01-12-2018, 01:41 AM
Free Member

Hi

I've been hoping to use an old Panasonic NV-HV60 to digitise some old VHS tapes I have. Unfortunately the playback is jumping around a lot. I've cleaned the heads which cleared the image but didn't help with the jumping around. I don't know the correct terms to use to be able to search for a solution so I was hoping someone on the forum could help. I've uploaded a snippet onto Youtube to show what happening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUyiCy45Hsk

If any one could tell me what the problem is or how to fix it that wold be much appreciated.

Cheers
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

01-12-2018, 10:20 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,307 Times in 982 Posts
You need an external frame-level TBC. You also have really bad line-timing distortion, so you need a line-level tbc as well. These devices are standard equipment for VHS capture, have been used around the world by millions of people since Day One. There's no other fix. I'm surprised you asked. You also need a better VCR.
01-12-2018, 01:04 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,447 Times in 2,079 Posts
The tape has bad timing. It needs internal line TBC for correcting that.

External framesync TBC will scrub any residual signal damage. Your capture device will choke otherwise. That tape signal is far too damaged for uncorrected capture.

The NV 60 is the model just below the better with-TBC decks. It's mostly good for recording TV in S-VHS, maybe as recorder for an editor (with TBCs in the chain), but that's it. It's not a good playback deck, never was.

Get one of these: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...ing-guide.html

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
01-13-2018, 04:14 AM
Free Member

Thank you for the info sanlyn and lordsmurf.

As you can see I'm very much a novice in the VHS capture world, though I'm finding some good info on this site. The TBC info and links have been very useful. Finding one of the suggested VCRs in Australia is going to be a challenge. I don't have a heap of VHS footage I want to transfer so was hoping to do it myself, which I have found is not so straight forward.

Curiously, when I hook up the VCR to my digital TV (Samsung C7000 Series) the playback is fine. So I'm guessing there is some TBC process in the TV or the adapter (picture attached). I unfortunately don't have any 'out' connections on the TV but if the adapter has the TBC then is there a chance I could rig something up with it? I don't even know what to call this adapter. Apologies if this has already been addressed else where in the forum and feel free to let me know if I should be starting a different thread (though my lack of terminology might make a confusing thread title).

Cheers

Attached Images
File Type: jpg SamsungTV_C7000_adapter_sml.jpg (174.8 KB, 12 downloads)
01-13-2018, 06:02 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,307 Times in 982 Posts
Your TV is a player, it's not a digital capture device and doesn't behave like one. TV's don't have a tbc. Your TV playback from its analog inputs doesn't depend on precise timing.

No, you can't record from a TV.

Capturing analog video has certain requirements, just as receiving HDTV cable has its requirements as well. If the requirements aren't met, you can't get the results. One way to get tbc functionality is to use a recommended tbc pass-thru device. Not all recorders can be used for pass-thru, and most of those non-recommended models that can be used aren't very effective. The recommended models have powerful line-level tbc's and fairly effective frame sync tbc's. Their frame-sync tbc's are incomplete in that they don't defeat copy protection and aren't as powerful as external frame-level units, but they perform nominally well. A pass-thru device isn't used for recording; it's like a filter that you connect between your VCR and your capture device. The recommended modelsd are the Panasonic DMR-ES10 or ES15. https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/...hat-do-you-use

You might also do yourself a favor and replace that 3rd-rate Magix copy device.
01-13-2018, 01:05 PM
Site Staff | Video

Analog video signals are chaotic. This chaos was a known entity when developing VHS and TV (and later HDTVs which still have analog components). There is signal forgiveness built in. As sanlyn said, it's just a playback device.

Digital isn't analog, and capture isn't playback. The signal needs to be pure. TBCs cleanse a signal of the impurities.

It's that easy.

I didn't see where you mentioned the exact capture device being used, but some of the cheaper ones (usually designed/made in China) can compound your problem.

That was a VHS transfer workflow is:
- S-VHS deck with internal TBC to clean image
- external TBC to clean signal
- quality capture card/box/stick/recorder

The marketing on the cheapo device, stating you can just plug any old VCR into it and transfer, was written by marketers that knew zilch about video. It just does not work that way. As you're seeing, it's not that easy.

01-18-2018, 07:26 PM
Free Member

Thanks again for the info sanlyn and lordsmurf. Sorry for the slow reply. I was in an internet-less zone for work.

Now I realise playing and capturing VHS are two very different things. I guess I was duped by the Easycap adapter. I assumed there’d be a difference in quality between a professional capture setup and the Easycap. Unfortunately, the Easycap quality is obviously not even usable. I will keep an eye out for the TBC VCRs but I don’t like my chances of getting one easily in Australia. One small silver lining is I can use the player I have now to at least identify the sections of the tapes I want to digitise and then get a professional to do it.

Thanks for your time in explaining everything to me. It is greatly appreciated.

Cheers
02-03-2018, 10:07 PM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanga10 View Post
I will keep an eye out for the TBC VCRs but I don’t like my chances of getting one easily in Australia.
VCRs and TBCs are separate things.
- The best VCRs have internal line/field TBCs.
- And then you also need external framesync TBCs for capturing.

And anybody in Australia needing TBC can contact me for help. I'll see what I can do. For the VCRs, just just need to find a good PAL model on the recommended VCR list. You may need to import from Europe, but Australia should have many decent decks floating around that huge island.