Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Encode, Convert for discs

LinkBack Thread Tools
02-04-2016, 03:25 PM
Free Member

I'm not sure if this is even the best place to ask this particular question, but I figured I'd give it a shot.

I've done some pretty complex editing in Adobe Premiere CC 2015, and my usual practice is to frameserve the timeline with Advanced Frameserver and encode the video with MainConcept TotalCode Studio. I'm very picky about the quality of my encodes and I like the TotalCode Studio program as it gives me more options over the encode and better resulting quality.

Nevertheless, I've had a very frustrating time recently where my encode just stops before the entire encode is completed. It actually says "Done" at the bottom but the "Preview" window shows a frame where the encode has stopped, about 15 minutes before the film is finished. I can play the video fine, but it plays for about 1 hour and 31 minutes while the entire film is supposed to run for 1 hour and 45 minutes.

Just for the record, I already made completely sure that I have selected the ENTIRE film in my Premiere timeline before frameserving it. There isn't any problem with the footage around where the encode stops that I am aware of.

The other option of course would be to export the timeline as a lossless AVI file and then load that file into TotalCode Studio. But I've tried that and TotalCode Studio will not recognize any of the video codecs. Not Lagarith, not UTVideo, not Huffyuv, not regular uncompressed AVI files, nothing. It shows up as audio only.

I'd really appreciate any help I could get on this issue. I've got a deadline to finish a project and I've been messing around the last few days trying to get my final encode, but to no avail.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

02-04-2016, 05:02 PM
Remembered

Hello
I can not help
Here it works with Total Code Studio

but I work in an emergency only with Adobe CS6.
Mainly I work with Edius
little with Sony Vegas pro 13 and the Media Composer 8.1
--------------------------

With UtVideo 422 SD [601] Total code crashes Studio
Take now for progressive material the Magic-YUV
or the free Grass Valley HQ [see screen 2]

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Total Code Studio.jpg (54.8 KB, 21 downloads)
File Type: png canopus HQ.png (79.1 KB, 10 downloads)

Last edited by Goldwingfahrer; 02-04-2016 at 05:15 PM.
02-04-2016, 10:02 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
I'm picky, too -- hence me using MainConcept Reference. (For MPEG-2, it's not really changed much.)

I've seen oddities like this in the past, from VirtualDub, Procoder, and others. The issue is usually with hardware (hard drives) or the OS. Try to encode it to another drive. See what happens there.

MainConcept understands DirectShow. I feed it Huffyuv files all the time.
Do you have ffdshow installed? If not , do it.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
02-05-2016, 04:31 AM
Remembered

addendum
it works with UtVideo [15.4.0] with Total Code Studio

my mistake
I create under W7 64 bit with VDub [32-bit] a UtVideo Stream crashes Total Code Studio.

I create under W7 32 bit with VDub [32-bit] a UtVideo Stream No Problem
I create under W7 64 bit with VDub [64-bit] a UtVideo Stream No Problem
test stream is only a 4: 2: 0

Easy Capture PC
without ffdshow 1.3.4532 [2014-07-17]
without LAV splitter / parser

Attached Images
File Type: jpg TotalCode Studio_UtVideo.jpg (104.9 KB, 13 downloads)
02-17-2016, 07:20 AM
Free Member

Sorry I didn't respond to this thread sooner, but I wanted to let everyone know that I've resolved the problem for now. Another person recommended that I create an AVISynth script and just open that in TotalCode Studio. It worked no problem.

It might not be the idea solution, having to export my timelines to lossless AVI, then creating an AVISynth script just to encode my video but at least it works.

Thanks for the suggestions regardless.
The following users thank jrodefeld for this useful post: lordsmurf (04-26-2016)
05-13-2016, 11:11 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrodefeld View Post
I wanted to let everyone know that I've resolved the problem for now. Another person recommended that I create an AVISynth script and just open that in TotalCode Studio. It worked no problem. It might not be the idea solution, having to export my timelines to lossless AVI, then creating an AVISynth script just to encode my video but at least it works.
I hate extra steps.

Today I finally upgraded from Reference to TotalCode. On my new Skylake build, Reference 1 is now buggy, and Reference 2 refuses to calculate final size properly (ie, an estimated 4gb encode is 5gb). So I was hoping for stability and speed comparable to 2. And like you, I ran into the Huffyuv problem.

But this time, I was thinking more clearly. The issue was simply 64-bit software vs. 32-bit software. combined with 64-bit codecs vs. 32-bit codecs.

I've updated this post: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...html#post11627

You must extract the INF and DLL from huffyuv64.zip (which I've attached to this post) into C:\Windows\System32\, then right-click and install the INF. Tada! You now have 64-bit Huffyuv that a 64-bit application can see. MainConcept TotalCode works great now. But the problem is that you've overwritten the 32-bit version and 32-bit software like VirtualDub won't work with Huffyuv anymore.

The issue is that the 32- and 64-bit versions of Huffyuv use the same name. I'm not sure if it's as easy as renaming the two files, and renaming all references to it in the INF. Because of the FourCC, simple renaming may cause a problem on the system. You'd have conflicting references in the registry, similar to the hell causes by codec packs in the 2000s. I've never been a codec developer -- just a user. So I need to speak to a few folks first.

We may just be screwed.

Update:

By using the 64-bit version of ffdshow, I can now use both the native 32-bit version of Huffyuv in VirtualDub, and the ffmpeg version of Huffyuv in 64-bit software. I can now use both MainConcept TotalCode 3.x to encode, as well as VirtualDub. I'm about to start two projects** concurrently.

** I never though I'd see the day when I could restore footage in VirtualDub AND encode DVD MPEG in MainConcept at the same time -- AND have CPU left over! It wouldn't be possible without this 6700K Intel CPU with a SATA3 motherboard. Amazing! Each is fast, with MC crunching about 300fps, and Virtual crunching about 120fps.

Attached Files
File Type: zip huffyuv64.zip (24.2 KB, 87 downloads)
File Type: rar ffdshow_rev4533_20140929_clsid_x64.rar (4.74 MB, 105 downloads)

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: Amanjm (01-28-2020)
04-01-2017, 02:11 AM
Free Member

Hi lordsmurf,

I've been reading this thread and your other thread, I know these are old but - I'm trying to get huffyuv to work on 32 and 64bit software in windows 7 x64, and I'm pretty desperate. I could really use some help here.

Specifically, I'm trying to get huffyuv to work in older 32bit versions of after effects, as well as newer 64bit ones (cs4, cs5 and cc - I know it's 2017, don't ask... I need to bring an old project back online that has a lot of files)

I've read your instructions, but with no luck. I've installed huffyuv and the ffdshow version you linked to. If I install huffyuv(32bit) into sysWOW64, I can play huffyuv AVI files from windows explorer, using media player. And I can import them into AE CS4, which is a 32 bit app. But I cannot import them into AE CS5, which is a 64bit app.

If I try to install huffyuv(64bit) into sysWOW64, nothing works (as in, I can't play huffyuv files anywhere). Even with ffdshow installed.

I'm wondering if you could summarize the exact steps needed to install huffyuv in such a way that it works with both 32 and 64 bit software. It would be a huge help.

Thanks!
04-01-2017, 08:43 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,308 Times in 982 Posts
You can't install 64-bit dll's in SYSWOW64. 32-bit dll's work in SYSWORK64, 64-bit dll's work in system32.
The following users thank sanlyn for this useful post: Amanjm (01-28-2020)
04-01-2017, 05:31 PM
Free Member

Thanks Sanlyn. Let me try that.

32bit files in 64bit folder and vice versa... Not at all counterintuitive, thanks microsoft...
04-01-2017, 08:53 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,308 Times in 982 Posts
The WOW64 in SysWOW64 stands for "Windows 32-bit On Windows 64-bit".
http://www.samlogic.net/articles/32-...6-syswow64.htm

You're right, it doesn't make sense no matter how many ways it's explained. These "system" conventions exist only for reasons of compatibiliy with systems that Micro$oft no longer supports anyway. Note that 32-bit and 64-bit systems still have a folder called simply "system" that hails from Windows 3.0 days.