Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Restore, Filter, Improve Quality

LinkBack Thread Tools
04-24-2017, 02:33 AM
Free Member

hello, as the title said i need your help.
I just found a unit in a fair Price but i dont know anything about this VCR. was this model top of the range?
I dont know if is a unit that is good to buy or there are other more recomendables that this model, another jvc models or maybe another panasonic.
I know is a recomended in VCR buying guide.
Can someone tell me what means cure tearing in this unit?

-- merged --

hello, I just found a unit in a fair Price but i dont know anything about this VCR. was this model top of the range?, is easy to find spare parts today? or maybe is better in this aspect the Panasonic models?
I dont know if is a unit that is good to buy or there are other more recomendables that this model, another jvc models or maybe another panasonic.
I know is a recomended in VCR buying guide.
Can someone tell me what means cure tearing in this unit?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

04-24-2017, 03:33 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
No, there's essentially zero spare parts for any VCR now. Decks are repaired mostly by robbing another. Only some basic parts are still available, like pinch rollers, but not mainboards. It depends on what's needed.

I wouldn't say it was top of the range, but rather the only model in the D-VHS line at the time. Later models improved on it.

Tearing is when the image waves back and forth. While this can fix tearing (as can many JVCs with TBC), the DMR-ES10 DVD recorder used for passthrough is better.

What are you looking to do?

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
04-24-2017, 05:44 AM
Free Member

Hello, first of all many thanks for help me.
I want to buy a very good s-vhs unit to see my old tapes, and hopefully when i have a Little time try to pass into digital, but in this moment the main intention is try to enjoy to seen this old rally tapes in my lg oled.
I am considering to buy one VCR of your buying guide. first of all i am looking the most respetables and recomrended models that are in black in your list.
So i dont know if buy this unit or look another one.
I think you are probably the best people to recomend me a VCR to buy.
i dont want a unit to use and throw,I would like it to last for a while since I have always liked these s-vhs vcr and I have never been able to have a good one.
Hope you can help me. i am in your hands
Many thanks
04-24-2017, 08:59 AM
Free Member

Quote:
I wouldn't say it was top of the range, but rather the only model in the D-VHS line at the time. Later models improved on it.
It's the only PAL D-VHS model, actually. The correct model number is JVC HM-DR10000EU.

Quote:
While this can fix tearing (as can many JVCs with TBC), the DMR-ES10 DVD recorder used for passthrough is better.
Agreed 1,000,000%. To clarify for other readers, only the JVC D-VHS models can correct tearing in passthrough; S-VHS models cannot.

joecv2000t: Bad tearing, with chroma errors at the top of the screen, can be seen in the direct-to-XCard videos attached in my TBC testing thread (I use the term flagging there). These tests are what I base my agreement upon; also I think NJRoadfan mentioned that his D-VHS unit can't always correct tearing, and I have at least one tape where the HM-DH5U causes tearing with its always-on TBC. NOTE: tearing doesn't always have associated chroma errors. This is a particularly horrible example.

HM-DH5U passthrough flagging from earlier in the tape. The playback machine is Mitsubishi HS-HD2000U with DNR&TBC "off".
Amy Jo Johnson lolli (HS-HD2000U =YC= HM-DH5U =HDMI= C027).jpg

Artifact Atlas on skew error aka flagging: https://bavc.github.io/avaa/artifacts/skew_error.html

LS: Merge this DR10k thread with his VHS-on-OLED thread...? It's actually following on the same topic, as this model was suggested there. This is just a new thread to gain more visibility with regard to this particular model.

Last edited by msgohan; 04-24-2017 at 09:14 AM.
04-24-2017, 10:37 AM
Free Member

Hello, i post this treath because i need more information about this model and i was thinking that in this particular place in the fórum maybe more people can help me.
Quasipal help me a lot of in the other post but he only have panasonics so i had tried to find owners of this model.

After consider all the information at least in pal model it seens to be one of the best pal s-vhs to buy, is that correct?

Last edited by joecv2000t; 04-24-2017 at 10:41 AM. Reason: complete the forum
04-24-2017, 02:19 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecv2000t View Post
After consider all the information at least in pal model it seens to be one of the best pal s-vhs to buy, is that correct?
For JVC yes:

http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/mark...fs-jvc-hm.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by juhok
I've had almost every model of JVC PAL 9000 -series and HM-DR10000 is better picture quality wise in my opinion. That's why this is my last JVC deck to go. Selling because I'm downsizing the VCR rack.
If you prefer the Panasonic "look", then I suppose it wouldn't be "best" for you.
04-25-2017, 02:29 AM
Free Member

is curious, while more i know about this "world" more doubts.
after many pages i read i think its clearly that jvc had better filters, and Panasonic have a very good quality too. i think the cure tearing is a good quality os this concrete unit of jvc.
So understand that any decisión between one or another will be great choice
04-25-2017, 03:31 AM
Free Member

Just to add that I have never had a video tape with the shown tearing effect - only occasionally time base errors. Its not common - and should not be on any tape in half decent condition.
04-25-2017, 03:34 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgohan View Post
only the JVC D-VHS models can correct tearing in passthrough
I completely forgot about this.

And Mitsubishi, too?
Do all models correct?

I never tested my 40000, but still have the Mitsu to run test. I'd rather just test the Mitsu if all are the same, but can test both it and the JVC HM-DH40000U. I may do that anyway.

I just figures that I already had the Panasonic DMR-ES10, so why bother? I need to run a TBC test on it.

The ES10/15/20/25, of course, are NOT the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasipal View Post
Just to add that I have never had a video tape with the shown tearing effect - only occasionally time base errors. Its not common - and should not be on any tape in half decent condition.
Lucky!!!

But you're right. The main culprit is SLP/EP (even LP) mode, and when nth generation copies-of-copies. But even SP 1st-gen tapes can have it, and it highly depends on the quality (or lack thereof) of the original recording deck.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
04-25-2017, 04:59 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
And Mitsubishi, too?
Do all models correct?
Nope. When I said only JVC D-VHS I meant it. My Japanese Panasonic D-VHS (NV-DHE10) likewise does nothing to the signal on passthrough.

Technically, only a subset of JVC D-VHS models will do it, since there are those oddball satellite models that don't have TBC or even S-VHS support in the first place.

Quote:
The ES10/15/20/25, of course, are NOT the same.
Would love to see some examples of ES10 vs others since it is always claimed that it is superior but I have never seen a head-to-head.

All four recorders in the ES1*/ES2* series use the same video processor, so it's likely they all perform similarly. (And this is referring to the chip that does analog-to-digital conversion and processing, not just D-D uncompressed to MPEG-2.)

Of course, we don't know how the programming may vary. It's just difficult to imagine that they would use the same hardware and then downgrade the performance of the software.

Sanlyn has indicated that he did tests of ES15 vs ES20 and found the ES15 to TBC better. He also says that the front panel inputs won't TBC. With my two ES15s, the front panel inputs did TBC. Some sort of strange sample variation, a firmware revision, or what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
I need to run a TBC test on it.
Can we coordinate on TBC testing, or are you already too far through the process to run different tapes now? I can make a tape with a series of recordings, both real and test patterns, capture it through my various hardware, and then mail it off to you.

Last edited by msgohan; 04-25-2017 at 05:12 AM.
04-25-2017, 12:06 PM
Free Member

i like to see that this post has the interest of the experts in fórum.
A very basic question, in this moment i am considering to buy the jvc, i like this VCR.
What PAL Panasonic could be the equivalent of this JVC? and is the Panasonic best or worst, i have no preferences between JVC and PANASONIC because i consider both are the best of the best in vhs system.
The only think that i dont want is to make a big mistake. I want to spend the money only once, and I do not want to regret my decision.
thanks to all
04-26-2017, 05:07 AM
Free Member

Honestly it is down to personal preference in what sort of image you like as VHS players impart their own characteristic. If you read here regularly you will see a slight pattern - basically:

JVC softer image, less tape noise on screen on old tapes, slightly less detailed image, some decks not very good LP playback.
Panasonic crisper image, more noise on old recordings, some models better tape transport, slightly better linear audio.

But this is not set in stone and 1980's JVC models had solid cast chassis and crisper image than later JVC along with better sound. If you have any tapes with linear audio only you should put this as an important point as late JVC and Panasonic had bad EQ on the linear sound with treble and bass but weak mid-range so voices sound sibilant and faint. All commercial cassettes made up to 1984 had linear sound only - and many small productions well after. My Panasonic AG industrial machines have the best linear audio sound, closely followed by better 1980's decks.

I personally think you need to at least see and hear a few machines to decide which is best for you and how they play with your tapes on your TV - so many variables! That is why TV/Video showrooms were so popular back then.

I am VERY picky and as such I have not found one VCR that meets all my requirements in a domestic environment. They always seem to get one thing wrong or struggle with one tape whereas another deck will do other things better (like the linear audio). Remember most pre-recorded tapes tapes have stereo linear Dolby encoded sound, yet many decks can't decode this - and so if you have some music concert tapes from 1982-4 you will not get them played in stereo on most decks. Sound is often overlooked, and even how the machine defaults to linear during HiFi tracking loss is important - does it momentarily mute or keep playing with minimal disturbance?