12-09-2015, 04:22 AM
Free Member

Hi,

Great list you have made.

Are there any special/serious reason to not include Crocweb on the list anymore?

Thanks
Kim
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

01-03-2016, 12:23 PM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

Quote:
Originally Posted by knector View Post
Great list you have made.
Are there any special/serious reason to not include Crocweb on the list anymore?
Thanks.

Crocweb had a lot of minor issues in 2014 and 2015. It was more than other host on our lists had. It was mostly downtime, and it was sometimes blamed on DDoS even through they supposedly had DDoS protections in place. They are not a bad host, and they were never at the top of our lists anyway. They merely fell off due to others being better.

We let our account recently lapse with them, and do not plan to monitor them anymore.

In that price range, for small/medium hosts, Stablehost, MDD Hosting, Veerotech, and Squidix are doing much better.
Larger hosts like Siteground and InMotion are doing better to.

Need a good web host? — Read our 2018 Review of the Best Web Hosts
Quite often, problems with web sites are caused by having a rotten web host. Worse yet, many hosts try to blame you (the customer) for the problems! So dump that lousy company. Say goodbye to slow sites, unresponsive support techs, and downtime. Find yourself a new host today. Whether you need shared, reseller, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or dedicated hosting, something on our list should be a good upgrade for you.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
01-12-2016, 12:57 PM
Free Member

I am with Crocweb now, and while the server is fast for my sites, there are just things I don't like about it. Plus it would be nice to get on a us server.

Support can be very short in their answers, like one time the swap file ran at 99%, the reply was just "We are aware of this and it is normal."

I don't believe that is normal. It is around 80% now. And the average load is always between 6 and 15 on the server (6 core (12 with hyperthreading)) I'm on (one time it ran around 20 to 25 load average for about a week, but they said there were still 50% idle cpu)

It's things like that which have made me think about a new host, but I just can't decide between Veerotech and Stablehost.

I want a reseller account for my own use, I will be using it for mostly Wordpress sites from small to medium size.

What makes it hard to decide, is that while Stablehost use SSD for caching (I don't know how much that will help for smaller sites).

Veerotech is only HDD but with more space, and they do have newer hardware and allow more memory 2gb vs 1gb.

But does SSD help that much, isn't the memory and cpu also a big part of site load time?

Also I tested some sites hosted on both places (found through nameserver), and many of them were not that fast, but I guess that is more because of peoples sites instead of the host.

If you have any opinion on this it would be nice.

Thanks
Kim
01-15-2016, 03:25 AM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

For reseller hosting, I prefer Veerotech.
For standard shared and enterprise, I prefer Stablehost.

Drive speed is only one factor.

Realistically, depending on the RAID array, all the other system overhead, and the containment of the account (ie, CloudLinux), there's no real difference between SSD and HDD for the end hosting user. SSD only comes into play with dedicated and (to a lesser extended) VPS. But even that can be negligible, depending on your internet speed.

What matters more is the host, and their willingness to NOT overcrowd a server (thus have resource issues that actually slow down the server).

Crocweb is a discount host. Not a bad one! But still discount. Corners have to be cut. Server customer density, support, etc -- those are likely.

Modern Intel CPUs are different these days. For example, your load % could raise simply because the CPU cut power because it wasn't being used. A lot of the graphs you find on servers were created before this reality. So you need to be careful on how you're reading that, and you must know details on the server hardware to know if this is normal.

Testing people's site is mostly just a statement of that site owner. It really depends on the host, and independent tests that are 1:1 (or close to it) to measure speed.

At least you're looking at two known-good hosts. That's really what matters most.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
01-15-2016, 08:46 AM
Free Member

Hi again,

Thanks for the detailed answer, that makes good sense about the CPU's.

I couldn't decide, so I just signed up for both, since it's only 10$ each (with Veerotech's new year coupon) and Stablehost gives a free upgrade to the next plan, it was to good a deal to leave.

Their support has been awesome, and my sites are already moved.

Thanks again.
Kim
Closed Thread