Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Edit Video, Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools
03-21-2006, 01:09 PM
Free Member

Send a message via Yahoo to SavageAmusement
QUESTION

I have done a lot of vhs to dvd lately.

Can someone tell me their perosnal opinon the options of
AVI or MPEG are available....to the naked eye i can't see much difference.
And I have read so much my brain is fogged

Some opinion here?

Thank you SO much

"That which does not kill me, better run pretty dang fast..."
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

03-21-2006, 02:57 PM
Free Member

Depends on what you are doing. I tend to stay away from AVI and use strictly MPEG2 DVD compliant video files. I find capturing the files in real-time MPEG is easier and I don't notice any difference. LS could probably answer this better, but basically your looking at uncompressed video (AVI) vs. compressed video (MPEG).
03-21-2006, 04:17 PM
Free Member

I agree with Tribble up there. Mpeg2

Standard DVD players don't play avi format. You can watch it on your computer.

Or convert with VSO, or tmepg etc . Why go through the extra hassle .When you don't have to.

Capture in Mpeg2 . All you have to do is add menus then burn.
03-21-2006, 07:00 PM
Free Member

Send a message via Yahoo to SavageAmusement
Thanks for the feedback. I have been using Nero Vision lately, and it has so many options my brain is whimpering

"That which does not kill me, better run pretty dang fast..."
03-22-2006, 01:07 AM
Premium Member

It all depends on what you want to do with your video and what you are using to capture it.

Use AVI if you are going to be editing the video heavily (anything more than removing commercials). Editing programs such as Adobe Premier prefer AVI and handle it much easier and faster than MPG. If you are going to be converting to another format (DiVX, etc.), then AVI is the way to go as well. Use AVI for video you want to process through programs and filters such as Virtual Dub.

Use MPG if the final result is going to be a DVD. MPG also works well if you are going to use TMPG to process the video and remove noise and/or correct color. Keep in mind that every encode/re-encode of MPG video will reduce quality. That's why it's best to start with AVI for heavy processing and work down to MPG. Good MPG capture cards (such as the ATI All in Wonder) will do a lot of processing and filter for you in the capture process. They also (when correctly set) create DVD compliant files that can be imported directly into authoring programs.

Visis http://www.digitalfaq.com and read up for more detailed info behind what each format is good for.
03-24-2006, 04:24 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
MPEG is an end-product format. It can be used for editing, under certain circumstances, but that's a complex conversation that I don't feel like getting into, and I doubt it would apply to anybody at CPS beyond myself, allaboutduncan and markatisu.

AVI is an editing format. I mean intensive editing and processing, not something silly and simply like removing commercials. That's not as much editing as it's just splicing. You can splice with any format. AVI is when you do something advanced (like my X-MEN motion menus).

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs