Go Back    Forum > Digital Publishing / Web Sites > Web Hosting

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
01-18-2018, 10:49 AM
Free Member

Dear Digitalfaq,

This is my first forum. Sorry if any mistake on my post.

I have configured drupal site about 5 years in shared hosting server. Now, I have a very weird problem which I have never seen. I spent last 3 days to figure it out but I could not.

Problem:

I have 4 sites: site1.com, site2.com, site3.com, & site4.com.

I have 4 folders in hosting shared server under public html folder: www.site1.com, www.site2.com, www.site3.com, www.site4.com

Each site is pointing to corresponding folder.

I installed drupal in all the folders. I used same email for all sites to install drupal. When I visit each site, I can see clean drupal site. Then I try to reset my admin password for each drupal site. To reset the password:
  • I visited each website.
  • Clicked reset new password.
  • Entered my email.
  • Send.
I get email for all sites except site1.com.

I called hosting provider and they told me "site1.com is pointing to the right folder. They tested server which sends email just fine. Now it is up to me to how to configure and fix. "

My question to you are what could go wrong? What type of settings should I be looking at? How to compare the settings of bad site with other sites which are working?

If you need any additional information please let me know.

Please advise.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

01-18-2018, 07:21 PM
Free Member

If you want to start with shared hosting, you can lease a dedicated server with cPanel control panel that will allow you to host multiple websites on same server.

cPanel/WHM control panel comes with everything web server, email server, ftp, DNS, Mysql and more..

You can created shared accounts and end customer can have access to cPanel to manage just their website.

Its good to start with a manage dedicated servers so you don’t have to do anything on your end!
02-03-2018, 10:17 PM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamer View Post
Dear Digitalfaq,
This is my first forum.
Welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamer View Post
Problem:
I have 4 sites: site1.com, site2.com, site3.com, & site4.com.
I have 4 folders in hosting shared server under public html folder: www.site1.com, www.site2.com, www.site3.com, www.site4.com
Each site is pointing to corresponding folder.
I installed drupal in all the folders.
I get email for all sites except site1.com.
My question to you are what could go wrong? What type of settings should I be looking at? How to compare the settings of bad site with other sites which are working?
If you need any additional information please let me know.
Please advise.
You mean like this?
- /public_html/site1.com
- /public_html/site2.com
- /public_html/site3.com
- /public_html/site4.com

If so, that's a problem. You're using "addon domains" with the lousy default settings. The main problem here is that one site can traverse into the others.

"Addon" domains in general are a horrible idea for CMS sites (like Drupal), as that cPanel hack was created during the days of HTML-only sites. In the CMS era, it's security risk. If one site gets hacked, all sites get hacked.

But even if insisting on using addon domains, you need to customize the setup on it.
For example, do NOT use public_html
-/mysites/site1.com
-/mysites/site2.com
-/mysites/site3.com
-/mysites/site4.com

You create the folder "mysites" at the same level as public_html. Don't put anything in public_html, unless it's the main/primary domain.

This will require that you manually re-make the addon domains, and manually migrate those sites within the account to the new folder location. This isn't fun, but there's really nothing else you can do. Drupal wants to own an entire domain, and public_html belong the primary domain. Anything in public_html will conflict with other CMS installs.

Quote:
I called hosting provider and they told me "site1.com is pointing to the right folder. They tested server which sends email just fine. Now it is up to me to how to configure and fix. "
It seems that your hosting provider is clueless about this issue. Who is the current host?

What you should really be doing is using "reseller" hosting -- and that's just true multi-domain hosting. The act of reselling is not needed. What you're after is isolated cPanel accountts per domain.

Just be sure to get a quality host: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/web-...web-hosts.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuroraUsa View Post
If you want to start with shared hosting, you can lease a dedicated server with cPanel control panel that will allow you to host multiple websites on same server.
He doesn't need dedicated. He just needs reseller.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
Closed Thread