Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Hardware Repair

LinkBack Thread Tools
11-29-2017, 10:21 PM
Free Member

I recently purchased a Panasonic Ag 1970, that after a few minutes of operation it begins to make a loud vibrating noise followed by popping audio. The noise appears to be coming from the video head itself. The only way I have found to get it to work without making this noise is by turning it upside down which is obviously highly inconvenient. Has anyone encountered a similar problem or have an idea of what the problem might be?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

11-30-2017, 06:33 AM
Free Member

It is possible that the head retaining ring has popped out of the ring in the shaft (due to transit shock) and has now got lodged at the top on the anti-friction spiral (top bearing). You need to take the three torx screws out of the top of the head bearing - but before you do this pack out the gap between the upper and lower drum with card - or it will smash down and break the head tips due to magnetism. Then lift the little cover off and check for an errant circlip. It may be that the head bearing shaft is galling, however I have never had any lock with cleaning and lubing these - once they bind, damage is done and the mirror finish is disturbed.
It could also be a failed guide or well worn pinch roller, but my money is on the head. Had a few of these with problems caused by it being upside down and then jolted in transit.
12-02-2017, 03:36 PM
Free Member

Thanks for the quick response. I have taken the cover off and I can see the clip but it does not appear to be loose though it may be out of place, I'm not sure. Should it be sitting even with the surface of the gold ring under the cover?
12-03-2017, 03:35 AM
Free Member

The simplest way to see if it is in place is to pull up the head drum enough to overcome the magnetic attraction and see if the head pulls right off. If it does then its out of place and needs refitting. If not, clean up the top of the head spindle and the top plate and add a tiny amount of synthetic lubricant such as PD diesel engine oil or similar.

Apart from that I'm sorry, but I would need to see the unit. Maybe take a video of the noise if my idea does not help.
12-03-2017, 09:28 AM
Free Member

Tried removing the top head drum but it wouldn't budge. Did take a video of it in operation though: https://youtu.be/jIj3qiYZKBM
12-03-2017, 03:38 PM
Free Member

Sorry, the drum bearings are completely ruined. Never heard one that bad, usually just a rumble or hum. Only way is to look for a second machine to take the head from, but it is only four screws from underneath and the whole head can be changed. You may be lucky in the USA to find a new old stock item but here in the UK only upper drums are available which is of no use. Sorry to bear bad news.
12-04-2017, 02:03 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasipal View Post
You need to take the three torx screws out
Added advice: ALWAYS remember to take a photo of a VCR before you start tinkering with it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasjo View Post
I recently purchased a Panasonic Ag 1970
I've not seen a working AG-1970 VCR in probably 10 or more years now. Buying anything from Panasonic off eBay is pretty much guaranteed to be broken these days. At best, major caps work. Ever JVC is starting to go in that direction now. TBCs, too.

Where to this come from?

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
12-04-2017, 06:02 AM
Free Member

Does AG 1970 + PAL FS100? I have an FS100 lower drum (with generic head) in perfect working order you are welcome to but let me know the part number for the lower drum for AG 1970 so I can confirm. If your head drum is in good shape then it would be best to swap them as generic head is never as good, or I can swap them over for you for just the cost of postage (you may then need to tweak the exit guide).
12-04-2017, 10:38 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasipal View Post
Does AG 1970 + PAL FS100? I have an FS100 lower drum (with generic head) in perfect working order you are welcome to but let me know the part number for the lower drum for AG 1970 so I can confirm. If your head drum is in good shape then it would be best to swap them as generic head is never as good, or I can swap them over for you for just the cost of postage (you may then need to tweak the exit guide).
Thanks for the offer! I'm currently trying to negotiate a return with the ebay seller, but if that falls through I'll let you know. Attached is a picture of the bottom of the lower drum.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171204_223034.jpg (85.5 KB, 9 downloads)
12-06-2017, 04:36 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasjo View Post
Thanks for the offer! I'm currently trying to negotiate a return with the ebay seller, but if that falls through I'll let you know. Attached is a picture of the bottom of the lower drum.
Ok, hope you get the refund. Though I will say that I expect all used VCR's to be faulty even if they show a 'clear picture'. In fact I prefer completely broken as I know that it will likely have seen less use than one taken out of a long service. The photo you showed of your AG1970 looked like a low use machine to me and that is a real plus these days. May have been taken out of service due to that head problem. Look at the pinch roller - barely used.

I had a NVF70 that arrived rattling and jammed - but it was like new inside and after fixing it, it became one of my most used transfer decks due to the bombproof HiFi tracking. Just needed the pinch roller replacing and a few new plastic parts.