Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Blank Media

LinkBack Thread Tools
05-20-2017, 06:03 AM
Free Member

Hi all

Firstly thanks to anyone who takes the time to read this and may be of help. I am basically pulling my hair out. I had a computer with some important photos on when it got stuck in a boot loop after trying out Windows 10 and trying to revert back to Windows 7. So I thought no problem as the photos were on a dvd disc. No such luck as the disc just like the hard drive is a pain in the neck. It takes forever for the disc to load (the green bar moving at the top of the screen) and it isn't recognised in all other computers and says no disc present. In my own computer once loading is complete which can be an hour it shows the list of photos with their respective image numbers next to the icon, but it won't open if I click on them even trying one photo at at a time (I have 41 to open) it won't open. I have been told that it is a ghost list and that the disc is corrupt and files (photos) are no longer there. I am unsure as to the reliability of that information and thought someone on this forum may have an idea before I pay out money for nothing trying to buy a recover program or to get someone to do it?

Again thanks for your time
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

05-22-2017, 12:50 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,447 Times in 2,079 Posts
The discs is a marginal burn. What is the brand and media ID of the disc?

ISO Puzzle may recover in your drive, but then you're tasked with extracting the ISO.

You can always send it to me. PM me. (That's not an offer I extend very often.)

You'll
- put the disc in a disc envelope,
- cut cardboard to size around the envelope,
- rubber band or tape it tight,
- then put that rigid item inside of a mailing box,
- send it priority

Basically make sure it arrives undamaged. And I won't charge much at all.

You're going to be limited by the both reader hardware and software. I have recovery setups for this. If you're unaware, I do optical media research, and have for decades now. I find challenging discs to be enjoyable. If nothing else, you'll know precisely what went wrong, if the contents are unrecoverable. And that's not common, especially on non-RAM/RW media. The R (write-once) discs tends to disallow ghost writing.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
05-24-2017, 06:07 AM
Free Member

Hi Thanks for your reply and kind offer.

I have looked at the disc and I actually have two but the one I want to recover the photos from is in fact a
CD-R80 by TDK and not a DVD-R like the other one.

If you are able to have a go at this where do I send the disc to and how much do you charge?
I feel a bit uncertain about trusting couriers or the post office with the disc because even if it were insured for loss and went missing, financial compensation is of no use in this instance. However I do realise that I have to make some effort to get the photos back.

Thanks again for your time it is most appreciated.