server goes down, you never notice. With higher-end clouds, sometimes several servers can go down, and yet you'd never notice.

Some clouds claim to be "scalable", but that's really a myth. It's no more or less scalable than traditional servers.

Some cloud providers use "utility billing", like Amazon (AWS). That means you pay not monthly, but by actual usage. Sometimes this is good, sometimes not.

Cloud hosting is still shared -- either "shared web hosting" or a virtual server (VPS).
A "private cloud" is the equivalent to dedicated.

Sadly, in recent years, the term has been raped. To companies like Digital Ocean, "cloud" is a synonym for "online". They're not using cloud infrastructure. So sometimes a "cloud" is not a cloud at all. Details matter.

Make more sense now?

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
08-27-2015, 11:38 PM
Invalid Email / Banned / Spammer

Hi kpmedia,
Thanks for giving me reply.
Closed Thread