Go Back    Forum > Featured > General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools
12-27-2016, 10:55 PM
Free Member

Hello, I wasn't sure how to contact your company so am doing through your forum: I have about 50 VHS and Betamax tapes that go back over 30 years. Some of the older tapes are degraded a bit so I want to transfer to digital format. I don't need DVD's and can burn them later if needed. What I want to do is preserve mostly family events and document family history. I tried the Roxio 'Easy VHS to DVD Capture' and the quality was reduced compared to playback on TV. I suspect this is partly due to using a cheap analog to digital application, so hopefully you can do better. What format would you recommend for best quality - lossless of some sort. I assume you can do restoration when needed. Thank you

BTW. I spent a few hours looking at better equipment for VHS to digital transfer, but the cost of a good VCR, a higher-end Analog I/O Device, a TBC, plus all my time to deal with this will probably not be worth it for this number of tapes, in contrast to the cost of a commercial service.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

01-09-2017, 01:01 AM
Free Member

Roxio 'Easy VHS to DVD Capture is the "garbage in, garbage out" route. Send a PM to LordSmurf if you want it done professionally. You won't regret it, and it'll be much easier than starting from the ground up.
01-09-2017, 09:30 AM
Free Member

I totally agree with your assessment of Roxio's software.

Regarding how to contact "LordSmurf", I have no idea how to do that other than posting on the forum - this is what the clicking the "Contact" tab said to do. If Lordsmurf has a commercial service, it's unclear why contact info isn't obvious???

BTW I googled "PM" and this abbreviation has a lot of meanings such as "Penn Masala, a Hindi a cappella group from the University of Pennsylvania, USA" - so not sure what you are referring to? If it means private message, I'm not familiar with your forum and didn't see that option.

Thanks!!!!
01-09-2017, 01:56 PM
Free Member

Yes, send a Penn Masala song to LordSmurf first. That's how you get his attention. He loves that group.

No, I meant to send a private message, via his profile page Contact Info tab:
http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/members/lordsmurf.html
01-09-2017, 02:18 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
No, don't PM service requests. Use the contact form: http://www.digitalFAQ.com/forum/sendmessage.php
Somebody will get right back to you.

What you need can be done.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs