Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Blank Media

LinkBack Thread Tools
12-06-2018, 07:36 PM
Free Member

I've learned over time that the best is not always the newest model available.

I am getting into BD-R (Blu Ray write once) and perhaps BD-RE (Blue Ray read write) LordSmurf you have recommended Pioneer internal drives for burning Blue Ray and LiteOn for reading Blu Ray in the past. Do you like specific models?

Has any of that changed in the last couple of years?

I have just splurged on a new Pioneer BDR-2209, mostly because it is (not) the newest BDR-211 and specifically states it supported Win7 and XP .. so I think it will straddle the most number of operating systems.

But my guess, could be very inadequate, fool hardy and of poor quality.

I have heard a lot about LG drives, and they are popular but its seems beyond features their low cost drives enthusiasm, followed by near universal distraction over their loud noise and very short lifespans.

This will not be the only Burner I purchase.. after I've listened much and learned my lessons I will be buying more. .. so my mind is wide open to suggestions.

My goals are not to produce universally sharable and playable discs, but rather to store lots of archival SD video and general computer data files and some ISO data files like windows install discs. So volume and stability are the top features I seek.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

12-09-2018, 02:04 PM
Free Member

I think that OS is much less relevant than blank media compatibility in terms of burn quality. In this I know that the 208 can be better than the 209. The 211 I don't know much about but you could check the omnibus thread at myce:

https://club.myce.com/t/results-disc...-s11j-x/397710

NB, thread is for the slightly more upscale, durable Japanese models, but it should at least give you an idea.

Lite-Ons and some rare LG and Samsung can do disc quality tests, but I haven't really noticed much of a difference in ripping and generally end up using my Pioneer.

Also - I don't think the older models can read 4K UHD BDs. You'd also be paying a premium for the older drives, especially if you're trying to find NOS. Something to bear in mind.
12-09-2018, 02:12 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,447 Times in 2,079 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bilditup1 View Post
I think that OS is much less relevant than blank media compatibility in terms of burn quality.
OS is entirely irrelevant when it comes to disc burning.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
12-09-2018, 05:44 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
OS is entirely irrelevant when it comes to disc burning.
Ha, that's basically what I thought, but I didn't quite feel confident enough to make a categorical statement