06-16-2018, 04:40 PM
Free Member

Equipment in use:
1x JVC HR-S9700EU
1x 1T-TBC-GL
1x ATI TV Wonder 600 USB

Now after doing some research I know my VCR dont support NTSC 3.58
but only PAL60 when playing any NTSC VHS.
And it don't seem like my TBC works properly with PAL60 either.

So is my only other options to import an high end JVC HR 9600U,9800U,9900U VCR model
and use an step-down voltage converter like this one? https://www.amazon.co.uk/Goldsource-...72e7958259958b
At least that works but will of course cost more.

Any help appreciated
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

06-16-2018, 08:02 PM
Free Member

I've used a Pioneer DVR-440H dvd recorder as pass-through for this purpose. I found that it can accept PAL-60 (and also ntsc-4.43 even though the manual doesn't mention it.), and output standard NTSC.

While I can't speak for that particular JVC model, the line-TBC and digital filtering in video recorders seems to often not be active when playing back NTSC tapes on PAL gear with NTSC playback. The pioneer does a reasonable job at correcting the jitter the line-TBC normally deals with though probably not as good as the build in TBC. Iif you do go this route, I would suggest using the front inputs, as the scart connector on the back seems to be more prone to clipping very high/low video levels for whatever reason.

Other pioneer units from the same line-up (DVR-x40) would probably also work as they're basically the same with some extra features/different drive sizes as far as I know. I know earlier and later models, and many Sony DVD-recorders can also accept PAL-60 though I can't say whether they work for PAL60->NTSC pass-through or just recording. Themaster1 here on the forums mentioned they had bought one of the later sony RDR-HX models, so maybe they can tell whether it can convert like the Pioneer. The famed Panasonic ES10/15 DVD-recorders willl not work.

Another, probably worse option is finding a VCR that can do ntsc 4.43 (which I believe I've used with a 1-TBC once). I know a number of Sony models does this, they have a switch on the back to switch between PAL-60 and NTSC 4.43. There are also some multi-system units that do both native PAL and NTSC, but they're pretty rare. As these are generally cheaper consumer machines though, the playback is probably not as great and you won't have any line-tbc functionality in the VCR itself.
06-16-2018, 09:37 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
If you want a quality problem-free transfer, you simply cannot avoid NTSC VCR for NTSC tapes, or PAL VCR for PAL tapes.

While you will need a step converter for NTSC gear in PAL lands, the opposite is not often true. PAL tends to have 110-240 power ratings, while NTSC is just 110-120. Now, that said, you don't need a 3-digita priced converter. If anything, I find the big units just add noise to the image. There are some 100W max step converters on Amazon that are under $35. I'd go that route first.

The 9600-9911 are nice, but to keep down import costs, certain other models can be just as nice at less cost. Especially due to less weight. I have a few items you may be interested in, and will also discuss that in my next PM reply.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs