Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Edit Video, Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools
06-16-2018, 08:57 AM
Free Member

Hi,

I'm using VirtualDub 1.9.11 to delete the last part of an .avi (Lagarith) and to this shorter made avi I append another .avi (also Lagarith). Then I save the .avi (direct stream copy) and the new .avi has the audio messed up because the audio of the first avi is not removed/deleted.

How to fix this? Is this a bug (in this version only)?

I tried google, nothing but useless append tips, I also tried with audio on 'full processing mode', but no luck.

Thanks

I'm not going to save the first avi and then append the two, that is ridiculous unnecessary work.

Last edited by Byteside; 06-16-2018 at 09:08 AM.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

06-16-2018, 11:45 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,308 Times in 982 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byteside View Post
I'm not going to save the first avi and then append the two, that is ridiculous unnecessary work.
Hmm. I just tried it with two lossless avi's and saved as a 3rd lossless AVI. It worked perfectly. You wouldn't by chance be complicating things by encoding the files on output to another codec or something liken that ? Your last statement above is confusing a it sends me asking what condition and format your sources are.

Ordinarily I do that sort of cut/join with Avisynth, then send the result to VirtualDub or an encoder.. In either case, the files involved have to be exactly the same format, codec, colorspace, etc. Yes, I had two separate saved AVI's, processed in the same way from a capture of a 25-year-old 6-hour EP tape and a bad cable signal. I cut and joined them in VirtualDub, cutting in the middle of the first AVI and then after 275 frames, and cutting about 200 frames into the 2nd AVI, and saved the join as a 3rd AVI. I did that in VirtualDuib and then did it in Avisynth. Same results both ways, with perfect audio sync.

The attached mp4 was cut wirth Avisynth. Why did I choose that one? Because I opened up both versions, couldn't tell which was which, and encoded the one I had already opened in my encoder. Avisynth was easier.

Code:
GB06=AviSource("E:\Livin\GB\GB06_Liv7C1_ivtc_Q_vd_MVC.avi").Trim(2205,2479)
GB07=AviSource("E:\Livin\GB\GB07_Liv7C1_ivtc_Q_vd_MVCnv.avi").Trim(221,470)

GB_Out1=GB06 + GB07
return GB_Out1
You can check sync in the mp4 if you like, it's lots of singing/dancing motion/lip movements, toe taps, etc. They seem in sync to me.

Attached Files
File Type: mp4 Cut_join_sample2.mp4 (11.07 MB, 2 downloads)
The following users thank sanlyn for this useful post: Byteside (06-17-2018)
06-16-2018, 03:43 PM
Free Member

Hello Sanlyn,

Thank you for the quick reply. Sorry for the confusion, this is the situation:

Got a recording of a show but the sound gets bad (noise) in the middle (halfway). That is recording one.
Made a new recording (call it recording two) that starts just before the sound goes bad on the first one so I can stitch them together to get one good recording.
Both recordings are AVI with Lagarith and PCM (no compression) for sound (all settings are the same, resolution etc).

- Open recording one
- Set selection on the last few hundred frames
- Hit delete
- Choose 'Append AVI segment..' from menu and select recording two
- In VirtualDub sound from recording one is not removed causing desync
- Saved AVI also sound desync

Just tried it in VirtualDub 1.10.4, also desync.

I also tried the same 'stitching' as above with smaller/other AVI recordings (with exactly the same settings) and there is no desync.

Weird...
06-16-2018, 08:00 PM
Premium Member

After an hour and a half of trying, I'm unable to replicate your problem. I've even tried wmv videos going back to Windows 95 and used an old Win2000 PC with VirtualDubMod on it. I kept VirtualDub's audio settings at their defaults. Have you tried making the same cuts and joins in Avisynth?
The following users thank sanlyn for this useful post: Byteside (06-17-2018)
06-17-2018, 02:13 PM
Free Member

On the first recording (where the sound went bad) VirtualDub did crash, maybe the AVI file wasn't closed correctly?

I just tried with avisynth (your script, thanks!) and it works correctly!

There is still a tiny audio desync in the original recording(s), not from stitching - how can I easily fix that (with avisynth)?
06-18-2018, 04:16 AM
Premium Member

Avisynth can't fix that particular sync problem.

A file that's crashing VirtualDub definitely has problems. You can use Avisynth to decode the problem file and save it to an intermediate AVI in VirtualDub, and in doing so VirtualDub's audio menu can adjust the audio delay rate on the working file to sync the way it should.