Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Restore, Filter, Improve Quality

LinkBack Thread Tools
03-27-2017, 05:41 AM
Premium Member

Not sure what these are.

I've also attached a version with Premiere's Hue wheel rotating 360 degrees. As you can see, the blue jerseys go green as the yellow jerseys get redder. Yet in Color Mill, reddening the yellow jerseys also makes the blue jerseys bluer. What's the difference between the two?

Attached Files
File Type: avi Bars.avi (22.93 MB, 10 downloads)
File Type: avi BarsColors.avi (23.44 MB, 5 downloads)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

03-27-2017, 06:02 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
Those are just interference noise. It may be on the tape, or even introduced during capture due to power issues or wiring in the workflow.

You need to let us know if it's recorded onto the tape, or the cause is elsewhere.

I used to know what they're called. I've forgotten.

I was just PMing msgohan about us needing to expand the glossary with everything we know. It would be good to get the jargon for this listed, and the related info for how this error can be restored. Because there are some ways to mitigate this (mostly temporal NR).

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
03-27-2017, 06:40 AM
Premium Member

It seems to only happen when the camera zooms in, and only occur a couple of times (in close temporal proximity). Does that make one cause more likely than another?

Are you able to explain the differences between PP and CM's Hue controls?
03-27-2017, 06:42 AM
Site Staff | Video

Yep, seen that. The camera sucked. It had internal noise in the power, which cascaded into the image. Very typical of big bulky 1980s over-the-shoulder home/amateur VHS cameras. Is that what it was?

Premiere and Colormill are just different. I use whichever does what I need.

Tip: Adobe tends to use non-standard jargon and lingo, or use it wrong/differently, so never assume it means the same thing in multiple software. That's an annoyance I learned about 10-15 years ago.

03-27-2017, 07:01 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,308 Times in 982 Posts
Vertical rolling "hum bars". Caused by grounding problems in power circuits and video lines.
03-27-2017, 07:10 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
Very typical of big bulky 1980s over-the-shoulder home/amateur VHS cameras. Is that what it was?
I have absolutely no idea, I was born in the 90s. Footage is from early 1985, wasn't created for TV, and seems to have been done by someone who did it at least semi-professionally.

The biggest issue I have with ColorMill/Adobe is getting things into Adobe and then realising I needed ColorMill, and have to redo the entire thing.
03-27-2017, 07:23 AM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by koberulz View Post
I was born in the 90s.
I mentioned to msgohan a few hours ago that I need to add a Smurf smiley. Apparently, I also need to add a Grandpa Smurf smiley!

I started down a path of serious video in 1992. Out of curiosity, was that literally before your time?

Quote:
Footage is from early 1985
Definitely a bulky camera.
Whether or not the person was professional doesn't matter. The camera probably was not.

03-27-2017, 07:35 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,308 Times in 982 Posts
I do what color work I can in Avisynth and VirtualDub, which is usually enough. If something more sophisticated is required down the line (Premiere, AfterEffects) I save the results as RGB before using the other apps. I won't let Adobe change YUV to RGB.

Often for checking methods to achieve white, gray, and black points I copy a frame in VirtualDub and load it into Photoshop Pro and use their curves filter, whose settings can be saved as .acv files and imported into VirtualDub's curves filter. You have to be careful with Photoshop, as things like black borders can throw off its black balance (crop them off) and "Auto" tends to blow out upper midtones and highlights. In Photoshop I set black target value for RGB 16 or 12, gray to RGB 128, white to RGB 235 to avoid overshoots. When I use that method I always consider it basically as a starting point and tweak the results considerably. I believe Premiere also saves curve settings as .acv, but I don't remember.

Color control behavior differs widely in different apps.

Color with VHS is always tricky. Analog color problems are seldom linear: blue blacks, green grays, cyan or red whites are common in the same frame.
03-27-2017, 09:15 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
I started down a path of serious video in 1992. Out of curiosity, was that literally before your time?
Not quite. I've been around since 1991.

Quote:
Definitely a bulky camera.
Whether or not the person was professional doesn't matter. The camera probably was not.
I know nothing of 80s video tech, so I was just throwing in as much info as I could.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post
I do what color work I can in Avisynth and VirtualDub, which is usually enough. If something more sophisticated is required down the line (Premiere, AfterEffects) I save the results as RGB before using the other apps. I won't let Adobe change YUV to RGB.
Premiere's color correction tools work in YUV.

I find Premiere easier to use, because all the controls match with what's described in the Color Correction Handbook. And I can use garbage mattes to isolate neutral darks, mids, and brights, as well as skin tones.
03-27-2017, 09:24 AM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
load it into Photoshop Pro and use their curves filter, whose settings can be saved as .acv files and imported into VirtualDub's curves filter.
Never knew that. Must try it sometimes soon.

03-27-2017, 05:25 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Vertical rolling "hum bars". Caused by grounding problems in power circuits and video lines.
Agreed. https://bavc.github.io/avaa/artifacts/ac_beat.html