Go Back    Forum > Featured > Marketplace

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
03-16-2017, 07:42 PM
Premium Member

The JVC 9900U is a top of the line VCR that is highly recommended. It is one of the BEST VCR's you can purchase. It is perfect for doing your VHS to DVD/Digital, record or even play tapes.

We have sold several units already on this website, have three more units which have been professionally refurbished

All transaction are done via paypal, the VCR will ship out with in a day of the purchase, send a PM here on DIGITAL FAQ.

Cosmetically, these units were used is a professional shop, being stack on top of another, so they have a few
scratches and nicks on the outward case. However this doesn't affect the playback of the unit.

One left!
Selling off 3 more units, the price includes shipping, if you live in Canada, the rate changes and will have to adjust the price.

All units work, load and come with a fully working remote as well. (You need a remote for these machines).

Sale price, $525, all units were refurbished, money was invested in to each of these machines,

Best settings to use:

Video Stabilization - Off
Picture - Edit
Audio - HI-FI (Problem tape with bad audio use the norm feature)
Digital R3 - Hit or Miss, test out on each tape which looks better
Picture Calibration - Off
Superimpose - Off
TBC - make sure the light is on, it the green light on the front of the VCR

(From dealing with many JVC decks over the years, be careful loading tapes in an out of the machines, the loading mechanism on the JVC decks are the biggest problem you face, unlike the AG-1980 in which you need to rebuild the entire machine.)

The HR-S9900U is the top-of-the-line JVC S-VHS video recorder. It features an advanced ghost reduction tuner, and a new video navigation feature to easily locate your favorite recordings. Super VHS with a 4MB Digi Pure System, 19 Micron Heads & "ET" mode provide JVC's best picture, and the high resolution recording with any tape. High resolution Super VHS and VHS

Super VHS ET Recording
19 micron width EP Heads
DigiPure Technology w/ TBC and 4MB Frame Memory
Dynamic Drum w/ TimeScan and Pro-Slow

Also have refurbished, Panasonic AG 1980 units for sale, these have been completely rebuilt, PM my account if interested.

Here is a Demo Clip
https://youtu.be/epXTlpNRTF8

Your post has been approved. Please note that it may have been edited to comply with rules for posting in the marketplace. We hope you're able to sell your video/photos/computer item, or locate your want — all for free, and better than you could on eBay or Craigslist. Thanks!

Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

03-28-2017, 08:10 PM
Premium Member

Only have 1 unit left, this is the last machine.

Sold 9 since Christmas time, that is pretty good. Don't think will be able to do this again, just getting in all these VCR's was pot luck. Yes many of them had to be fixed, that is how I got them. It is not like repairing the AG units, it is a lot easier.
03-29-2017, 12:58 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,442 Times in 2,075 Posts
Those JVC 9500-9911 are nice VCRs, especially the 9600-9900.

But I completely disagree that EDIT is the best setting. NORM tends to be the best. This setting is what engages the JVC NR, which is one of the main reasons (not just TBC) to get the JVC. This is especially true of the 9600-9911 units.

I've edited your post to add that "1 unit left" info.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
03-29-2017, 07:17 AM
Premium Member

lordsmurf,

We always have our little disagreements. My issue with the JVC VCR's has always been the softness of the video. You have no real sharpen feature. For the most part you get a dulled image. The edit feature to me looks sharper than Norm. With out getting major distortion.

It is the detail of the picture that gets soften or smeared.

Our eyes are different, we don't see details the same. However I use HDMI up convert video output for my final results.

The goal has always been to get a most detailed image with the least amount of distortion.

This is hard to explain on tapes with the JVC decks
Can get a distortion effect which creates an unnatural artifacts around an individual or objects.
The back round features also get blurred in to the video.

If you have an SP recorded tape this effect is minimized. The Doctor Who example above, it is only slight.

Created a video sample which took a while to produce showing this effect vs the AG 1980 unit. Most people have no idea how to set the AG 1980 up getting the perfect balance of sharpness and detail out of the picture. (than again 90% of people never have a fully working unit)

Sadly this is what happened to my video on YouTube, even sent them a letter saying this video was being used for a demonstration.

Demo Clips of the JVC 9900 vs the AG 1980
This video contains content from BBC Worldwide, who has blocked it on copyright grounds.

Have to make a new one

Let us just look at picture stills.

The 1st picture is of an SP recorded tape of the 97 Masters, because of how the tape was recorded the nature of the video and the JVC features of how it filters the picture. This is the best results I can get out of any of my VCR's.

(Making a note, the JVC 9800 vs JVC 9900 you do get a color difference in the picture, the 9800 has more color brightness and higher saturation levels)

Picture #1 is the 9900

The next two pictures are from a 1985 recording, using a JVC VCR, for it's age it is very good but you do get those effects of what I speak about in this post.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg A+.jpg (52.1 KB, 23 downloads)
File Type: jpg A.jpg (40.1 KB, 20 downloads)
File Type: jpg B.jpg (49.1 KB, 19 downloads)

Last edited by deter; 03-29-2017 at 07:38 AM.
03-29-2017, 07:58 AM
Site Staff | Video

I think part of the issue is also that sharpness varies unit to unit, and model to model. I've been noticing this more in the past 6 months, with all the testing I've been doing.

Just upload your sample here. I'm not fond of samples/examples at Youtube.

03-29-2017, 09:37 AM
Premium Member

The video was 13 minutes long, too big to upload.

Re cut it to a sample clip and was used in my other post.

Here it is again.

On the video doing 1 minute 50 seconds, cutting JVC to 1980 back an forth.

Attached Files
File Type: mpg JVC match AG1980.mpg (95.58 MB, 27 downloads)
04-24-2017, 08:30 AM
Free Member

Hi Deter, welcome back. Very happy to see you posting again! It would be more useful if you could post up the raws for both of those 1m50s sample captures. Then the same frames can be compared, rather than different portions of each scene. BTW, at 1:06 the AG-1980 jumps vertically and the washed-out black level becomes deeper; much closer to the JVC.

Better still, please post samples from an American-produced TV show. Doctor Who has field artifacts from PAL->NTSC conversion.

I have the $$$ to buy one of your repaired machines (shipped to WA), but I need to know which artifacts I see with my AG-1980 are related to component failure and which are inherent to the design.

Samples from your AG-DS840 would also be very nice to see, since you are so pleased with it.
04-24-2017, 12:04 PM
Premium Member

I don't have any AG-DS840 for sale.

The AG Units don't have many left, the specs on the VCR's are perfect. Sorry used to sell Doctor Who VHS tapes, that is why I used them as sample, but YouTube ended up blocking the videos.

Only have 1 JVC 9900 for sale.

Here are samples from my other post:

Panasonic AG 1980, Demo Clip, Sports Recording 1990
https://youtu.be/Zg43E6vxaoo

Panasonic AG 1980 Demo, Store Purchased Movie Rental for early 90ties.
https://youtu.be/8VGw2QCbBRg

Panasonic AG 1980, Demo Clip, TV Concert, 1990
https://youtu.be/y7NlCI0FQSQ
04-24-2017, 12:11 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deter View Post
I don't have any AG-DS840 for sale.
Didn't mean to imply that you did. I'd just like to see what's better about it.

Quote:
Here are samples from my other post:

Panasonic AG 1980, Demo Clip, Sports Recording 1990
https://youtu.be/Zg43E6vxaoo

Panasonic AG 1980 Demo, Store Purchased Movie Rental for early 90ties.
https://youtu.be/8VGw2QCbBRg

Panasonic AG 1980, Demo Clip, TV Concert, 1990
https://youtu.be/y7NlCI0FQSQ
Can't tell anything from YT samples, sadly. Their deinterlacing is god-awful and the re-compression smooths over whatever detail is left.
04-24-2017, 01:35 PM
Premium Member

msgohan,

Honestly, these are VCR's, they have 240 lines. Uploaded them interlaced. Watch other VHS videos on Youtube you will see a mega difference. If the quality is no good enough, don't really know what you want. The JVC 9900 or the AG 1980 are the best VCR's. My opinion the AG1980 is the best.

You tell me, a better VCR, I'll buy it

The broadcast decks only play SP tapes....

This is other peoples uploads of the same Rolling Stones concert, I see a mega difference...

https://youtu.be/b5wo7gC8v1w

https://youtu.be/jARNrKiW-2I

https://youtu.be/_8O_-qtgFy8
04-24-2017, 02:09 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Honestly, these are VCR's, they have 240 lines. Uploaded them interlaced. Watch other VHS videos on Youtube you will see a mega difference. If the quality is no good enough, don't really know what you want.
Forget it then. If you can't see the major problems with the YouTube uploads, I don't understand why you bother spending time and money buying and fixing these machines. A $10 thrift store VCR could look the same after YouTube smooths over the image.

Quote:
The broadcast decks only play SP tapes....
I know. All of my camcorder tapes (home movies) are SP.
04-24-2017, 02:19 PM
Premium Member

Here are two direct VHS videos recorded to the JVC MV5 recorder using the AG 1980.

Have done nothing to the video it is as raw as you get.

Attached Files
File Type: mpg A.mpg (53.28 MB, 16 downloads)
File Type: mpg B.mpg (63.24 MB, 7 downloads)
04-24-2017, 02:30 PM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Here are two direct VHS videos recorded to the JVC MV5 recorder using the AG 1980.
When you stare at these samples from 6-12" away on a computer monitor, you can notice tiny flaws: temporal NR residue ("mouse trailing"), slight brightening of IRE/contrast, palette compression (like posterization, but far less worse), minor compression mosquito noise.

That's if you want to be unrealistically anal.

When you sit back 2" in the chair, or better yet watch on a large HDTV, and instead watch the content, those very minor complaints should disappear. It looks really good.

I put up with more artifacts to watch baseball games and record Roy Rogers episodes from cable.

The LSI chip has moved most nuisance noise, and replaced it with lesser issues. That's what restoration is about: making it better, not perfect. Remember that this going straight to MPEG, which compounds the added/replaced noise.

This is a decent sample clip.

Now try an EP mode retail tape. That's where an AG-1980P can destroy most (but not all!!!) JVCs.

04-24-2017, 02:49 PM
Premium Member

Since this post is about the JVC 9900, which I only have 1 left...

Here is a sample from the 97 Masters

With my eyes, for a VHS recording from 20 years ago, this is great.

Only have 1 left....

(This is my own recording, just cut a sample, nobody around has a better looking copy of the 97 Masters)

If they did, I would buy it.

These are great VCR's

Attached Files
File Type: mpg JVC.mpg (64.43 MB, 14 downloads)

Last edited by deter; 04-24-2017 at 03:05 PM.
04-24-2017, 03:05 PM
Free Member

Quote:

Have done nothing to the video it is as raw as you get.
Now that's more like it! Great, thank you.

I am wondering whether sharpness can be turned down to completely eliminate haloes. I didn't succeed with my own unit. Once I started seeing this artifact, I couldn't force myself to ignore it.

[deter]001762.png

EDIT: 97 Masters, JVC. I personally don't understand how anyone can put up with this level of blocking, but that's why I don't use DVD recorders. To each his own.

You must be logged in to view this content; either login or register for the forum. The attached screen shots, before/after images, photos and graphics are created/posted for the benefit of site members. And you are invited to join our digital media community.

Last edited by msgohan; 04-24-2017 at 03:19 PM.
04-24-2017, 05:09 PM
Premium Member

msgohan,

On the AG1980 can control sharpness and tracking. What you are asking you would have to play with it to see. When you go soft it does blur the picture.

As far as the AG units that I have, all the faults that plague these units are fixed. It is up to you the creative artist to get the results you want.

Those old Panasonic Broadcast VCR's, they are coded with 1 and 0's. The programming is not easy. Those machine have serious capacitor issues, you are talking hundreds.

-- merged --

Is your computer 1980x1080 with HDMI, that is going to expose VHS even more, on a less powerful graphics the videos look normal. HDMI brings out the details.

The 97 Masters video on a non HD TV, it looks like a TV broadcast. On my special LCD Samsung TV it also looks great, I get no blocking cause of the TV filters. Plus it was designed to make analog material look good.

On a 75 inch mac daddy HDMI Samsung it looks terrible....Yea you can see blocking....
04-24-2017, 05:40 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Is your computer 1980x1080 with HDMI, that is going to expose VHS even more, on a less powerful graphics the videos look normal. HDMI brings out the details.
1920x1200 (16:10 aspect ratio) HDMI & DVI, but yeah, I know what you mean.

Quote:
The 97 Masters video on a non HD TV, it looks like a TV broadcast. On my special LCD Samsung TV it also looks great, I get no blocking cause of the TV filters. Plus it was designed to make analog material look good.
I'm trying to get an SD-oriented setup going. This past weekend, I got a Panasonic 854x480p plasma "professional monitor" from 2005 mounted on the wall next to my 4K LCD. Unfortunately, I think it may be scaling the image even when I feed it 480.
04-24-2017, 08:26 PM
Premium Member

msgohan,

Tried to figure out why you came in here bashing these recordings, unless you are an enemy who I ticked off before. It made no sense, these are the best VCR's that you can get, miles above petty much everything out on the market. It had to be something like the HDMI upgrade of a picture. I have an HD computer, use it to fix some of the detail that I can't see on my other computers. The HDMI, also brighten and strengthens were the color is brighter and sharper than what it look like for example on this computer I am writing to you on. I saw no problems in that 97 Masters picture on this computer.

Anyway, only have a few of these AG 1980's left, I am not doing this again, were I am going to buy them and repair them. The costs are too high on my end to create a surplus of units. If you want a unit get it while I have them. If I sell them again it will be flat rate of $700. If you want an AG 1980, order today, shipping to Washington State will be $70 that is what is costs from the East Coast. Unit sale price as per the ad is $550.
04-24-2017, 08:58 PM
Free Member

Bashing?? I'm curious whether anyone else sees it that way.
04-24-2017, 10:31 PM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgohan View Post
I am wondering whether sharpness can be turned down to completely eliminate haloes.
I've long mentioned this. It's a flaw of the Panasonic S-VHS units. Many believe it to be "sharper" than JVC when it really is not. It's just artificial, and the default unity/0 setting is even pumped up some. And, as you know, the artifact from oversharpening is (at very least) edge halos.

That's not to say the deck is bad, or to be avoided. It's just a trait to be aware of. Turn it back down, left of center, and it can remove those. Not always, but it can.

Quote:
Bashing?? I'm curious whether anyone else sees it that way.
No.

And this is why:
Quote:
I am wondering
I like seeing our members have deeper-thought conversations. It can be enlightening, and I enjoy such conversations very much. You're genuinely curious, and that's why the forum exists.

But I think that deter is a bit miffed that it happened in his "for sale" thread, however, and I can understand.

Then again, he should view this as pre-sales conversations. You may be a buyer.

Perhaps I'll move this when I do maintenance later this week.

Closed Thread