Go Back    Forum > Digital Photography > Photo Processing, Scanning & Printing

LinkBack Thread Tools
11-06-2016, 11:38 AM
Free Member

Hello, I have an HP 2600n Laser Printer, and I am not happy with the printing results. It is not printing what I see on the screen. I don't have much invested in it, as I bought it for $5.99 from a thrift store. Well, the Cyan toner is completely out and yellow is almost out. I want to ask if it would be worth buying the toners, or a totally different printer. Also, what would the best laser printer be in 2016 for printing out DVD covers? Can lordsmurf help? I know he has said in the past the Konika/Minolta laser printers are good, but I just want to make sure that is still the case. Also, is there a Konika/Minolta printer that is more accessible than the one lordsmurf has recommended in the past? The only place I can find it is eBay.

Oh, also the other two toners (black and magenta) were refilled before I bought the printer. I don't know how many times they've been refilled, but I know when you do that, it doesn't print the same.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

11-06-2016, 01:48 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,447 Times in 2,079 Posts
Since 2012, I've use the K-M 1600W: https://www.amazon.com/Konica-Minolt...b644d87b0f2077

Note that it used to be quite a bit cheaper than $450. Amazon has some for $245, but are currently out of stock. Unknown if they'll get more, as the model is discontinued (all of their printers seem to be discontinued). There does seem to be lots of new-old-stock out there.

This isn't a terrible price ($275): http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53...AAAOSwBs1XMiPq

My Minolta 2300W bit the dust after almost 10 years. The new isn't quite as perfect, but it's close.

If I was looking at a new printer these days, I'd start my shopping with Brother. They've come a long way with laser printers. But I'd feel uncomfortably suggesting a model, since I've not seen one lately. There are several in the $200-300 range, and reviews look good (once you remove the stupid/clueless comments).

- Konica has essentially left the printer business
- Minolat is of course gone
- HP has always had color issues (terribly tint shifts), and probably always will
- Xerox is low-end junk

Always be sure your screen is calibrated.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: universalmonstergirl (11-08-2016)
11-08-2016, 09:20 AM
Free Member

Thank you, lordsmurf, for replying so quickly! I really appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions.
Also, another question I have is what scanner do you recommend to produce the best DVD cover scans?
Thanks so much!
11-08-2016, 10:19 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,447 Times in 2,079 Posts
Buy the V600: https://www.amazon.com/Epson-Perfect...e5db0b6d868647
This scanner is awesome.

The V300/similar are nice for around $100, but for under $200 you also get hardware cleanup filters (ICE, etc) on the V600. This scanner is great for photos, too. I really dislike spending huge amount of time cleaning dust/scratches/etc from images. Those filters do the work for you, mostly. Your cleanup time will be reduced to almost nothing.

FYI: The V600 used to be more costly, so the price drop is nice. Take advantage of it.

This is what I use, and after much research into, and lots of testing.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
11-09-2016, 09:03 AM
Free Member

Thank you so much! I really appreciate it!

Tags
dvd cover, laser printer, printing