Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Blank Media

LinkBack Thread Tools
05-27-2018, 07:30 PM
Free Member

Hello,

I am new to the DVD burning world and had a few questions.

Does it matter where the Verbatims are made? I keep reading the UAE ones are terrible, and from what i understand that is all that ships now from Amazon. The singapore are no longer made. Is that true? I know the verbatims were great for a long time.

Also i have no choice but to use an external burner. I am trying to backup an extremly expensive DVD set i have in case these disks ever wear out. I am using the LG GE24NU40 and so far it has ripped everything perfectly, just curious how it well it will do burning, and if there is a gold standard external drive i should be using.

Thanks in advance!

http://www.lg.com/us/burners-drives/...rnal-dvd-drive
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

05-28-2018, 08:56 AM
Free Member

Quote:
...I am trying to backup an extremly expensive DVD set i have in case these disks ever wear out...
Not sure what is the best blank recordable DVD (-R, +R, DL, etc.) media or burner today. However, just a thought. Make one or more copies for day-to-day use. Store the originals in a safe, reasonably environmentally controlled location and only take them out to make new day-to-day use copies when needed.
The following users thank dpalomaki for this useful post: lordsmurf (09-15-2018)
05-28-2018, 01:06 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpalomaki View Post
Not sure what is the best blank recordable DVD (-R, +R, DL, etc.) media or burner today. However, just a thought. Make one or more copies for day-to-day use. Store the originals in a safe, reasonably environmentally controlled location and only take them out to make new day-to-day use copies when needed.
Thanks! I have it on an external HDD and i may do another HDD just in case. And then also the DVD's which will be stored away for safe keeping. I would do HDD only but i always worry about data loss and HDD failure which happens much more these thanks to crappy products.

The Verbatims have me so confused because of where they are made. I keep seeing terrible reviews of the newer disks, even the Azo series.
09-15-2018, 06:51 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
The best DVD media is still Verbatim AZO.

And only from Amazon:
- https://www.amazon.com/Verbatim-DVD-...bed19e9eb13294
- https://www.amazon.com/Verbatim-4-7G...9823221d463517

Terrible reviews happen for everything. There's a lot of bad reviews online, be it based on false information, or just straight up fake nonsense. Drives going bad is a real problem, always has been, but the discs take the brunt of the bad reviews. However the drive is at fault, and a newer/better drive is needed. Stuff like "bad batch" is also heresay nonsense, as a batch is 10,000+ discs, not a spindle. This has always been the case.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
09-30-2018, 05:59 AM
Free Member

There are also discs that are printable, you need a special printer for that, writing with a felt pen on it will blur out, due time, and might penetrate to the dye, i have some discs from some years ago, that where destroyed by this effect, but present discs could be of better quality by now.
Some old discs also have no extra coating or plastic layer, (label side) the foil will crumble over the years, the ones with extra protection (label side) are good protected against external damage, storage should always be dark.
From Emtec i still have some good discs from years ago.
most tests only refer to the dye, which sometimes comes from one manufactor, you also need a good optical drive, which you update with latest firmware, to keep up with new types of dye, rewriteable discs are less compatible with burners, or will not be read by players sometimes, you should read the specs of the player for that, optical RAM discs is same story, plus, not many burners can write them

Last edited by Eric-Jan; 09-30-2018 at 06:20 AM.
09-30-2018, 04:07 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric-Jan View Post
There are also discs that are printable, you need a special printer for that, writing with a felt pen on it will blur out, due time, and
Even the ink from the printer will fade/blur in time., less than 10 years in most cases.

Quote:
might penetrate to the dye,
For CD-R, yes.
For DVD-R/DVD+R, no, false, impossible.

Quote:
Some old discs also have no extra coating or plastic layer, (label side) the foil will crumble over the years,
Most CD-R have some sort of coating, even if just clean lacquer. But it's weak, not protection.
All DVD-R/DVD+R have a polycarbonate layer below the silver lacquer

Quote:
From Emtec i still have some good discs from years ago.
I don't remember that being a good brand off-hand. More importantly, what's the media ID of the discs?

Quote:
optical RAM discs is same story, plus, not many burners can write them
Even deeper than that, the format of data was VRO, and not easy to extract properly.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
10-02-2018, 11:12 AM
Free Member

I've been a beta tester for Plextor Europe (Belgium) for some years, from the early cd burners, to DVD burners, i have most of their drives but, just before the Bluray drive should come out, at that time the beta team was shut down, yes a lot of dye/discs came out of the same factory, but if you really want to burn optical discs, you should have one that is frequently updated it's firmware to keep up with new dye/discs, but why bother ?
SD/Compact Flash cards, Or USB thumb drives, SSD drives are easier in use, faster too. A NAS in a network is also queit handy. Drivers for hardware are mostly a download like in the manual, or sometimes a cheap SD flash card.

Tags
dvd, verbatim