Go Back    Forum > Digital Life > Computers

LinkBack Thread Tools
11-24-2016, 09:04 PM
Free Member

hi guys , I am really new here and please be gentle as i may be in the wrong sub forum here.
I would like to know how to record movies and tv shows from my computer to my old vcrs ,
I have several , and love vhs tapes , can someone please go slow and help me , many thanks, grumpy
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

05-24-2017, 10:40 PM
Free Member

I actually have a friend that knows how to do this. Let me get in touch with him and find out the method then I will forward it on!! Give me a day or 2
05-25-2017, 01:17 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
There's really no good way to go from computer to VHS. There are a lot of things to consider -- honestly too much to go into, and a waste of time since it's highly not suggested. The interlace and overscan considerations alone are enough to make this a headache.

These days:
- create DVD or Blu-ray
- stream as-is from original files

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
05-30-2017, 08:41 PM
Free Member

hi DigiJ any luck ????
05-31-2017, 10:29 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy999 View Post
I would like to know how to record movies and tv shows from my computer to my old vcrs ,
Hi Grumpy

Your VCR would like to see about 1 volt peak to peak (or .707 volts "rms root mean square") video input signal and about the the same on the audio input. Your VCR likely also has an RF input (coax F type) for VHF channel 3 or 4 (selectable) for both video and audio. for this discussion we will disregard this coaxial input.

The Sound

The output from your computer the one that normally goes to you external amplifier to be amplified for speakers is probably about the right level and the right format for your VCR to record. Just run a patch cord from the computer to the VCR. The computer end probably a phone jack/phone plug TRS (tip ring sleeve 3 contact) 3.5 mm (0.14 in) and two RCA type plugs at the vcr end.

The Picture

For the video,(previously digitized television shows) your computer will have to take those digitial files and convet them to analog.
PVR (personal video recorder) type cards which play back previously recorded television on your TV are designed to do this. Instead of playing back the video on a TV, input that signal to the record in receptacle (RCA receptacle or Svideo) on your VCR. The PVR card may be finicky as to what file type It likes to play back though. Also it may be you need to grab your audio from the PVR card.

Do you have the original hardware which was used to save the movies and TV shows to your computer? This hardware would be a good place to start.

Of course you can do this. Keep in mind tapes you make are not going to be any more resilient that they were 10 or 20 years ago. The Quality of your movie or TV show will not get better because you put it on tape and your VCR collection as well as VHS tapes will degrade further with time.

It would be ok to do this for fun or a project but not worthwhile as a way of saving disk space since disk space is so cheap now.

This brings up a good question I need to ask myself. What to do with the dozens of VHS tapes and Audio reel to reel tapes that I have squirreled away? Some of these tapes have nothing worthwhile recorded on them and/or I have already saved them in another format.
06-02-2017, 03:37 PM
Free Member

In fact there are 2 easy and straightforward ways for those who own either a Canopus ADVC 55/100/110 or similar converter or a miniDV videocamera with analog video Passthrough. Each of these devices allow to convert a digital video back from a PC by Firewire connection to converter and then Analog Video/Audio Out. In the case with Canopus there are dedicated Analog Outputs and the capability to switch the direction of conversion from Analog > Digital to Digital > Analog. The same goes for a miniDV camera with Passthrough. You will have to switch the A/V >DV Out in the Menu to Off which will lead to opposite direction of conversion: Firewire Digital In to A/V Analog Out. Regarding the necessity for a Firewire port many of Windows laptops do have one.
If you don't have any of these devices you may possibly try to borrow or to buy cheaply a used Sony miniDV with Passthrough capability with even broken optics or mechanics because you only need the electronics to be functional.

Good luck!
Maris
06-03-2017, 05:31 PM
Free Member

Another option is to get a dedicated downscaler like this one: CYP-388.
They turn up on ebay from time to time for not too much money, I got one for about £30.

I did a quick recording and capture of this Youtube video to give an idea of what to expect, the avi file is here (there's no sound).
09-11-2017, 07:28 AM
Invalid Email / Banned / Spammer

Man it is 2017, move on to the latest technology. There's hardly anyone here who still use VCR
09-11-2017, 02:13 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy999 View Post
I have several , and love vhs tapes , can someone please go slow and help me , many thanks, grumpy
You see, he loves the VHS picture. So he is not interested in modern methods. Otherwise I would suggest Free Studio Video/Audio convertor and utilitie package which contains Free Screen video recorder