Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Blank Media

LinkBack Thread Tools
11-27-2015, 03:20 PM
Free Member

The following is from a separate thread that started out discussing why some DVD do not work well in some recorders. (Click here for that thread.) However we ended up discussing the use of a DVR archive (attaching a hard drive to extend the memory capacity of a cable or satellite DVR).

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
I would be worried that the DVR uses a format that is proprietary. Thus if you lose the DVR, you lose the whole collection. I could never do that. It's why I prefer DVD, DVD ISO, or even MP4/AVI for modern HD shows.

I've never been impressed by Netflix streaming quality. I'd rather get the DVD by mail.

I don't trust DISH or Directv at all. Nor the cable companies, for that matter.

HD is only useful for "filling the screen" 16x9, and for larger screens. If you mostly watch SD 4x3 content, or have a set under 50", then I'd somewhat agree. An HDTV with HD is not useful to everybody.
Thank you for the clarifications, LordSmurf. I would just like to clarify further:
  1. A DVR archive (connecting a hard drive to the DVR) can be made reliable simply by buying an extra used DVR. Then you can always play or copy anything recorded even if there is a breakdown or technology change of the DVR. Also note that even if a DVR no longer works properly, it still might be able to play from the archive. Someday, your DVR might break down or you might upgrade--but if you can, keep the old DVR and it might be used to play the archives.
  2. Also, you can have multiple DVR archives. Just do not get more TB than your DVR can handle. My DVR takes a maximum of 2 TB per archive. So I have FOUR 2tb USB drives. Eventually, these can be organized by category. With my DVR, only one hard drive can be attached at a time. However, you can transfer between archives as follows. "Restore" shows to the DVR--then unplug the archive (=USB hard drive)--then plug in a different archive--then upload to that archive.
  3. As LordSmurf says, so-called HD from the TV is not as good as renting a disc from Netflix. Also--if you use HD then archiving becomes unfeasible because it will fill up the hard drive too fast.
  4. Of course, in addition to a breakdown or technology change of the DVR--each archieve (hard drive) might fail also. So if a show is important to you--then copy it to DVD. Or if you want high quality, then rent or buy the factory-made DVD or blueray.
  5. Nonetheless--a DVR archive (connecting a hard drive to the DVR) is the way to go if you want to keep copies of many many non-HD shows you have seen, practically for free. This method is not totally secure but they probably will not be lost--and with practically everything available on the internet, you will probably not be devastasted if they are lost. And the quality is not bad.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

11-28-2015, 03:10 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Buying an extra DVR isn't always feasible. DVR tech changes too much, rendering older models useless.

I also worry about the DVR getting pissy if you remove a HDD and connect another. These machines are dumb, not complex, and may get confused. The disconnected hard drive may no longer be seen by the DVR. I also wonder about the effect of fragmentation, and incontiguous writing to disks.

If you're doing it, then bravo. But I'm not sure that this method would be easily repeated on other hardware on other cable/sat carriers.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs