Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Encode, Convert for streaming

LinkBack Thread Tools
01-07-2017, 05:55 AM
Premium Member

Please Ignore my last post, I fixed the "No Audio" problem on my video uploads, by Uninstalling/Reinstalling VLC. I have converted my Interlaced .avi Video files with VLC to Mp4, for uploading to media share website. Made sure not to check "de-interlace" checkbox during covert in VLC, But when I view converted/uploaded files on Home PC (Firefox browser) or on Smartphone (Chrome browser), they still have edgey, "Comb" effect instead of "smooth", which would indicate an Interlace or De-Interlace setting on the processing end of website? or am I missing something. I know I should not De-Interlace the Interlaced source file when converting .avi to .mp4,Right?..most of the viewers of my videos so far, seem to like them as is, But I am the eternal perfectionist!
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

01-07-2017, 07:35 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,307 Times in 982 Posts
Websites like YouTube, etc., deinterlace and re-encode your vidoes. Interlaced and/or telecined videosd aren't valid for internet streaming.

Processing your videos with VLC is a lazy and inferior way of doing it. Learn to do it properly. Consult the transfer requirements of video sites and process correctly for their requirements using something better than VLC. Use Avisynth and QTGMC for the best deinterlacing, or at least use VirtualDub and yadif. That would be better than VLC or budget NLE's for deinterlacing. The better your own processing, the better your videos will look online when a websites gets finished with it.
01-07-2017, 04:09 PM
Premium Member

Thanks Sanlyn, just saw the guides for Avisynth, think I'll try that. I know VLC is lazy/quickie way, but I'm very short on time lately, and have been working on getting decent captures for a long,long time, wanted to get something slapped up to this railroad video site, with intent on uploading better encoded copies later. And what is QTGMC?..I can't afford to pay extra for anything currently. The site is Trainorders.com, preferred format is .mp4. Do I need to email them asking any further encoding details about thier encoding process?

Last edited by rocko; 01-07-2017 at 04:34 PM. Reason: Add
01-07-2017, 05:08 PM
Premium Member

QTGMC is a free Avisynth plugin. Youi neewd to look at tech forum posts other than just your own. QTGMC is used and dsicussesd everywhere.

The general rule is this: if you do what you did before, you'll get the same results.
01-07-2017, 05:19 PM
Premium Member

Sorry, my bad, I ment to say that I read the guide about AVIDMUX, not AVISYNTH, which appealed to me because it's free, was thinking of trying that out as a better choice than VLC, due my current financial situation.
01-07-2017, 05:21 PM
Premium Member

I believe Avidemx uses yadif to deinterlace. It's a very limited free software, but nit works. You do realize that you can also set VLC to use yadif for deinterlacing. I don't use Avidemux, as each version has a different aspect ratio glitch and other problems. But there won't be much difference between Avidemux and what you do with VLC to deinterlace. You won't get better results than working with Avisynth, so if your time is limited you'll have to use what matches your schedule.
01-07-2017, 05:44 PM
Premium Member

One last question, my master video files were captured .avi using AT AIW 9600, on XP PC, and all the way following DFAQ advice. So the files are .avi interlaced, should I hit the "De-interlace" button in VLC before converting to .mp4?, last time I tried that in VLC, a small window-error box popped up saying VLC could not process (or something like that), but it converted ok without checking the de-interlace box B4 converting...BTW Happy New Year to you and Admin @ DFAQ!