Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Hardware Repair

LinkBack Thread Tools
02-11-2017, 05:56 PM
Free Member

I have a Panasonic NV-HD620AM VCR. Both PAL and NTSC tapes recorded in SP play back perfectly. When I put in a PAL tape recorded in LP.... OR an NTSC tape recorded in EP, the tape will not play back cleanly. The VCR will not lock sync and I get an image that looks like this. See video attachment

I've tried cleaning the heads with Alcohol and microfiber cloth...but that doesn't seem to fix it.

Are the LP/EP heads just shot?

Attached Files
File Type: mov SLP playback NV620.MOV (35.50 MB, 9 downloads)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

02-11-2017, 09:03 PM
Free Member

nesburf verify that you dont have accumulation of debris fore or aft of any of your tape heads on the drum/cylinder also in addition to looking carefully with a loupe

loupe.JPG

at the heads.

To me it looks like it could be a problem with one or more of the flying heads. I read that on 4 head machines two of them are there specifically for EP.

I didn't know a VCR could play PAL and NTSC I have never really done anything with PAL

good luck

02-12-2017, 10:17 AM
Free Member

I've taken a picture of each head and attached them, some do look like they have some black streak before the head...I've tried cleaning them numerous times with 99% isopropyl alcohol but nothing seems to clear it up.

Do they look damaged?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0083.jpg (67.5 KB, 11 downloads)
File Type: jpg IMG_0084.jpg (65.3 KB, 6 downloads)
File Type: jpg IMG_0085.jpg (65.1 KB, 7 downloads)
File Type: jpg IMG_0086.jpg (64.8 KB, 7 downloads)
02-12-2017, 12:10 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nesburf View Post
I've taken a picture of each head and attached them, some do look like they have some black streak before the head...I've tried cleaning them numerous times with 99% isopropyl alcohol but nothing seems to clear it up.

Do they look damaged?
I can not see with the magnification of the photos if the heads are damaged. Mostly I would look for anything embedded in the coils or bent broken wires. Pictures are a great Idea. I have seen that residue/dirt cause problems many times. You must get that off. I have a tiny bit of Freon TF left from 30 years ago which I still use. I do not think that is available now, anyway even with Freon TF I sometimes still have to scrub pretty hard to get those deposit off. On the aluminum drum you could use something more abrasive to scrub ( I generally use a Q tip here ) and possibly a light detergent.

Of course be careful not to end up with a rough surface on the drum and clean any detergent off. Treat the heads differently as Q tips there can cause damage. I am only saying what I would do. You need a steady hand and use common sense.

Why does the debris/dirt on the drum not on the video heads make a difference? I theorize that the debris holds the tape away a small amount from making intimate contact with the video heads. I know that sometimes it messes up the picture.
02-12-2017, 12:21 PM
Free Member

Thanks for your replies bever,

What baffles me is that tapes recorded in SP mode(both PAL and NTSC) playback crystal clear, no issues whatsoever. You'd think if there was some direct on the drum or heads, it would affect both SP and LP/EP.

Could this be a tracking issue? Guide posts need to be adjusted?
02-12-2017, 02:17 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nesburf View Post
Thanks for your replies bever,

What baffles me is that tapes recorded in SP mode(both PAL and NTSC) playback crystal clear, no issues whatsoever. You'd think if there was some direct on the drum or heads, it would affect both SP and LP/EP.

Could this be a tracking issue? Guide posts need to be adjusted?
I would think if the guide posts are in need of adjustment then you would have trouble on both SP and LP/EP. Could you have enough dirt near one of the EP heads to be affecting only one speed?
I dont have much experience adjusting guide posts but seem to recall a model specific procedure along with a calibrated alignment tape. It is one of those things that is as much an art as science. In my opinion before changing any mechanical alignment you should rule out debris on the drum.

Your VCR will Play PAL and NTSC. Does that mean that when you play a Pal tape you must view it on an PAL TV and vice versa?
02-12-2017, 02:24 PM
Free Member

So basically when you playback an NTSC tape, it outputs an NTSC signal, when you playback a PAL tape it outputs a PAL signal.

I have a broadcast monitor that is capable of both and automatically detects whatever the incoming signal is.

I've cleaned the heads so many times now with alcohol and a microfiber cloth but it doesn't seem to clear up the picture at all.
02-12-2017, 02:40 PM
Free Member

I was curious and googled the model number of your vcr and found a picture of one from germany. It has written on the front NTSC playback in PAL. Saw your cross post in video help forum also. My free advise for whatever value is to get the dirt off and rule that out as a cause before you venture to other possible causes. Once you dont see an obvious streak of dirt directly before and after any of the heads then you can try some thing else. The dirt is tough but you are stronger.
02-12-2017, 02:44 PM
Free Member

thanks, will continue to try cleaning the heads. wonder if there is something strong than alcohol I can use. someone on the other forum suggested acetone, but I wonder if that would be too much.
03-07-2017, 03:37 AM
Free Member

SP and LP use different heads so LP head can be damaged while SP is fine. Do you have a 50mm lens for an SLR? Any make or speed, as long as you can open the aperture wide manually is fine. Using a small 1AAA LED torch (not phone, too bulky) such as Lumintop Tool, shine on the head chip while looking through the front of the SLR lens and focus on each head tip by moving the lens. It takes practice but moving the light source, head and lens you can see damage, dirt and wear very clearly. Note, any other magnifier or light source I have tried is not as good as the above, always just blurry.
03-07-2017, 09:11 PM
Free Member

Yeah it turns out one of the heads was indeed damaged. Caused problems for the EP/LP playback.

I ended up buying a Panasonic NV-HS860 VCR and it worked well..

Thanks for all your help.
The following users thank nesburf for this useful post: lordsmurf (03-11-2017)