Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Restore, Filter, Improve Quality

LinkBack Thread Tools
09-02-2018, 02:54 AM
Free Member

Hi All

Hoping to get some advice on cleaning up the attached video which I have attached a screen shot .jpg file for. As you can see, the footage has heaps of bleeding, over exposure, yellow bluriness etc.

My workflow is:

Early to mid 1980s NTSC 3.58 VHS tape (Looks like it's had a pretty hard life) ----> JVC HR-S7600AM VCR ----> HRT Hall Research Model TBC-100 (turned up sharpness) ----> BlackMagic Intensitry Pro 4K PCI-E ---- Windows 10 ---- BlackMagic Media Express -- capturing and saving at 525i59 NTSC 8-bit YUV Avi file.

I have a Elite Video Broadcast Video Processor Plus that I bought because it was mentioned in this forum as being good kit. I have tried to use it but I just make the footage look bad in other different ways as I don't really know what I am doing with all the knobs as I don't understand what composes these footage quality issues.

Just by looking at the video capture screen shot, does anyone know what settings I should adjust on the Elite Video Broadcast Video process to try and clean this footage up? I have attached a picture of the Elite Video unit so you can see the dials that can be adjusted on it.

I really need to get the capture footage on this tape improved as much as possible as it is important to me.

Thanks

Attached Images
File Type: png Clean this footage.PNG (583.8 KB, 18 downloads)
File Type: jpg Elite Video Processor.jpg (49.4 KB, 20 downloads)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

09-02-2018, 03:52 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Honestly, just start twisting knobs, see what happens.

That footage is really damaged, however, so I'm not sure how much the BVP4+ can improve on it. What I see is a video with destroyed mid tones, severely damaged chroma, obliterates highlights, no true darks. That's common from 8mm film footage transferred to VHS by playing it on a wall backdrop/screen, and using a VHS camera to shoot it. That's not much better than how modern movie pirates take a camera phone and shoot the theatre screen. It just looks really bad, almost not worth watching.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: Upandrunning (12-06-2021)

Tags
digital capture, quality improvement, quality issues