Go Back    Forum > Featured > Marketplace

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
03-29-2017, 12:42 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,448 Times in 2,080 Posts
All of my capture systems, most TBCs, and most capture cards are now sold.

Now it's time for my extra S-VHS VCRs to be sold!

When you work in video, tools are essential. When something stops working properly, you can't halt operations to fix it. It's set aside, and a reserve unit takes it's place. Often times, yet another reserve unit is then purchased if the fix is not easily correctable. And in a case where availability is low, you have multiple reserve hardware on standby. Needless to say, I have lots of VCRs!

This is a really nice Panasonic AG-1980P S-VHS VCR:

- cosmetically decent
- nice bright display
- image quality was fine when last used
- TBC working when last used

The issue with this unit is that it won't load a tape. When the tape is inserted, the VCR makes some noises, and then ejects the tape within 10 seconds.

I have enough VCRs for my own needs that I don't need to spent time/funds to repair this.

I'm only asking $100.

PM if interested.

And FYI, the bright display is a sign that the unit is otherwise fine, thus worth $100.

I've spoken to (actually emailed, PM'd) both TGrant Photo and forum member deter about this deck, and according to them it should be fixable.

If you buy it, I can ship it directly to TGrant or deter, upon request. Saves double-shipping hassles.

Why would you want a non-working unit, you ask?

In the long-run, it'll be the most affordable option for you. TGrant Photo will change $325 for repairs, but he sells refurbished units for $625+ shipped. I'm not sure what deter will charge for repair, but he also sells refurbished decks for $650+ as well.

By getting this deck for $100, and paying $325 to repair it, you're getting a refurbished deck for $425. That saves you about $200.

It's worth it! I have several AG-1980P, and those are quite nice.

Why not eBay, you ask?

The days of finding a nice working Panasonic S-VHS VCR for $250-350 are over. That was the 2000s, not the 2010s. The last Panasonic S-VHS VCRs were manufactured over 10 years ago, well past the life of the caps. The units you find now are usually in shambles: bad/overused heads, bad caps, bad displays, bad everything. Forum member deter has a recent horror story of getting a unit, opening it up, and finding dead cockroaches inside! Yuck!

Don't fall for a claim of "unit works great" or "tested" when the price is under $500. It's going to be bullplop and you'll then have to hassle with refunds and returns. I've run into this myself (trying to test some obscure hardware), as have many others. Not just this site, but elsewhere.

Get a VCR from somebody known to be trustworthy, and/or have it looked over by a qualified tech. Which is what the posting is for.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

03-30-2017, 11:33 AM
Free Member

PM sent "the glass is half full"
03-30-2017, 11:57 AM
Site Staff | Video

Oh, I think it's more than half full.

I hate that I don't have the skills to fix Panasonics. JVC, yes. Panasonic, no. At best, I know what's wrong, and know how the issue is fixed (by others). This deck was working fine, great image, then poof ... it refuses to insert tape. Essentially the VCR gave me the finger.

PM replied.

04-14-2017, 01:01 PM
Premium Member

The cockroach machine. Got all the way through fixing this machine. To find one of the loading gears has stripped teeth. It is under the base on the far side on the loading bay on the floor of the bay. It sometimes loads and other times the tape gets stuck. In a dilemma, cause the only way for me to get that gear is to buy another unit. If I buy another unit do I want to sacrifice a non cockroach for the cockroach unit. Really don't feel comfortable with that machine cause it had bug problems. Spent a lot of hours working and cleaning the unit to see if it was possible to get working again.
04-14-2017, 01:09 PM
Site Staff | Video

Keep the bug deck for parts for the next unit. I'll PM you this weekend.

Closed Thread