Go Back    Forum > Featured > General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools
08-02-2018, 12:26 AM
Free Member

I picked up a RCA VR721HF 4-head SVHS player made in Japan 1995
Does anyone know what manufacturer made this for RCA or whether it is a clone of a better known brand?
I did some initial Googling but did not come with much.
Thanks!
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

08-03-2018, 12:57 PM
Premium Member

Could be Panasonic based on old newsgroup postings.
08-03-2018, 01:09 PM
Free Member

Thanks for the quick reply.
Any information from that newsgroup you could cut and paste into a reply, if that's not too much trouble?
Panasonic-make would be pretty good.
From a quick test, picture looked pretty good, but I don't know whether any filters were in place because I don't have the original remote and can't get to the menus yet.
Next I'll try to get the remote codes on a universal remote and see what the menus look like.
08-03-2018, 01:33 PM
Premium Member

The postings were kinda vague, just that the tape transport looked similar. Otherwise it appears to be just a standard consumer grade deck.
08-04-2018, 01:07 AM
Free Member

Logitech had the remote settings for this model and so I loaded it up on one of their universal remotes.
Accessed the menu and there are no interesting settings lurking there.
It is just a standard grade deck with "home theatre" pretensions.
But it looks nearly new, was cheap, and is a SVHS with a decent picture quality -- a back-up deck.
I would love to find a service manual (for free). It is not so easy to open up.

-- merged --

I found an interesting snapshot of the VCR market in September of 1994.

Stereo Review Magazine had an article on Hi-Fi VHS models and lists the following. My RCA model is the cheapest of the four SVHS deck.

https://www.americanradiohistory.com...ew-1994-09.pdf

Quote:
Sony's four -head Super VHS SLV-R1000 ($1,499) boasts VCR Plus recording, a flying erase head, automatic digital tracking, a jog/shuttle dial on the deck's flip -down control panel and universal remote control, and an infrared cable -box controller.

JVC's Super VHS HR -56900 ($1,000) features an automatic editing mode: You select up to eight scenes. designate the playback order, and the deck automatically assembles them for dubbing onto a second VCR. It also has a jog/shuttle dial.

Hitachi's Super VHS VT -S772 ($899) is a five-head model with a flying erase head that also features a built-in video filler. a high-speed rewind mode, VCR Plus recording, and an illuminated universal remote control with an LC.3 panel and a jog/shuttle dial.

RCA's Super VHS VR721HF ($749) sports a built-in cable -box controller that automatically selects the proper cable channel for recording. Other features include VCR Plus recording and a universal remote with digital jog/shuttle controls.

Toshiba's VHS Hi-Fi M-760 ($550) uses six video heads to produce noise -free special effects and EP recordings that are said to be virtually indistinguishable 'rom SP recordings. It also boasts an enhanced version 3f VCR Plus recording hat's compatible with cable boxes.

Panasonic's VHS Hi-Fi PV -4464 ($549) features cable -box -compatible VCR Plus recording, over -size on -screen menus, automatic digital tracking and picture adjustment (for worn tapes), and a jog/shuttle dial on both its front panel and its universal remote control.

Mitsubishi's VHS Hi-Fi HS -U500 ($499) automatically adjusts recording parameters to get the best performance from the tape. It also features an on -screen menu system and a "rapid start" transport said to display a picture within 0.3 second of selecting a command.

Sharp's VHS Hi-Fi VC-H914U ($400) uses a new four -head system that's said to deliver near -SP -quality video in the EP mode. Features include double -speed frame advance, on -screen menus. a built-in head cleaner. and a universal remote control.

Zenith's four -head VHS Hi-Fi VRM4220HF ($369) offers automatic digital tracking, a quick -start tape -loading mechanism. slow-motiol playback multilingual on -screen programming, and a built-in head cleaner. A universal remote control is included.

At the top of Magnavox's new four -head VHS Hi-Fi lineup is the VR9362 ($360), which features VCR Plus recording. on -screen menus in English or Spanish. slow-motion playback, front -panel AN inputs. and a universal remote control with a jog/shuttle dial.

Tags
rca model, svhs