10-11-2017, 08:04 AM
Premium Member

Kind of relates to my thread about QTGMC making some black marks worse, but what's the best way to go about tackling a restoration? A lot of this forum is examples and solving specific problems, but I'm thinking more broadly than that: how do you go about analysing a tape to see what steps are required, or what flaws are present? What's the best order in which to tackle things? What do you look at to identify errors?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

10-11-2017, 10:44 AM
Free Member

http://www.engon.de/audio/vhs4_en.htm
10-23-2017, 02:00 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by themaster1 View Post
That's a pretty crappy outdated guide. Some of the guides here have gotten stale, not updated since 2011 (due to my health), but it's not anywhere close to that.

(Note: I'm currently working to fix those, add many more, and add new site features.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by koberulz View Post
Kind of relates to my thread about QTGMC making some black marks worse, but what's the best way to go about tackling a restoration? A lot of this forum is examples and solving specific problems, but I'm thinking more broadly than that: how do you go about analysing a tape to see what steps are required, or what flaws are present? What's the best order in which to tackle things? What do you look at to identify errors?
It takes experience and knowledge.

When I get a tape, the first order of business is to see how well the audio and video play/capture. Any problems seen, that can't be fixed in hardware (including doing something as extreme as realigning hardware for a tape), must be fixed in software. Those are usually VERY specific to a problem, not really generalized.

My/our hardware is more advanced than others. Altogether, I have probably (at least) 50 devices available that I can use: lots of VCRs, proc amps, DVD reocrders, detailers, special capture cards, etc. Each was acquired for a specific reason. My personal stack alone has about a dozen toys in it. Hardware plays a big part in capture and restoration. (Note that this doesn't even count the excess hardware I have for sale in the Marketplace.)

Now, there's only so many kinds of odd errors you can come across. After years, you gather a library of Avisynth scripts, VirtualDub setting, Sound Forge custom filters, and knowledge for using things like Mercalli, Premiere, etc. There's a lot of tools, and preference can sometimes decide what you use (for example: my preference in Premiere for color work, though I may adopt DaVinci more).

Once capture is done, with VHS as source, it's typical errors:
- audio hiss/hum/buzz/fuzz/etc
- chroma alignment, noise -- my pet peeve of noises
- grain/dirt/etc
- color
- overscan; tracking masking if overlay bad

You also have a lot of inherent camera issues:
- ghosting
- IRE, gamma, color

Sometimes there are trade-offs with hardware choices:
- posterization
- jitter

And embedded nth gen issues:
- embedded tracking noise
- timing/timebase issues

The order of things fully depends on the combination of present errors, which is why the forum is very instance-based. You won't be able to avoid it.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs