Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Hardware Repair

LinkBack Thread Tools
08-02-2017, 11:29 PM
Free Member

Hi, how are you?

I have two S-VHS cameras I want to clean, an AG-455 and a M8000 from Panasonic. Both are playing back with some noise, even though last time I tried them, like two years ago, they played back very well.

I bought a wet cleaning cassette, a “TDK WET VideoCLEAR”, but in the box it says that it is not recommended for cameras, only for VCRs. Then I read on the Internet that people don’t usually recommend those cleaning cassettes either.

Most people advise cleaning the head with a soft tissue like chamois (some people even use regular white paper) and isopropyl alcohol. There are swabs made of chamois but I can’t get them where I live, so probably I will buy a chamois cloth for cleaning cars.

My questions are:

1- If I want to clean the head manually with a chamois cloth and isopropyl alcohol, would you take the tape door apart? The head is difficult to reach because of the door, and other parts to be cleaned could also be out of sight/reach because of the door. Is it difficult to take the door apart and then put it again right into place?

2- Apart from the head, what other parts should I clean?

3- I show you a clip captured from the AG-455 : https://youtu.be/3Ad8izuyq-4 Do you think the noise is caused by a dirty head?

I really appreciate your feedback as it is not easy to find information about this particular matter.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

08-26-2017, 10:06 PM
Free Member

Well, I managed to clean the big round head, with a chamois cloth and isopropyl alcohol.

The image now looks quite good, but the sound gets some kind of quick slides. It sounds like DJ scratchings.

Here is the new version of the same piece of video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SCr...ature=youtu.be

How could the cleaning improve the image but worsen the sound?

Is the sound read by the big round head or by a separate head?

Tags
s-vhs camera cleaning