11-25-2015, 10:46 AM
Free Member

Hello! I was hoping for help in putting together a great device combo for analog transfer.

Goal: I have hundreds of old vhs tapes (over 20 years), many done at 6hr and 8hr speed. I would like to turn them into mp4 files for hard drive storage in nice, watchable quality

Currently: I have a Samsung Gamer Laptop with plenty of power running Windows 7. I have tried using the Elgato Video Capture device with a super simple Panasonic Omnivision VCR and many of the files have come out extremely jittery and shaky to a point of unwatchable, even though they appear better when watching on the actual tv.

After reading around here, I have just picked up a Panasonic AG-1980 & JVC SR-V10U
Both are said to be with low hours and very good condition. In light of the project and research, I believe these will be good units for what I am looking for.

I was now curious if there are any clear best choices for the following to complete a good system:
-External TBC (will I even need one with these units?)
-Analog capture device to plug into my computer (better than elgato or will that be fine?)
-Analog capture/editing software for my computer (currently have NCH Golden Videos & VideoPad video editor along with Elgato)

I am willing to pay a decent amount for good reliable options that will get the job done right and simple, if possible.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

12-06-2015, 08:10 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
This sounds a lot like some other recent threads.

Remember to capture to a master, save that master, and encode a copy as MP4. Otherwise you'll regret it in years to come.

Laptop is fine.

The jitters are due to the cheap non-pro VCR, combined with no external TBC.
You need one of these: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...ing-guide.html
And: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...time-base.html

Note that I have some TBCs for sale.

Elgato may be fine. ATI is probably better.
The ATI 600 us what I use on a laptop.
My other favorite is a Tevion card. Not just any Tevion, but a specific one. I don't see any on eBay right now; I just looked.

Another option is to buy or make an ATI AIW desktop capturing system.

(Hint: Use it for your project, and resell it when done. Same for the VCRs and TBCs. No rule says you need to keep them forever, and each has resale value.)

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
12-12-2015, 09:21 PM
Free Member

To help add with LS's post, I also have the Elgato, but its best used for modern sources like from component and HDMI.

I also have the 1980 (and its cousin 5710), for as many tapes you have make sure that you don't have a dim display on the 1980, if so be sure to send it out to have the caps replaced. There's info in one of the threads on that.

That Panasonic Omnivision VCR....sounds like one of the units my mom bought back in the Montgomery Ward days. Still have it but no longer works from sitting too long. The 1980 does have a line TBC, but its not full frame.

I think ATI would be best IMO for capturing VHS, and for that you would need an XP based system. There's lots of decent MB's on ebay with the AGP slot and can easily put together a system very cheaply. Capture uncompressed with VirtualDub, then you can encode it in any format you wish, while keeping the masters for future use. Best way to do it IMO.
12-13-2015, 06:38 AM
Free Member

Elgato may be fine? This Elgato?
https://www.elgato.com/en/video/video-capture
Quote:
Technical Specifications
Elgato Video Capture automatically detects NTSC, SECAM, PAL and PAL/60 video formats for worldwide compatibility.
•Video resolution: 640×480 (4:3) or 640×360 (16:9)
•Video format Mac Software: H.264 at 1.4 MBit/sec or MPEG-4 at 2.4 MBit/se
•Video format PC Software: H.264 at 1.4 MBit/se
•Audio: AAC, 48kHZ, 128 kBit/sec
It is a piece of crap.
01-03-2016, 09:54 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Elgato made good capture devices, and crappy capture devices.
I'd need to know details. Hence "may be".

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs