Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Blank Media

LinkBack Thread Tools
04-18-2017, 04:31 PM
Free Member

We just moved into a new house. I literally have to open the windows in the daytime because the interior of the house still smells like paint, especially the linen closets.

I am using one of the linen closets to store CD's and movies. All of my media are in those old Case Logic cases that hold the discs while they are still in the jewel cases.

My question is: can the lingering fumes from the interior house paints degrade or harm my CD collection?

The house was finished in September of 2016, so the paint has had eight months to cure.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

04-18-2017, 06:24 PM
Free Member

Latex (water based) or oil?

Oil paint with organic solvents (that can effect plastic) are potentially not good, water based would likely be less an issue. Without knowing the details of the fumes it is not possible to say anything for sure.

Probably a good idea to keep the door open so it can air out and allow air changes in the closet (and windows for the house). Eight months with the doors and windows closed tight means little opportunity to air out due to limited air change.

Lack of air changes means the solvents and other fume-generating chemicals were not able to fully release from the house and just concentrated in the stale air and be adsorbed by the building finishes and materials (e.g., carpets). Fresh air will allow them to out-gas and over time they should become minimal.
04-18-2017, 09:50 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
You have to understand what fumes are, and why you smell them.

The smell is from VOC: volatile organic compounds. The lower the VOC, the less it will smell. Cheap paint has a high VOC, and expensive approaches 0. It's "volatile" because it evaporates quickly into the air, hence the smell. "Organic" because it contains carbon. And "compound" because it lots of stuff making it. Different paint colors and consistencies demand different things.

VOCs can react with people and things. So, depending on every aspect of the paint (brand, shade, etc), it could, in theory, act as a solvent on the bonding agents of the disc. Or adhere to the clear polycarbonate, causing it to cloud over, thus being difficult or impossible to read (maybe ever again).

Inhaling a VOC is not good for your health.

Who paint the house? It sounds like dirt-cheap crappy paint was used. Honestly, I'd paint back over it with low VOC paints. It will seal in the stink. But you also run the risk of the old layer not curing, if it's so new that it still stinks.

https://toxtown.nlm.nih.gov/text_ver...cals.php?id=31

That situation stinks!

FYI, I didn't buy a house back in 2007 for this very reason. Not only did it stink, but it was sticky.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
04-19-2017, 08:08 AM
Free Member

Drogo: One thing we do not know is where you are located. Different jurisdictions have differing requirements as to what kinds of paints can/cannot be used. In a new home the builder would likely use legal paints if subject to permitting and inspection requirements. In some places this is rather strict; e.g., California, and in others not so strict. If the painting was by a homeowner, or in a lax jurisdiction, it is anyone's guess what they used. They may have used a paint that is inappropriate for interior use. (However, you might find some recent partially used paint cans around that could give a clue if the colors match.)

Good luck with you new home.
04-24-2017, 09:33 AM
Free Member

So, I finally had time to read the label for the paint this weekend. It's Dunn Edwards low VOC water-based paint.
The following users thank Drogo for this useful post: lordsmurf (12-04-2017)