Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
10-21-2016, 09:46 PM
Premium Member

What is my best program for chopping?.....I have Adobe Premire Elements 10 and Virtual Dub Lord Smurf vesion.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

10-22-2016, 08:43 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,308 Times in 982 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockovids View Post
What is my best program for chopping?.....I have Adobe Premire Elements 10 and Virtual Dub Lord Smurf vesion.
What is Chopping?
10-24-2016, 12:06 PM
Premium Member

Simply, cutting out unwanted footage. Sorry, have been working 2 jobs lately. Also not sur why font is so big looking on my Galaxy s5??
10-24-2016, 03:02 PM
Premium Member

If you're working with lossless YUY2 capture, cut and join can be done in Adobe or in VirtualDub. If you're using huffyuv and YUY2, have you tried that with Adobe? It's no problem with Virtualub. If you want to work denosising, color correction, cropping off head switching noise, steadying frames, whatever, Adobe is practically useless for that kind of restoration work.
10-25-2016, 12:58 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Congrats.

He uses "chopping". I often use the phrase "scissors and tape style editing".

VirtualDub is great at excising/cutting/chopping footage. It sucks at splicing, and often has audio sync problems. For full cut/splice, use an NLE like Premiere.

Womble MPEG-VCR is good for MPEG cutting. It also sucks at merging clips. For that, use Womble MPEG Video Wizard. I still have version 4 or 5, the "DVD" version, and it works flawlessly even on Windows 7. Those Womble programs work great on everything from ME to 7, which is not often found.

Restoring is the land of VirtualDub, Avisynth, TMPGEnc Plus (minor use), Mercalli, and even Adobe (color). But restoring and editing should never be done in one pass. Those are separate tasks. Editing happens after clip restoration.

Stay lossless to the end. Huffyuv is most universal.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
10-25-2016, 10:10 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockovids View Post
Premiere Elements doesn't have the advanced color controls of Premiere Pro, or even those available for VirtualDub for that matter. For other restoration work, AVisynth and VirtualDub are far more advanced and capable than Premiere Elements. The time for an NLE like Elements would be after cleanup and other corrections using lossless media.
11-01-2016, 06:05 AM
Premium Member

Thank you for your replies and enthusiasm!..I Just need to "trim" down captured "raw" .avi files (huyff) files for now, for storage as raw files, no color correction or restoration, etc..I captured my tapes "whole" or "live" and am happy with results "as is", now just need to discard un-needed footage and reduce/save important footage with the programs I currently have, (as mentioned above)...since the .avi file format creates such huge, but lossless (and desireable) files. (Masters for heavier editing later)....Also I don't know what's going on, but the font size of text, on my android device is real huge, in thi's reply, and I can't seem to make it smaller, while, meanwhile, the rest of existing page font is tiny????
11-01-2016, 06:18 AM
Premium Member

Boo! By the way..and Happy Halloween/All Saints Day!