Go Back    Forum > Digital Life > Computers

LinkBack Thread Tools
11-14-2016, 12:41 PM
Free Member

The ViewSonic IPS monitor I have been using with my XP capture machines so far has been working well, but now I am looking towards a new IPS monitor for HD work. I ran across this Dell Ultrasharp U2415 model for under $400:

Dell Ultrasharp U2415 24" IPS Monitor

Its gotten some good reviews and claims that it was calibrated from the factory but that would have to be tested in actual use since many are calibrated for photography, not always for video work. I want to get a better hand on color accuracy and grading to get my pictures to look the way it should be.

Any thoughts?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

11-15-2016, 11:17 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,308 Times in 982 Posts
The U2415 is a more than decent monitor, but don't go by factory calibrations. In Dell's case it's an OK factory job with a premium LG-made panel, but not quite on the mark. Don't go by user reviews, as many wouldn't know a calibrated monitor from a horse. Here is an exhaustive review of the U2415 from its mounting stand to its black levels and everything else -- it's a long web page, but scroll about halfway down for calibration reports and graphs: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2415.htm . Unless you're working specifically for a printer device, most monitors are calibrated for D6500 sRGB standards. A good colorimeter and calibration kit is the only way to go, regardless of monitor.

On that same web page, the Dell's tested default factory performance is here: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/...415.htm#colour.
A report after full calibration is here: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/...tm#calibration.
11-15-2016, 03:28 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VideoTechMan View Post
but now I am looking towards a new IPS monitor for HD work.
Any thoughts?
I'm not swayed by this statement.

What is "HD" about this slightly-larger 24" that then 23" 1920x1080 (aka HD!) ViewSonic IPS LCD cannot do?

24" isn't an upgrade to me. A true upgrade would be like 30" or more. And honestly, even that is somewhat small. I'd want to double the width (and therefore the height). Of course, then I'd have to sit back some to see it all, so I'm not sure how useful it'd really be. Plus resolution would surely be 4K, not mere HD.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs