Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Blank Media

LinkBack Thread Tools
11-18-2017, 08:34 PM
Free Member

I'm in a spot of bother.

I have burned many dvds over the years. Once I found Taiyo Yuden j-dpr-zz-sb8s I went back and replaced the mongrels. I buy a supply yearly. Was getting time to buy & I find out they're not making the type I use anymore. I checked here and was recommended Verbatim AZO DVD+R 4.7GB 16X. I bought 200.

My first mistake was not saving 25 or so TY to use as reference.

Now I'm slowly putting my head up my own xxx. I don't know what I'm doing. I have two computers, both identical except for the optical drives. I replaced Bs with a Blu-ray device. A has an hp CDDVDW SH-216ALN. B has a Liteon ATAPI iHBS312.
I only use B to burn. I use DVDFab. I've had NO burn problems for years! Everything read just fine on my dvd player. Until now. And I forget the tech stuff from 10 years ago!

Switched to Verbatim. Now I'm getting different problems when watching the dvds. Stalls, freezes, odd stuff. To try & debug I've installed Diskspeed 5.4.24 on A & Nero on B.
I have lots of burns & graphs. I even have a burn that freezes DiskSpeed!
I really don't know what I'm doing anymore as I can't intelligently analyse the results.

My problem, I think, is proving these blanks do not work for me.
Can you please help me determine h/w or media.
Tell me what to do & what to post.
thanks in advance
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

11-18-2017, 09:24 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,307 Times in 982 Posts
I thought DVD-R was more universally compatible over DVD+R. Why are you using +R, which can cause problems with certain players? I'm under the impression that "-R" AZO is the universal standard for single layer, while Verbatim's "+R" AZO has usually been suggested for double-layer DVD.
11-18-2017, 09:50 PM
Free Member

When I previously asked about blanks it was said " older devices won't handle DVD+R. DVD-R is universally compatible and always was. Your choice." Id been using +s because of the error correction touted. Till this day.

I thought to continue with DVD+R because of previous success.

Now there is " Verb's "+R" AZO has usually been suggested for double-layer DVD"
I thought this was a + question only.

At this point happy to replace Bs drive & continue with Verbatim.
What drive should I buy?

thanks in advance
11-18-2017, 10:44 PM
Premium Member

I can't say for certain that +R caused the problems. However, you didn't use +R with Taiyo Yuden because they didn't make +R DVD discs that I know of.
11-19-2017, 06:41 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post
However, you didn't use +R with Taiyo Yuden because they didn't make +R DVD discs that I know of.
YUDENT002 DVD+R was one of the top 3 discs ever made.

Quote:
I thought DVD-R was more universally compatible over DVD+R. Why are you using +R, which can cause problems with certain players? I'm under the impression that "-R" AZO is the universal standard for single layer, while Verbatim's "+R" AZO has usually been suggested for double-layer DVD.
This was true in 2003, when DVD+R/W came out. Even by 2008, it was still somewhat true, due to the old pre-2005(ish) players that still existed in use. But it's now 2017. Any old player* (pre-2005 or not) that hates DVD+R probably hates DVD-R as well, along with the RW formats, and is ready for the recycling bin. In such condition, at most, such an aged player is good for pressed retail discs, but even that day that is refuses presses is coming.

* Note that I said player -- not recorder. Players used really cheap/weak parts, and the internals of the unit didn't even look like a DVD-ROM drive. This is entirely different from a DVD recorder, which often used better/stronger parts, and often was using a stock DVD burner or modified burner on the internals. Many DVD recorders are still going strong, if well cared for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WidowMaker View Post
Your choice." Id been using +s because of the error correction touted. Till this day. I thought to continue with DVD+R because of previous success. Now there is " Verb's "+R" AZO has usually been suggested for double-layer DVD" I thought this was a + question only.
If you had no stubborn drives, and you were not distributing discs to others, then it was indeed a preference issue. And I also chose to use Verbatim DVD+R and Taiyo Yuden DVD+R for myself -- although it had nothing to do with the so-called "better error correction", which really never materialized.

Quote:
At this point happy to replace Bs drive & continue with Verbatim.
What drive should I buy?
Quote:
Originally Posted by WidowMaker View Post
I'm in a spot of bother.
I have burned many dvds over the years. Once I found Taiyo Yuden j-dpr-zz-sb8s I went back and replaced the mongrels.
Too much M&A as recession fallout. TY sold to JVC sold to CMC. It's like heaven selling all the churches to the devil, and the attendees being none the wiser. Optimists will say "but it's still the same thing!", while realists and pessimists are dubious as hell (analogy pun intended!).

CMC-owned TY is probably the best discs still available, but only as a ghost of its former self. CMC cuts corners, period, the end, everybody knows it.

Quote:
I checked here and was recommended Verbatim AZO DVD+R 4.7GB 16X. I bought 200.
Excellent discs.

Quote:
My first mistake was not saving 25 or so TY to use as reference.
Yes. For testing purposes, I still have PVC blanks!

Quote:
Now I'm slowly putting my head up my own xxx.
That sounds like a dark and smelly proposition.

Quote:
I have two computers, both identical except for the optical drives. I replaced Bs with a Blu-ray device.
A has an hp CDDVDW SH-216ALN.
B has a Liteon ATAPI iHBS312. I only use B to burn.
That HP is very likely terrible. HP never manufactured drive, but instead rebadged the cheapest drives that could be located at the time. Worse yet, they'd use their own proprietary firmware that'd never get upgrades.

LiteOn is a very hit-or-miss manufacturer by model, so it's never been my favorite. And probably the most common disc to react to the model, either good or bad, is a Verbatim. I have the HSB112, but solely for BD-R scanning, though I also use it for DVD reading/ripping when needed. The construction of recent LiteOns is also subpar mechanically, which is another reason I don't overuse it for non-testing (and testing is the reason I bought it).

Buy this for under $20: https://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronic...4d8baa6bc90fb3

Newegg has it too, but Amazon is several dollars cheaper.
LG DVD burners are quite decent at burning, and surprisingly good at reading/ripping.

Can you add a drive, instead of replace it? I'd hate for you to lose BD-R ability from the LiteOn. But I have a feeling the LiteOn is attuned to BD-R, and DVD compatibility may be an afterthought similar to how CD is/was on DVD burners.

Quote:
I've had NO burn problems for years! Everything read just fine on my dvd player. Until now. And I forget the tech stuff from 10 years ago!
What is the player?
Does it also play DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+RW, and pressed retail DVDs?

Switched to Verbatim. Now I'm getting different problems when watching the dvds. Stalls, freezes, odd stuff. To try & debug I've installed Diskspeed 5.4.24 on A & Nero on B.
Quote:
I have lots of burns & graphs.
Show some. Attach images to a post.

Quote:
I even have a burn that freezes DiskSpeed!
That's usually a disc issue. Not necessarily that the disc is bad, as it can also mean the burner is writing mush on the dye. I see this with DVD-RW and specific DVD recorders. The same disc re-formatted in another recorder works perfectly. Lots of troubleshooting and investigation must be done to assign blame.

Quote:
I really don't know what I'm doing anymore as I can't intelligently analyse the results.
That's why you came here.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
11-19-2017, 08:11 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
Quote:
you didn't use +R with Taiyo Yuden because they didn't make +R DVD discs that I know of.
YUDENT002 DVD+R was one of the top 3 discs ever made.
You're probably correct. Some time ago I looked for Taiyo Yudin on several sites and obtaimned some, but I never saw their +R discs listed.

A relative had a pricey 2010 SONY DVD player, likely the last DVD-only product they made AFAIK. It wouldn't play DVD+R, although my 2004 Toshibas and 2010 Denon had no problem. They say DVD+R is OK on 90% of players. It's the 10% that's the problem.

You're also correct about certain burners, especially HP. Retail OEM's used to furnish a list of discs which had been tested for reliability with a specific burner. I haven't noticed such a list in a few years now. Meanwhile to date I've had no problems with several LG DVD and BluRay burners. They've also handled some ancient off-brand discs that I stupidly used many years back. Thank goodness they played OK, as I used the LG machines to make new copies on better discs. The only disc I had a problem with was an old FUJI disc whose layers were blistering apart (no surprise). I sandwiched that disc between two hardcover books and sat on it in a chair for about 2 hours, and thank goodness it played long enough in the LG to copy the video to my PC for re-burning.

After burning thousands of Verbatim discs with my DVD recorders and two PC's, I never had a problem with Verbatim AZO. That includes their AZO DVD+R DL, where I've burned about 200 of them over the last few years. I recently went through a container of 40 Verbatim discs burned in 2007 with no problems. Still, according to the laws of physics, anything could happen.
11-19-2017, 12:57 PM
Free Member

I've ordered the LG GH24NSC0B. I can't add internal burners so I'll put it in B, move the Liteon to A & scrap the HP drive.

My players are: Sony Blu-ray DVD player BDP-S6200 and pre Cinavia LG LDA-531 (Canada) or LGDVB 418 (US). I use the Sony nearly all the time. It plays DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD-R, DVD+RW, and pressed retail DVDs.

Test from B using the LiteOn. DVDFab settings were the same as used for the TYs.

test 3 -.jpg

Thanks for all the help. I'll update when new burner arrives.

11-28-2017, 04:53 PM
Free Member

The first dvd I burned with the new LG is bad.

test 1.1.jpg

You must be logged in to view this content; either login or register for the forum. The attached screen shots, before/after images, photos and graphics are created/posted for the benefit of site members. And you are invited to join our digital media community.

I've ordered & received 100 Verbatim azo DVD-Rs. I'm going to burn a DVD+ & a DVD- on each burner & check them on the opposite burner. I'll run disk quality & scandisk on each.

Any other suggestions lordsmurf?
tia

12-04-2017, 06:45 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
That's an ugly spike at the end of the disc.

Are you sure these are legit discs, and not fakes? You don't get fakes from brand names or legitimate suppliers. So if you bought some there, then legit discs are bad. Not discs is 100% perfect, and some bad ones do exist. Not the silly "batch" nonsense (referring to single spindles, while batches are 10000-100000 discs), but just random discs.

Depending on the age and storage of these discs, other factors may have harmed them.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: WidowMaker (12-05-2017)
12-05-2017, 04:44 PM
Free Member

Yes, pretty certain these discs are genuine.
I'll plod along & try to figure out the problem(s).
thanks

-- merged --

Turns out this is a dvdfab software problem!
No wonder I've wasted so much time. two movies, with the same problem in the same week, & just started new media!! never seen before!

thanks for the help