Go Back    Forum > Digital Publishing / Web Sites > Web Hosting

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
09-27-2016, 05:41 AM
Free Member

First of all, I want to thank kpmedia for the recommendations you made here and on WHT.

I've a semi-dedicated account on StableHost and I'm pretty happy with their service.

Now, I am planning to purchase a new semi-dedicated hosting and narrowed my choices down to MDDHosting / Veerotech / MonsterMegs.

1) Veerotech price is Attractive. But,

Is Veerotech's SSD Business comparable to StableHost's enterprise?

When I asked about the number of customers per server, they said, they don't have a set number of accounts per server and they can add memory and CPU's at any time. But StableHost limits this only to 100 accounts per server.

2) MonsterMeg's enterprise CPUs are 3.50GHz. Is their any advantage to join them over Veerotech's 2.40GHz CPUs.

3) Looks like MDDHosting is similar to StableHost and got more reviews on WHT.

Which one would be best for uptime? and Fast?

My websites are in WordPress, well optimized, high traffic websites using cloudflare.

Thanks for your time.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

09-27-2016, 02:38 PM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

Welcome.

Realize that some things are fungible. For example, 3.5ghz may actually be the same as 2.4ghz, depending on the exact processor. And even that can be affected by exact CloudLinux settings. So don't get too lost in tiny details, don't be bamboozled by numbers. Details are very important, yes, but never lose site of the overall picture.

Veerotech is using cloud architecture, while Stablehost is still on traditional servers. So VT scales, while SH is stranded to the box. That's why each gave answers as they did, regarding server population. (FYI: This is why I find the label "enterprise" a bit irksome, as it's NOT at all enterprise in nature. Modern true enterprise solutions have failover. SH does not.)

The choice is narrowed down pretty well: Veerotech and MDDHosting are excellent, MonsterMegs pretty good.
Stablehost is excellent as you know.
And just to throw in a monkey wrench, Squidix is another choice you've overlooked.

Support and uptime are pretty equal at all of them, so it really does come down to location and exact hosting specs that matter most.

Overall, Veerotech ma be slightly less powerful, but you're paying less. And it may not matter to you anyway. It all depends on your exact resource needs. What has prompted you to look into semi-dedicated?

Give me a clearer idea of your sites. For example, you mentioned "sites", plural. Since semi-dedicated hosting is usually just "shared on steroids", using cPanel, it means no WHM access. So you're forced to use "addon domains", which is a security risk for any CMS (forums included). What all are you putting into a single account? Semi-dedi is usually best for single large sites.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
09-28-2016, 01:44 AM
Free Member

Yes, I have two WP blog sites to fill in. Both are well optimized, with minimal plugins according to my little knowledge.

Sometimes, the usage spikes more than 100% on my current 1 CPU set up on HawkHost. No other issues are there. I don't need more RAM, I/O, Process limits etc. CPU is the only issue there and I don't want my visitors to wait for long. Sure, the traffic will rise in future.

I don't need Reseller hosting and don't know how to configure VPS. That's why I am looking for semi-dedicated option.
09-28-2016, 01:53 AM

Have you installed the P3 plugin (made by Godaddy) to see where the CPU leak is? It may show that the site has an issue, or confirm that the hosting server has issues.

Just having 2 sites isn't a huge deal, though I'd still make sure both are separate (not both nested in public_html). It's still a security risk (if 1 gets hacked, both get hacked), but not horrible -- especially if you (and the host) have reliable frequent backups.

I think you'd be fine at Veerotech.

When it comes to WordPress plugins causing CPU (ab/over)use, it doesn't hit a ceiling. If the CPU had 2.5ghz, the plugin would use it. If the CPU had 3.5ghz, the plugins would again use it. It's not much different from desktop computing, where a bad process will eat a whole core, or whole CPU. The process needs to be killed, and then addressed to avoid future problems. I experienced that myself this week, with Windows update consuming a whole core.

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
09-28-2016, 04:16 AM
Free Member

Not an issue with some plugin. I think its normal as the CPU usage varies b/w 75 - 100% on HawkHost plan. Maybe some WordPress theme-plugin conflict during peaks.

Anyway, I am gonna try VeeroTech. That way I could use more CPU power when needed. Will use your referral link for purchase. Thanks.
09-28-2016, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepdesigns View Post
Will use your referral link for purchase. Thanks.
Thanks. That's how we keep this site up.

Closed Thread