Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Hardware Repair

LinkBack Thread Tools
09-13-2016, 03:02 PM
Free Member

I picked up a Panasonic NV-HS830 which doesn't seem to have seen much use. However it will frequently (maybe 1 in every 5 times) leave a loop of tape inside the machine when I try to eject a cassette. Additionally - maybe 1 in 10 or 15 times I'll attempt to put a cassette in and it won't be accepted and will be spat out again.

I wonder if it might be a faulty mode switch, but I'd be grateful of any advice or suggestions.

Thanks in advance,
Dan.

-- merged --

I think I found the problem. I removed the z-mechanism/chassis as I wanted to clean the capstan belt... and found a tiny washer fallen onto the main circuit board assembly, directly under the clutch wheel. I guess the washer should be holding the clutch in place (to transfer drive from the capstan to the idler mechanism?) The washer appears to be broken, and has a tiny split - unlike a picture of the replacement part which I've ordered - part number is VMX2208.

Annoyingly I had to make a minimum order of 20 euros, so I went for several of these washers along with a new capstan belt.

If it cures the problem, then I'll have got a low mileage HS830 for about £40 (including replacement parts). Fingers crossed that it helps!
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

09-28-2016, 04:19 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gutt3d View Post
I think I found the problem. I removed the z-mechanism/chassis as I wanted to clean the capstan belt... and found a tiny washer fallen onto the main circuit board assembly, directly under the clutch wheel. I guess the washer should be holding the clutch in place (to transfer drive from the capstan to the idler mechanism?) The washer appears to be broken, and has a tiny split - unlike a picture of the replacement part which I've ordered - part number is VMX2208.

Annoyingly I had to make a minimum order of 20 euros, so I went for several of these washers along with a new capstan belt.

If it cures the problem, then I'll have got a low mileage HS830 for about £40 (including replacement parts). Fingers crossed that it helps!
The washers do have a split in them by design, to get them over the pin, but if the split is showing as open at all times the washer probably has been damaged and needs a replacement. Good luck - keep us posted. Oh, don't forget to remove the abrasive auto head cleaner while you are in there.
12-23-2017, 06:25 AM
Free Member

Just wanted to close the loop on this one. I packaged up the faulty VCR into its box and it's been out of the way since my last post in this thread. I actually placed an order (per my last) but they got back to me a few days later to say that the belt was out of stock - so it gave me another chance to decide, and I decided to cancel the order. I've since picked up a spares/repairs HS830 and swapped the Z-mech over and all is well
The following users thank gutt3d for this useful post: lordsmurf (02-06-2018)