06-11-2018, 02:52 PM
Free Member

I just got a Kramer FC-400, and noticed it has a series of "test patterns" available by using its dip switches. The users manual is very thin and doesn't have a lot of information. I've emailed Kramer Israel, but the product is discontinued.. so I don't expect much of an answer.

The reason I ask is if "pulse bar" is the same as "pulse cross" .. perhaps it overlays the Input video signal and can be used for viewing macrovision and other cp bits in the blanking area. Doses anyone have any experience with the Kramer FC-400?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

06-15-2018, 01:04 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,447 Times in 2,079 Posts
I could never figure it out. You'd twist knobs, press buttons, and it did nothing of value (or nothing at all).

I always treated it like a TBC-1000, meaning I plugged in input and output, and let it do the simple task of purifying a signal (mostly preventing dropped frames), and occasionally removing Macrovision for personal transfers. I didn't twiddle with stuff.

You'll find that most TBC user manuals are terrible, documenting almost nothing. Remember, this was costly broadcast gear from the 90s. Back then, a facility would order entire racks, and somebody came out to set it up and teach you what to do. So having a printed manual was seen as duplicate information, not needed. It was shortsighted and stupid, but that was what happened. .

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
06-15-2018, 01:00 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
I could never figure it out. You'd twist knobs, press buttons, and it did nothing of value (or nothing at all).

I always treated it like a TBC-1000, meaning I plugged in input and output, and let it do the simple task of purifying a signal (mostly preventing dropped frames), and occasionally removing Macrovision for personal transfers. I didn't twiddle with stuff.

You'll find that most TBC user manuals are terrible, documenting almost nothing. Remember, this was costly broadcast gear from the 90s. Back then, a facility would order entire racks, and somebody came out to set it up and teach you what to do. So having a printed manual was seen as duplicate information, not needed. It was shortsighted and stupid, but that was what happened. .

Thanks.. glad to hear at least someone else has tried.

I mostly got it because one dip switch setting adds or declines to add Pedestal (IRE +7.5) and I have a couple EH69 and EH59 dvd/hdd recorders. They expect IRE 0 and removing the Pedestal set-up at the output of the TBC should be useful.

I did hear back from Kramer Israel, they sent me the manual again, then asked what I was using it for.. or how. I mentioned to them the Pedestal control and never heard anything else. The fc-400 was a late addition to their lineup around 2006-2008 I believe, came and went quickly. It is a "format converter" for cvbs to s-video and back, hence part of the "fc-" product line. But it doesn't encode/decode between broadcast standards... so not a multicoder.

I also have a FC-4046 multicoder (both 400, 4046 were new in box).. very nice boxes but not a lot of documentation.

Last edited by jwillis84; 06-15-2018 at 01:11 PM.