Go Back    Forum > Featured > General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools
01-06-2016, 12:49 AM
Free Member

I'd like to know what's a good reliable software to use for imaging the hard drive, or rather what is everyone using for their setups. I've read on Acronis, but never used it. Basically want to image my two XP capture machines so should anything happen requiring a reinstall I can re-image the drive to its clean pristine state. Especially since I'd rather not deal with the ATI driver nightmare again anytime soon!
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

01-06-2016, 01:27 AM
Remembered

Hello
I have 2 PCs with separate removable disks XP + W7
Fuses I do with Acronis True Image 2012
I also have XP cloned to another HDD.
Start CD or at the start-USB Stick.
On all PCs True Image is not installed, everything goes with the Start CD.
Example image ... Backup XP
former "tib" are stored on other hard drives.

Attached Images
File Type: png Win_XP Images-Teile_2016-01-06_08-21-46.png (12.3 KB, 2 downloads)
01-06-2016, 02:47 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Acronis True Image = backup system to ISO and/or another hard drive as image
http://www.acronis.com/en-us/personal/computer-backup/

Terabyte Image for Windows = similar to Acronis, but you can also view the contents of the backup package.
https://www.terabyteunlimited.com/image-for-windows.htm

Paragon Virtualization Manager = create VM from current system to be used in freeware VirtualBox
https://www.paragon-software.com/home/vm-professional/

I keep all old non-capture systems as VMs, and have since 2012. My main system has probably 6 older XP/Vista systems archived. Note that some Windows licenses may balk at being in a VM ("too many changes", "OEM hardware only", etc) so you'll have to unofficially activate them.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
01-06-2016, 09:44 PM
Free Member

I'll look into the Acronis since its fairly well known for reliable backups. My second capture box I put in a spare IDE HDD to use as a backup/image drive only.

Interesting regarding the Paragon VM.....I use ESXi VMware on a server box I built almost two years ago and have Server 2012 and Win7 running as VM's. I'm always looking for ways to improve my server/backup routine where I can keep backups on regular basis, and where I can do PXE booting on client PC's.
01-07-2016, 07:40 AM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

From 2010 to 2014, TBI is what was used to backup this server. It ran very nicely, and was only discontinued because newer methods for backup were adopted at our new host (LiquidWeb). Even though TBI is not marketed for servers, it works like a champ. Acronis is for desktop systems, has less features, and is more expensive by $10 (go figure!).

VMware server-based VMs are nice. That's a whole different situation than VirtualBox instances!

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
01-07-2016, 09:27 AM
Premium Member

Acronis can usually be had for free. Check your hard drive vendor's website, i Know for a fact that Western Digital offers it. The limitation is that you can only install it on a machine with that brand hard drive installed. I have also received coupons with activation codes in boxes for various SSDs.