Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Hardware Repair

LinkBack Thread Tools
03-11-2018, 01:46 PM
Free Member

Currently I have a Mitsubishi HS-HD2000U SVHS/DVHS VCR along with a pair of Sony Video Walkmen; a GV-D800 for Hi8/8mm tapes and a GV-D1000 for Mini-DV tapes. The Mitsubishi was purchased new as a floor sample in 2007; I've put less than 200 hours on it over the years since then. The Sonys were recent eBay purchases; both work well enough but their histories are unknown. I've also purchased and am awaiting receipt of a couple of high-end VCRs and TBCs through the marketplace on this forum.

None of this equipment has ever been in the shop. Fortunately, there is a place in my home town which appears to be capable of performing proper maintenance on video equipment [Bammel TV]. I'd like to know from the more experienced members what you do recommend as far as preventive maintenance and adjustments on equipment of this sort. I have picked up from other posts that "commercial cleaning tapes are bad," but what alternative procedure do you suggest?

Also, what can I do myself as opposed to outsourcing to a shop or other professional? I'm new to working with video equipment but I've worked in facility maintenance for over 25 years; I know how to use a multimeter and I have or can get a full collection of the proper tools. At the same time, I'm sure that there are some problems which are best sent to a pro. Just asking for a few pointers to do it right.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

03-11-2018, 02:31 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
A big part of maintenance is simply cleaning.
And a big part of cleaning is not being stupid/stubborn and/or ignorant assumption.

Don't trust anybody with cleaning. Most people do it wrong, using everything from Q-tips to cheap fibrous paper. Lints and fiber massively damage heads, often entirely ruining the VCR. And FYI, that's why eBay has so many bad decks now. Too many clueless newbies followed horrible advice on Youtube/blogs/forums from equally clueless people.

For example, Bammel. Verify how they clean. Specifics, not generics.

There are forum-posted guides on cleaning here, but the shortcut is this:
(1) chamois or foam swabs
(2) BE GENTLE!

A big question is often "when" should you clean. The answer is just before it's needed. Yes, that does seem facetious, but it's really not. The catch is this: You don't want to cause wear from overcleaning. Yet you want it to be cleaned before it has problems. VCRs are like cats, and hide their problems. And by the time you find out about it, see problems, it's too late. Hence the need to continually inspect and test your gear -- at least if you want it to last.

You want to gather a group of test tapes, only used for testing (so the testing isn't invalid due to tape wear), and then closely see if it has changes. Look at the timing (tell-tale transport error), the tracking (alignment), and presence of any video/audio imperfections (head wear). Also open the unit, visually inspect it. Consider even using a magnifying glass to view the heads. And listen; a good tube of silicon grease may come in handy for noisy transport parts.

Aside from cleaning, you live on Earth, and we have the pesky problem called gravity. Over time, it causes alignments to shift, meaning bad tracking. Head wear also eventually causes tracking issues. Realignment is best done with oscilloscopes by a trained professional repairman, but most JVC S-VHS decks are eyeball-able and adjustable with a small flat head screwdriver (while watching the tape play).

Panasonic decks are essentially completely unserviceable to users, and repairs/maintenance can be expensive. Hence another reason that your first line VCR should be JVC, and Panasonic only used when JVCs fail to play the source tapes adequately.

D-VHS decks, especially that Mitsubishi model, have about B-/B+ tracking quality, sometimes even C grade..
See also: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/news...g-grading.html

Did I miss anything?

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: BarryTheCrab (03-11-2018), dinkleberg (03-12-2018), msgohan (01-15-2020)

Tags
adjustment, calibration, maintenance