12-17-2018, 03:41 PM
Free Member

While choosing a high-end VCR, I'm also looking for capturing hardware to go with it. These are the items that I've done research on that I'll be needing.

Time Base Corrector: DataVideo TBC-1000
Processing Amplifier: SignVideo PA-100/PA-200
Sharpner: SignVideo DR-1000 Image Enhancer
Digital Video Stabilizer: XDIMAX GREX-7.4 Grex Video Stabilizer

I'm also looking for audio processor but don't know which brand or model to choose. I also heard about an item called a scaler that upscale a VHS video to DVD resolution.

Am I missing any necessary items? And can I do better than the items I have listed?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

12-18-2018, 06:26 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,447 Times in 2,079 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phileholic View Post
While choosing a high-end VCR, I'm also looking for capturing hardware to go with it. These are the items that I've done research on that I'll be needing.

Time Base Corrector: DataVideo TBC-1000
Processing Amplifier: SignVideo PA-100/PA-200
Sharpner: SignVideo DR-1000 Image Enhancer
Digital Video Stabilizer: XDIMAX GREX-7.4 Grex Video Stabilizer

I'm also looking for audio processor but don't know which brand or model to choose. I also heard about an item called a scaler that upscale a VHS video to DVD resolution.

Am I missing any necessary items? And can I do better than the items I have listed?
There are several TBCs that are viable (and many you want to avoid!), but TBC-1000 is a good one.

A proc amp is entirely optional, as is the detailer.

Do not buy a Grex. That thing is overpriced junk that messes with the signal. It's a cheap wanna-be TBC, and claims to remove copy protection. It does not. Not entirely. It will "remove" some aspect, but leaves behind issues with color, luma, flickering, etc.

There are 3 main components of a good workflow:
1. S-VHS VCR with internal line TBC
2. external framesync timebase correction (different from internal line)
3. quality capture card, either internal or USB

Also read this: http://www.digitalFAQ.com/editorials...g-workflow.htm

And do note that I have a few items in the marketplace.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
12-18-2018, 09:54 AM
Free Member

If not a Grex then what's a good high-end Digital Video Stabilizer, that not justs removes copy protection but also does as the name says.
12-18-2018, 10:30 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,447 Times in 2,079 Posts
"digital video stabilizer" is a meaningless BS marketing term. It's not jargon, and refers to no actual device. It's a made-up nothing of a term, used by Sima, Grex, and some others. Also called "filters" or "clarifiers", and none of them do anything like what the descriptive name would lead you to believe.

You have two primary issues to address with VHS:
- timing aka "horizontal jitter" (jargon not to be confused with laymen ideas of "jitter", or an image vibration)
- tearing, aka skewing, aka flagging

A time base corrector corrects timing, though also understand that timing and TBC are wide terms, so you can just use any TBC to fix any timing. That's why specific models are suggested, like green AVT-8710, DataVideo TBC-1000, and others. You also have line vs. frame sync. Line is in the VCR, framesync is external box.

Tearing is corrected via Panasonic DMR-ES10/15 passthrough.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs