12-13-2018, 01:09 AM
Premium Member

Just wasted a few hours trying to get Huffyuv to be visible to ANY version of Virtualdub... if Google could find it, I tried it. Nothing. My other capture programs (AmarecTV, vMIX, Vegas pro 16, etc..) don't see it. Mmview doesn't see it, BUT Installed Codec tool and codec tweak tool both say it is installed... Though Codec tweak tool thinks it's a 64-bit version. The files are in the right place, I have followed the instructions for installing the 32-bit version on windows x64 (I'm using Windows 10 x64). I then removed every single reference to "huffyuv" from my HDD and registry, then tried to reinstall, but still no love. Just a bit frustrated that something so simple sucked up soooo much time. Help?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

12-13-2018, 03:39 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,307 Times in 982 Posts
Welcome to Windows 10. We beg people not to use it for video. I can add this thread to the many complaints we've seen about W10 since the day it was released. Huffyuv works on my W10 laptop, but with W10 and a different machine you never can tell. And of course you can't mix 64-bit and 32-bit in the same app, so that's another problem that W10 has trouble with.

In the meantime there's Lagarith. https://lags.leetcode.net/codec.html

I don't know why I forgot to mention, but have you seen http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...html#post11627. Works for W10 as well.
The following users thank sanlyn for this useful post: lordsmurf (12-13-2018)
12-13-2018, 12:27 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drzapp View Post
I have followed the instructions for installing the 32-bit version on windows x64 (I'm using Windows 10 x64).
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post
I don't know why I forgot to mention, but have you seen http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...html#post11627. Works for W10 as well.
Yep, tried it. Twice.
12-13-2018, 02:18 PM
Premium Member

You have to copy both the .inf file and the .dll into SYSWOW64 before running the command script in the sample shown.
12-13-2018, 03:08 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post
You have to copy both the .inf file and the .dll into SYSWOW64 before running the command script in the sample shown.
Yes, that was part of the instructions I followed in the post you linked
01-11-2019, 04:30 PM
Unconfirmed User

I'm having this problem too. I'm quickly remembering why I went all Mac since Windows NT...

After I have no idea how many attempts I finally got HuffYUV V2.1.1 and Lagarith Lossless Codec installed on Windows 10 and VirtualDub2 sees them in the compression settings. However, when I try to play the exported movie in Media Player, it says "Missing Codec, this item was encoded in a format that's not supported". Sound plays but no picture. MediaInfo shows the new files used those codecs. VDub2 loads the new files fine. How can one part of Windows see the codec but the other not?

Erich
01-11-2019, 05:04 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELinder View Post
I'm having this problem too. I'm quickly remembering why I went all Mac since Windows NT...

After I have no idea how many attempts I finally got HuffYUV V2.1.1 and Lagarith Lossless Codec installed on Windows 10 and VirtualDub2 sees them in the compression settings. However, when I try to play the exported movie in Media Player, it says "Missing Codec, this item was encoded in a format that's not supported". Sound plays but no picture. MediaInfo shows the new files used those codecs. VDub2 loads the new files fine. How can one part of Windows see the codec but the other not?

Erich
First thing I'd do is to try installing VLC and see if it can play it. If not, you probably do have a codec problem. If it can, your problem is Media Player.
01-11-2019, 05:47 PM
Unconfirmed User

VLC will play just about anything but I think it has its own codecs library included. I'm assuming Media Player still uses the codecs avaiable system-wide, which would also be nexessary for AviSynth to see those codecs and execute scripts from it, no?

Erich
01-11-2019, 06:01 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
VLC will play just about anything but I think it has its own codecs library included. I'm assuming Media Player still uses the codecs avaiable system-wide,?
Correct.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
01-11-2019, 07:09 PM
Premium Member

Quote:

Erich
Good work on getting the codecs installed.

I can almost understand why anyone would use Windows10 for video work (repeat almost, but not entirely), but it's incomprehensible why anyone would use any version of Windows Media Player, since every version past v8.6 (Win98) has been worse than the previous one. Nowadays many WMP user controls don't work, so why are they even included? I'm surprised you get sound, much less video. With many newer video formats you get nada.

VLC and MediaMediaClassic are stock players for most users these days. And there are several other players around.
01-11-2019, 07:33 PM
Unconfirmed User

Well, I found a Windows 7 that's coming and I'm still looking for a WinXP, so for now I only have Win10. As for why I used WMP, it's on the first page of the AviSynth guide in the example scripts. Since I'm just starting to learn it, that's what I used.

If WMP is that broken, is it possible I do in fact have the system codecs properly installed even if WMP can't play the files? Is there another way to verify that?

Erich
01-11-2019, 10:20 PM
Premium Member

Unfortunately that section of Avisynth docs is out of date unless you're using Win98 or the older XP, which had earlier and unbroken versions of WMP. Today WMP is useless.

Run .avs scripts in VirtualDub, where you have consistent performance and more controls that you can play with. Use "File..." -> "Open video file....", navigate to the .avs script, and select it. Don't use the Run script menu option -- it's for VirtualDub scripts, not for Avisynth. VirtualDub sees .avs script output as a video stream -- which, of course, is what a running .avs script actually is.

Last edited by sanlyn; 01-11-2019 at 11:15 PM.
01-11-2019, 10:45 PM
Unconfirmed User

Thanks for that. The out of date docs for Avisynth and Virtualdub2 is definitely frustrating, as well as the different forks and multiple versions of scripts and plugins. If you've been around while they were evolving it probably isn't so bad, but for a newbie trying to get up to speed it's a bit daunting and overwhelming, and it's easy to get sidetracked down a path that you fnd out isn't valid any more.

Erich
01-11-2019, 11:33 PM
Premium Member

Usually when I post detailed .avs script notes in restoration threads, I try to stick with older versions before the current gaggle of geeks on re-versioning steroids got to them. Some of the original download links have been replaced by new versions that sometimes work only on the developers' machines. Many of the original versions that disappeared are archived here at digitalfaq. Those are the versions I use in forum links, if they are still working. That's why most of the restoration threads quote plugins like QTGMC version 3.32, along with support files that appeared only up until November 2017 -- after that date, several of the plugins will no longer work anywhere, and some will require you to buy specific graphics cards or operating system versions, not to mention making years of older Avisynth projects useless. If the old filters aren't working any more, i don't use them in posts.

Yes, I know, many of the new versions are faster, meaner, and just plain cyber-califragilisticexpialidocious. But if I have to spend weeks rewriting and reconfiguring scores of projects, they're not that great!
01-12-2019, 09:42 AM
Unconfirmed User

This probably merits its own thread, but since we're already here...

This site to a large degree suffers from the same problem as trying to follow things on Doom9 or any development site for Avisynth and VDub. It's been around for so long things are scattered around and so many versions of things are used/discussed that I find it almost impossible to follow along for example when I search for a topic and read those posts. Even the "guides" threads suffer from that creep. Heck, just today I again found that VDub2 is really not recommended due to some issues. The main problem with that is that I don't (hopefully only 'yet') have the eye to see the problems if/when they appear. Places like 100fps.com and some of LS's examples help me visualize what the problems are and what to look for, but I still can't see a lot of what's being talked about let alone figure out a way for how to handle it.

I'm amazed at the detailed responses you, LS, and others here make when people ask questions, but I can't help but think it would be less time consuming for you if there was one simple list that was kept up to date of known stable recommended versions of Avisynth, Virtualdub, scripts, plugins, and codecs without having to go thru dozens of threads looking for what's currently recommended and figuring out what's what and where to get it. All the help given here is fabulous, but I'd rather learn how to fish than be given a fish every time I'm hungry.

Erich