Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Blank Media

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
08-18-2018, 02:59 PM
Invalid Email / Banned / Spammer

Does this black box double dvd for 2 or 3 DVD discs damage the long term storage of the discs and data?

Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

08-18-2018, 04:17 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,448 Times in 2,080 Posts
I have a bunch of those, and liked them. Didn't clasp the disc too hard, so no bending the disc.

All of my DVD cases and in boxes in the closet these days. The discs are my backups, and I watch the ISOs on drives. Amusingly, it was the other way around many years ago. ISOs were backups on 1tb drives. Drives expensive, so only did it for rarer discs back them. Now all discs are on 2tb and 5tb drives!

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: gamemaniaco (08-18-2018)
08-18-2018, 04:38 PM

Can I safely use these cases with dual dvd? no problem?

What are the main tips to prevent moisture from damaging storage in the long term? the climate of the region where I live has influence in the conservation of the disc? I do not have silica and I live in the city Limoeiro do Norte State Ceara Country Brazil
08-18-2018, 04:43 PM
Site Staff | Video

If I didn't think these were safe, why would I use them?

I have no tips for moisture for you. All I can do is lament, and say "that sucks". Where I live, there is heat and moisture, but we have central heat and AC to some regulate that. Even then, moisture is a concern of mine. Not just for discs, but papers, cardboard, action figures, etc. I check them often, and the most I can do is just clean up the mess (re-white plastic, clean stuff, etc). You can't fight nature, especially if you're living in it (no AC, no heat, etc). You always ask this, all the time, for years, and I wish you'd stop. I have no answers for you about moisture, beyond my tips given already.

The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: gamemaniaco (08-18-2018)
08-18-2018, 04:52 PM

1 Double Layer DVD is not reliable to long term storage? common layer dvd is safer to date?

2 The climate in my city is Tropical semi-arid with average temperatures ranging from 22/30 degrees Celsius to 35 degrees Celsius and average rainfall of 762 millimeters, concentrated between February and May, in this type of climate the dvdr can store data for how many years?
08-19-2018, 01:21 AM
Site Staff | Video

1. Correct.
2. You have a math question, and the numbers will come from meteorological data, and data that researches the breakdown of plastic. It's not something I care to look into, and I do not know the answer offhand.

Do not derail this thread with unrelated questions to the original topic.

The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: gamemaniaco (08-19-2018)
08-19-2018, 05:51 AM

1) I'm going to use these double case because it takes up less space but I do not want to throw the disks

2) In your opinion, the most correct and fair answer for the long-term storage of DVD mdisc in my climate conditions are closer to 10 or 15 years? Is this count from burning or making the disc?

3) cases box transparent are good or bad?
08-26-2018, 03:53 AM
Site Staff | Video

1. Not a question. I like using less space too.

2. That's a complex question, and really I don't want to answer it right now. In short, it's a bit of both. The time for dye degradation is from burn, but the bonding is really a mix of use with humidity. Usage probably speeds up aging of bonding, but bonding aging start from date of manufacture. You can't do anything about this, so it's a trivia conversation more than not -- especially for you.

3. Transparent = bad, lets in light. Light enemy of dye.

The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: gamemaniaco (08-26-2018)
08-26-2018, 06:21 AM

1) the reduced shelf life expectancy of 15 years for my dvd verbatim mdisc you calculated in what storage conditions? what is humidity and temperature every day?

2) is there currently some media that does not degrade by humidity and temperature for me to migrate the mdisc data to it?

3) Black case preserves dye? any case that protects from moisture?

4) if I burn the disc, store it without using it the glue will live more than 15 years?
08-31-2018, 07:33 AM
Site Staff | Video

1. Storage really won't matter much for the humidity.
2. No.
3. No.
4. Maybe, but probably no.

The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: gamemaniaco (08-31-2018)
08-31-2018, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
1. Storage really won't matter much for the humidity.
2. No.
3. No.
4. Maybe, but probably no.
1) I burn the mdisc dvd verbatim the validity of this data and disk is counted from the date of manufacture of the disk or is counted from the date of burning of the files? obs. I do not constantly use the disc I burned mdsc and I kept storage it

2) For mdisc dvd verbatim what is the actual life expectancy of the data burned in it? Is it the same expectation of verbatim azo?
08-31-2018, 07:57 AM
Site Staff | Video

1. Yes. Both.
2. MDisc is worse. That's what our test data shows. But in your case, probably not any different.

The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: gamemaniaco (08-31-2018)
08-31-2018, 08:08 AM

Quote:
1. Yes. Both.
2. MDisc is worse. That's what our test data shows. But in your case, probably not any different.
1) counting the expectation of the data and the mdisc verbatim dvd is counted starting from the burning or the manufacture of the disc? This is the biggest doubt I have.

2) Did you test mdisc dvd verbatim and tested its glue? mdisc Is it 100% marketing?

3) dvd is the media that suffers less with humidity? I already thought about saving all my files to USB Flash Drive
08-31-2018, 08:16 AM
Site Staff | Video

Honestly, your questions are starting to become psuedo-science. You wanted a prediction, specific to your locale, and I gave you one: 15 years. There's nothing else to tell you. You live somewhere between a rain forest and the ocean, near/in the tropics, and the humidity is simply going to suck for optical media.

The MDisc bonding wasn't anything special.

Yes, save to multiple media: discs, disks, flash, printed papers, whatever. That's true backup.

08-31-2018, 08:22 AM

1) I do not live in the forest I live in this city:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...oNorte.svg.png

2) you said 15 years expectancy mdisc verbatim dvd, 15 years is counted from the beginning of the burning of the disc or 15 years is counted from the manufacture of the disc?
09-15-2018, 01:17 AM
Site Staff | Video

Usage of a disc accelerates the aging. The dye is breaking down regardless, Slower if not used. So I can't answer your either/or question, the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

You're starting to make me randomly guess with all the "how long will this last" questions. The accurate answer is the cross between an elephant and rhina: helifino. But I can tell you various aspects to help you come up with a good estimate. However, you keep expecting me to make the estimates for you.

If you buy discs this year, and burn some, I think 15 years is a good conservative estimate given the storage conditions and climate. Those may last longer, some may last less, but overall I think it's close. If you buy discs, and don't use them for 5-10-whatever years, then the life expectancy after burning won't still be 15 more years. Maybe just 10 or 12 or so. I've never really tested unused media in outdoor climates. Indoor unused, yes. Indoor and outdoor used, yes. And quite frankly, my info for outdoor unused is extrapolated from indoor unused vs unsed. So the margin for error is not something I've overly confident in.

I don't like pulling info out of my ass, but that's almost where we're at now.

The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: gamemaniaco (09-15-2018)
09-15-2018, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Usage of a disc accelerates the aging. The dye is breaking down regardless, Slower if not used. So I can't answer your either/or question, the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

You're starting to make me randomly guess with all the "how long will this last" questions. The accurate answer is the cross between an elephant and rhina: helifino. But I can tell you various aspects to help you come up with a good estimate. However, you keep expecting me to make the estimates for you.

If you buy discs this year, and burn some, I think 15 years is a good conservative estimate given the storage conditions and climate. Those may last longer, some may last less, but overall I think it's close. If you buy discs, and don't use them for 5-10-whatever years, then the life expectancy after burning won't still be 15 more years. Maybe just 10 or 12 or so. I've never really tested unused media in outdoor climates. Indoor unused, yes. Indoor and outdoor used, yes. And quite frankly, my info for outdoor unused is extrapolated from indoor unused vs unsed. So the margin for error is not something I've overly confident in.

I don't like pulling info out of my ass, but that's almost where we're at now.
1) Did you say that my mdisc verbatim DVD will live 15 years under my storage conditions but 15 years it used constantly or burned storage without use? storage without use would live in theory how many years? mdisc uses inorganic dye does he not use organic dye

2) I bought the mdisc verbatim dvd in december 2016 and I burned the discs in 2017 but I do not know what year of manufacture these discs? I do not know if the expectation of the disc is counted from the date of manufacture or from the date of burning

Lordsmurf please respond my questions above
09-29-2018, 12:25 AM
Free Member

To be as safe as possible, you should not burn on DVDs. Try using stone tablets instead. You can leave them out in the sun, rain, snow, or mudslide, they are unaffected by humidity, and last for millennia, unless you drop them from a three-story building. Drawbacks: they are very heavy and don't come in a re-writable format.
09-29-2018, 08:51 PM

1) Did you say that my mdisc verbatim DVD will live 15 years under my storage conditions but 15 years it used constantly or burned storage without use? storage without use would live in theory how many years? mdisc uses inorganic dye does he not use organic dye

2) I bought the mdisc verbatim dvd in december 2016 and I burned the discs in 2017 but I do not know what year of manufacture these discs? I do not know if the expectation of the disc is counted from the date of manufacture or from the date of burning
09-30-2018, 04:00 PM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsordawson View Post
To be as safe as possible, you should not burn on DVDs. Try using stone tablets instead. You can leave them out in the sun, rain, snow, or mudslide, they are unaffected by humidity, and last for millennia, unless you drop them from a three-story building. Drawbacks: they are very heavy and don't come in a re-writable format.
I read this a few nights ago, and got a good laugh from it. Thanks for the levity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamemaniaco View Post
Yes.

The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: Winsordawson (12-02-2018)
Closed Thread

Tags
box