Go Back    Forum > Digital Publishing / Web Sites > Web Hosting

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
02-13-2016, 09:44 AM
Free Member

Hello,

First time poster here and I was wondering if it would be possible to have some assistance in my future decision which will be to purchase a domain and host it. There’s just so much offer that for someone like me, who is not an expert, is easy to get confused.

I have seen the main sticky topic here, but was wondering if it was updated in the meantime and if by any chance something changed.

So far, from what I have been reading, I have realized that I should stay far away from EIG companies and that the domain and host should be separate as a good practice.

In short I would like to register a “.com” domain to create a small website for self-promotion.
I will need 2 to 3 emails for the domain, the possibility to upgrade if needed, the chance to migrate the service if necessary. Is the spam filter they use important?

Since I travel a lot I would need a registrar with a good webmail available that I could access from other computers other than mine.

I live in Portugal, but the website will be in English and oriented towards the international community. I’ll have to learn WordPress to build the site.

Could you please recommend options in Europe for the host? And a registrar for domain and email?
My budget is around 80€ maximum for the hosting and around 30€ for the domain and email.

Thanks
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

02-18-2016, 06:36 AM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

Our site is in a state of upgrade right now. None of the information here is wrong, but some updates are on the way. Anything listed there now is still good and suggested.

Yes, stay away from EIG if you value your time and sanity.

Email has gotten pretty bad since late 2014. Spammers have new techniques that completely overran the filtering of yesteryear. Most hosts still use basic SpamAssassin, which is mostly useless for automated filters. It's only really good for manual rules. So a lot of users, who don't want to wade through tons of crap each day, now use SpamExperts. It's a for-pay filter, and for only a few domains (or one domain), you'll want to either get a license from a host, or just use a host that includes it for free with the plan.

Veerotech is where we get our licenses, and they also include it on some of their plans.

And then I also use Stablehost for some personal domains, and SE filtering is part of the enterprise hosting package.

^ Both are excellent hosts that we used for years.

The webmail interface is Roundcube, which is very nice. You can find trials online. See also https://roundcube.net

Be sure to buy the domain from Namecheap.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
The following users thank kpmedia for this useful post: andremateus (02-18-2016)
02-18-2016, 09:48 PM
Free Member

Thank you for replying!

I am actually very interested in stablehost, but unfortunately their "unlimited" plans put me off.

Any recommendation for a European company with servers in the EU as well? I read good things about EuroVPS, but also that they are not for newbies, which is my case.

Thanks!
02-19-2016, 05:13 AM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

Stablehost

Don't be afraid of unlimited. You need only be afraid, or trusting, of specific hosts. Stablehost is one of the good ones. They've been around for about about a decade now, and only adopted unlimited in 2015.

In 2014-2015, we saw a lot of shifts in storage technology. You can now get multi-terabyte SSD drives for servers. The storage on a server exceeds the other resources. So you site(s) will run into CPU or RAM issues long before it runs into a problem with storage. (But because SH uses CloudLinux, CPU and RAM won't be an an issue either, unless it's constantly using 100%.)

Stablehost has a lot of bandwidth, so this has never been a problem. They're had unlimited bandwidth for years.

Notice that they clearly list out all the resource specs on their product pages. Unlike "unlimited" hosts, they don't hide specs in fine print.

You can still buy the classic plans from Stablehost, which have defined storage. And those plans are a few dollars cheaper.

EuroVPS

It really depends on what type of questions you'll be asking. Too many newbies want coding help, or treat hosts like Google. Some allow this, some do not. (In my opinion, some newbies really do abuse support.)

EuroVPS is a no-BS high-end premium operation. They don't have time/patience to answer basic "how to use the internet" type questions that are answered by the #1 SERP in Google. But I'm actually in talks with them on this. We'll see what happens there in coming months. Dealing with newbies requires a nice KB, and newbies mostly need links to KB articles.

Others

We're in the process of updating rankings and guides right now. There also been some changes with certain hosts.

When you say "EU" (and give budget in euros), are you also open to UK hosts? I realize that UK is technically EU, but a lot of folks don't see it as such, since it still uses GBP/pound currency. So I have to ask.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
02-19-2016, 02:59 PM
Free Member

Thanks for the all the feedback, I appreciate it!

I wasn't considering UK. Being in pounds will make it more expensive also...

As for EuroVPS I like the idea of a good company being in the EU and Euro coin. Is this the only company worth it in non-UK EU?
Closed Thread

Tags
domain, email, europe, host, newbie