Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Hardware Repair

LinkBack Thread Tools
07-05-2018, 03:16 PM
Free Member

Hey guys,

Any idea what might be the issue with this VHS/Mini DV combi I've got?

The VHS side works fine, and has served me well in digitising my tapes. But I picked up a whole load of Mini DV tapes from my dad the other day, and the MiniDV side of this unit is really not happy.

When I put a tape in, it all whirs around and spins, it plays for approximately 0.5-1 second and then the tape rollers release back to their original positions, and the whole VCR turns off.

I've tried quickly cleaning the rollers with isopropyl alcohol and some cotton buds. But that hasn't done anything.

A whole separate issue is that when it ejects the tapes, it leaves part of the tape still behind some rollers. Hard to explain I guess, but I have to take the top off and gently unhook the tape and then manually wind it back into its shell. Obviously it's a minor issue considering it doesn't play the tapes at all... but hey, perhaps it's related.

Any ideas? Is it busted? Can I fix it?

I've attatched some media, a video of the inside of the machine when I try and play a tape. And a photo of the tape 'left behind' when I eject it.

Thanks very much for your help.

Sammy

*Hopefully the attachments work, if not here's a dropbox with the files:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/s8f0ciq4j...N6PnfKJ1a?dl=0

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4602.jpg (91.3 KB, 11 downloads)
Attached Files
File Type: mov IMG_4601trimmed.mov (77.26 MB, 10 downloads)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

Tags
hr-dvs2, mini dv, shutdown