12-14-2018, 06:20 PM
Premium Member

I'm capturing VHS using a VC500 USB, AG1980, amarecTV with GV lossless as interlaced NTSC. when I play it back in VLC player with deinterlace, it looks fine. If I turn deinterlace off, it of course looks obviously interlaced. I then drop it into DVD Architect (part of Vegas pro) and burn a 480i DVD, 9.8 bit rate, interlaced. So from capture to burn, there is no deinterlacing or data loss till the final step. I thought that meant I would get a better picture because of minimal rendering, but when I play that DVD back on my XBox, the image looks like this-
1214181438_HDR.jpg

Very bad interlacing. This was just taken by my phone on a 1080p flat screen, so not the best reproduction. The TV says the signal coming in is 480i, which I thought was the DVD standard, and DVD players did the deinterlacing for progressive displays? If I play it back on my ES15 (connected to my computer), it looks fine. Is this a function of the Xbox or TV? I haven't tried playing with the ES15 plugged into the TV yet.. it's going to take a lot of rearranging for that to happen, but I suppose that is the next step, or is there something obvious I am missing? How do you verify that your DVDs will play back well on many different TVs?

Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

12-14-2018, 07:11 PM
Free Member

Are you sure it's encoded as interlaced mpeg2 when creating the DVD? If it's encoded as progressive scan that would make the player think it is progressive rather than interlaced.

AVI files have no way of indicating whether they are interlaced and what field order they have unless the codec itself supports it, so one will usually have to specify this to the application that encodes them to mpeg2 DVD format manually. Haven't used DVD Architect so I can't tell you how that's done in that specific application.

You can test this by playing the DVD with VLC with deinterlace set to auto. Also set deinterlace mode to yadif (2x), which will tell you if the field order is set correctly, if it's not it will look very jittery.
12-14-2018, 09:31 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgey View Post
Are you sure it's encoded as interlaced mpeg2 when creating the DVD? If it's encoded as progressive scan that would make the player think it is progressive rather than interlaced.

AVI files have no way of indicating whether they are interlaced and what field order they have unless the codec itself supports it, so one will usually have to specify this to the application that encodes them to mpeg2 DVD format manually. Haven't used DVD Architect so I can't tell you how that's done in that specific application.

You can test this by playing the DVD with VLC with deinterlace set to auto. Also set deinterlace mode to yadif (2x), which will tell you if the field order is set correctly, if it's not it will look very jittery.
I'm fairly certain DVD-A is set up for interlaced correctly- here are my project properties
DVDasettings.jpg

Edit- here is a screenshot of VLC with auto deinterlace on

You must be logged in to view this content; either login or register for the forum. The attached screen shots, before/after images, photos and graphics are created/posted for the benefit of site members. And you are invited to join our digital media community.

Looks the same to me. I also used yadif2x, it wasn't jittery. Now I'm really confused...

Last edited by drzapp; 12-14-2018 at 09:43 PM.
12-14-2018, 10:50 PM
Premium Member

I got an idea and played the file in the DVD Architect preview that you use to check everything before burning... and it looks like it is supposed to. More confusion.

Attached Files
File Type: avi DVDAprecut.avi (76.72 MB, 1 downloads)