Go Back    Forum > Featured > General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools
05-29-2018, 09:40 PM
Premium Member

In case you were not aware, there is a very cool YouTube channel of a Video Engineer who is transferring video tape as far back as 1970. This guy is restoring very old equipment and has a huge amount of donated reel to reel video tapes. I think Umatic may be the newest format this guy is working with. He is not a museum, but he has said he may have a website type of museum at some point. Anyway, the footage seems extremely rare, and is quite a trip to see. He explains in a video how some of this footage looks quite bad because whoever was taping off TV did not understand how to adjust the gain. As a result, there is a lot of hot video. He has so much stuff, that he doesn't have time to restore it. He is just posting stuff as he captures it. Just to see this stuff at all seems like a bit of a miracle, considering the odds of the tapes being salvageable (he does a lot of cleaning and baking), and having the gear to successfully play it.

Having just a bit of an understanding of how difficult it can be to transfer VHS, it makes me have a tremendous appreciation for just how much effort it must take to even get just a few minutes of this kind of video digitized.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCt2...xd0yg9VoNrxDhQ
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

05-29-2018, 09:58 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,307 Times in 982 Posts
Interesting link. It's a shame the guy doesn't understand about aspect ratios. You'd think he would at least get that right. Thank goodness he's not working on my tapes.
06-01-2018, 05:47 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post
Interesting link. It's a shame the guy doesn't understand about aspect ratios. You'd think he would at least get that right. Thank goodness he's not working on my tapes.
My exact thoughts.

- Content = interesting
- Quality = yuck

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs