03-16-2016, 04:47 PM
Premium Member

Just Upgraded my Win 7 Editing PC to Win 10 (Not my XP Capture PC of course!). Seems smooth so far. After much research, found all the privacy settings and turned off as much as possible. (Win 10 likes to report "Home to Mamma" quite a bit!). Apparently some older programs and even newer ones may or may not work correctly, and I think win 10 refers to programs as "Apps" now, even though there is still the "Programs and Features" page available. I was wondering if anyone has run into any problems with any favorite "Older" programs, or had to re-purchase/upgrade any programs that worked just fine in earlier versions of Windows?...Win 10 does save the previous system files, but only for 30 days. And it comes with it's own "Create Recovery System Drive" program, but so far it won't work on my particular machine, possibly because It's buggy, or because I already have Carbonite Mirror Image installed?.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

03-17-2016, 07:04 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,448 Times in 2,080 Posts
I'm not letting it anywhere near my systems. I don't want an invasive spying OS, which is what Windows 10 is. I want to work offline, not online. And what few internet connection I make will be scrutinized. The default firewalls here are "block all", and allow only select software (example: TMGPEnc, for licensing reasons, though I hate that too).

An upgraded OS just means more older stuff won't work, stuff we in the video hobby/profession need!

FYI, if you want to built a new system, do it now. MS isn't going to support anything but Windows 10 on Skylake and newer CPUs. Thankfully, Skylake came out before that asinine idea, so we can use Windows 7 (the 6700K for sure).

My days of being an early adopter guinea pig, when it comes to OS, are over. If anything, post-Win7, I'll look deeper into Ubuntu/Xubuntu desktop for my future needs. We already have Xubuntu installed on several non-video computers, used for office documents and internet.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: rocko (03-18-2016)
03-17-2016, 09:10 AM
Free Member

I think its stupid that M$ will not support any OS older than 10 on the CPUs. As long as Skylake cpu's work with Windows 7 thats what i am sticking with. Its like Microsoft is trying to force people to use 10 when it likes to spy on you and break older programs that worked fine before.

And as we all know when it comes to video and audio work, having a stable OS and system is a must. Why constantly break something if it isn't broken in the first place? As far as I am concerned I am staying with Win 7.
The following users thank VideoTechMan for this useful post: rocko (03-18-2016)
03-18-2016, 01:42 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
I'm not letting it anywhere near my systems. I don't want an invasive spying OS, which is what Windows 10 is. I want to work offline, not online. And what few internet connection I make will be scrutinized. The default firewalls here are "block all", and allow only select software (example: TMGPEnc, for licensing reasons, though I hate that too).

An upgraded OS just means more older stuff won't work, stuff we in the video hobby/profession need!

FYI, if you want to built a new system, do it now. MS isn't going to support anything but Windows 10 on Skylake and newer CPUs. Thankfully, Skylake came out before that asinine idea, so we can use Windows 7 (the 6700K for sure).

My days of being an early adopter guinea pig, when it comes to OS, are over. If anything, post-Win7, I'll look deeper into Ubuntu/Xubuntu desktop for my future needs. We already have Xubuntu installed on several non-video computers, used for office documents and internet.
Thanks Again, Lord-(Morpheus)-smurf, and Videotechman, For helping me to not swallow the "Koolaid" pill!...Well I kind of did already, but it's not too late to revert back to 7. (Hope reverting back process is smooth)..and now that I finally got a smartphone, I'm using it more and more for browsing information, was using Win 7 PC for browsing and Video editing, but sounds like I can start treating my Win 7 Editing PC more like my (offline) XP capture PC!...BTW, (Lordmurf) did you mean that the default firewalls "here" set to "block all", is on your current Win 7 PC's?

Last edited by rocko; 03-18-2016 at 01:44 PM. Reason: add
03-21-2016, 12:37 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,448 Times in 2,080 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockovids View Post
did you mean that the default firewalls "here" set to "block all", is on your current Win 7 PC's?
Windows 10 Firewall Control (portable version) is a freeware program that has nothing to do with "Windows 10". It hooks into the native Windows Firewall, and sets the computer to deny all connections from software that wants to connect. I allow certain programs only. For example, Sound Forge wants to go online, but I won't let it. The first time that SF tried to connect, the firewall control had a pop-up, and I told it to always disallow. It never asked me again. I'll only allow a few select software, like Firefox. It works fine in Windows XP, Vista, 7, and 8.

I need to write more about this in a guide. It doesn't have the best of default settings, but a few quick tweaks make it an awesome tool.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs