Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Encode, Convert for discs

LinkBack Thread Tools
02-04-2019, 08:27 AM
Free Member

Hi all,

I'm desperately trying to acquire the installation files for the Plextor ConvertX PX-402U.

The installation software will produce the screen I've attached to this post. I include the image to indicate that it's not just the drivers I need.

If anyone can help or offer advice on this matter I'd be extremely grateful, more than you know.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Best wishes,

Kevin

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Plextor Application Installer Screen.JPG (30.8 KB, 34 downloads)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

02-04-2019, 10:40 AM
Free Member

Do you have the user manual?
http://static.highspeedbackbone.net/...UserManual.pdf

The device package apparently included:
ConvertX PX-M402U Digital Video Converter
• AC adapter (100–240 V) and power cord
• USB 2.0 cable
• Set of audio/video (A/V) cables
• S-Video cable
• Plextor ConvertX PX-M402U Installation and Users Manual
• Plextor CD with:
- Plextor ConvertX USB device driver
- InterVideo WinDVD Creator 2 and WinDVD 5 player software
- Adobe Acrobat Reader
- PDF of French-language users manual

Attached Files
File Type: pdf Plextor_PX-M402U_UserManual.pdf (2.92 MB, 7 downloads)
02-04-2019, 10:53 AM
Free Member

Hi there :-)

Yes, I have the user manual but not the installation disc. Would be fantastic if you could help :-)

Best wishes,

Kevin
02-04-2019, 05:43 PM
Free Member

I might still have a distribution disc (not sure), but I am not near my archives and will not be for a week or so.

Which specific content do you seek? Meanwhile, knowing the content, you may be able to download the provided software somewhere.
02-06-2019, 03:36 AM
Free Member

Hi there,

First of all, apologies for delay in response.

I'm trying to get a hold of the drivers (for Windows XP) and the ancillary software for the Plextor. I think that if I have everything the Plextor came with, I'm fully covered, as it were. I'm a bit concerned about downloading the drivers from a site that might not be legitimate, hence contacting this excellent forum.

If you were to be able to locate the installation files on your return I would be extremely grateful.

Thanks again for your interest.

Best wishes, Kevin
02-08-2019, 06:25 AM
Free Member

Found some of the stuff. The CD has about 238 MB of content (as an ISO image file), some of which may be of little value at this point such as the Adobe Acrobat Reader v6. Some of which may require registration serial numbers/activation codes such as the Intervideo WINDVD stuff. It all dates from 2004.

The 402U Driver file only is about 1.3 MB
The DirectX9 files run 39 MB
The Intervideo files run 165 MB

Attached is the TREE structure of the disc for your information.

Given its quality limitations for analog video restoration purposes you still want it?

Would DFAQ want the information?

Attached Files
File Type: txt PlexDisc.txt (2.4 KB, 45 downloads)
02-08-2019, 07:26 AM
Free Member

Hello,

Thank you so much, your help is very much appreciated. If it was possible for me to have all the files I could at least be secure in the knowledge that if something doesn't work, it's not because of anything missing. If you were able to WeTransfer (or equivalent) the files to kevin@rockpool.co.uk, I would be extremely grateful.

I'll also keep an eye on this forum and look for opportunities to help people in the generous way I've been helped by yourself.

With best wishes,

Kevin
02-08-2019, 07:34 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,460 Times in 2,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpalomaki View Post
Would DFAQ want the information?
Yes.

Just zip up the Plextor files, attach to a post.

Add this to a zip:
Quote:
Plextor.exe
+---Drivers
+---Manual
NOT this:
Quote:
+---InterVideo
+---AdobeReader
+---DirectX9
- VLC is better than the WinDVD player.
- DirectX9 is still available from MS if needed.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
02-08-2019, 08:14 AM
Free Member

Here are the driver and manual directories, and Plextor.exe file.

I included the InstPath.ini just in case the Plextor.exe program is an installation program that needs to see it.

Attached Files
File Type: zip PPX-M402U-Driver_Manuals.zip (4.15 MB, 187 downloads)
The following users thank dpalomaki for this useful post: hdfills (03-26-2019), HDWien (01-12-2022), kevinhmr (02-09-2019), lordsmurf (02-08-2019)
02-09-2019, 08:38 AM
Free Member

Thank you so much for all your help - you've given a new lease of life to a piece of hardware I thought was destined to be used as a paperweight.

Your generosity is much appreciated and I will look for opportunities to return the favour on this excellent forum.

With best wishes,

Kevin
10-30-2019, 05:44 AM
Free Member

Send a message via Skype™ to northern_glenn
I am looking for the MAC version to install it to my MacbookPro.
If any one may have the software for it, I would be so greatful.

Glenn

PS: In fact, any software that will make the PX-TV402U work on my mac.
10-30-2019, 08:45 AM
Free Member

I believe there was a MAC veraion; i.e., ConvertX PX-TV402U-NA/MAC.

However, the software i have (and uploaded) is labeled as for Windows 2000/XP.

I do not know whether or not a PC emulator (BootCamp???)running on a MAC would work?
10-30-2019, 02:07 PM
Free Member

Send a message via Skype™ to northern_glenn
Thank you very much.

Yes, there was a mac version.
However, I do have Fusion VMware running on my MBP.
Of course, I rather, if I could, run natively on mac. Esp when having to capture & compress video/audio.
The TV hardware is not essential. Every air ways here is digital, and no longer any analog signals left.

Thanks again for the help.

though, I have scoured the internet, I haven't found any software for this, Mac or Windows. Is all drivers updater junk!

Glenn
10-31-2019, 06:38 AM
Free Member

Mac - ConvertXPVR (PX-TV402U) - EyeTV 2.0
WPC - ConvertXPVR (PX-TV402U/NA) - WinDVR + ULead VIdeoStudio 8 SE
WPC - ConvertXPVR (PX-TV402U/UK) - Anonymous software
WPC - ConvertX (PX-M402U) - WinDVD Creator

It uses the Winsbond MPEG4/DiVX chip

VirtualDub supports it because Avery Lee specifically added support for the default Compressed MPEG stream available from its windows driver pin.

On the Mac support was limited to the EyeTV 2/3 thirdparty software.

Its a USB family of devices which does not offer an Uncompressed video stream option, but it does go up to 720x480 resolution, but was more commonly used at 352x240 by programs like WinDVR

I rounded up one of each device and original CDROMs of the programs and their drivers this year (2019). They are nice for outboard compression engines but not what most people would seek for archiving video tape these days.

It is nice that the same hardware box crosses over from one operating system to the other (Windows to OS X) using a single USB cable, but they are wall adapter powered.

The compliment (or similar device) which worked the same way, but did not send a Compressed stream over USB was the ATI TV Wonder USB2.0N (ATI AIW USB2.0). A very nice box that runs a little hot. On the Mac under EyeTV 2/3 there is no Uncompressed output option since that program is really not for archiving video tapes, but even on the Mac it is an Uncompressed stream over the USB cable. On the PC the stream is also Uncompressed over the USB cable, but the ATI software can save it as Uncompressed.. or similar to the ConvertX, its fully supported under VirtualDub in its native Uncompressed mode. This box is also wall adapter powered.

One of the really nice things about these is they have "full sized" and separate audio and video (composite or s-video) connectors. Which minimizes crosstalk or physical strain between the signal lines. Later USB dongles either built the wires into a squidy output thing or "neck" connector which tended to get lost or wear out.

There aren't a lot of Compressed or Uncompressed hardware devices that cross the Windows <-> OS X divide and work on either platform. OS X is killing Quicktime for good at the end of this year (2019) and Windows X is killing off hardware support for non-UVC "video camera" drivers pretty much last year. So older operating systems are quickly become the only option for video capture.

Other than EyeTV 2/3 on the Mac, the only other capture software of note to me is the EchoFX "USB Glide" software, which is used by many products hooked up to a Mac over USB.. but they have announced the are calling it quits with the death of Quicktime. Pretty much the future on Mac and Windows capture is going to depend on a device driver that exposes a UVC hardware device interface.. which favors HD or HDMI content and doesn't allow very much tweaking. "the Dark Age.. is here"

Grass Valley made/imported the ADVCmini which is totally awesome.. but extremely "Rare" to find. It had its own in-house develop software unique to that device but based on Quicktime Digitizer tech.. it sometimes conflicts with AJA or Glide software if they are all installed at the same time on the same Mac. But its really nice to have a compact "expert" device for capture that does its own thing.

Its pretty hard matching up an operating system version with a hardware version and avoiding patches and updates that automatically break or "de-support" the hardware.. you need a dedicated box that you backup regularly and don't plan to use for anything else.

Last edited by jwillis84; 10-31-2019 at 07:35 AM.
06-01-2020, 10:56 AM
Free Member

I recently went to transfer some old VHS to DVD using the Plextor Convertx PX-402u and I could find the drivers, but I could not find the windvd software. I have scoured my domicile but I could not find the install disks.
Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks
06-01-2020, 02:18 PM
Free Member

You only need WinDVD Creator and an old key to activate it.

Online registration before Corel bought it is not required.

WinDVR only works with the TV402U version with the tuner, it will not work with the M402U version.. I don't know if its hardware locked for licensing reasons.. or the driver set is simply too old.. could be either or both.

Virtual Dub (kind of) works with it.. but WinDVD works far better.. if not clunky by 2011 standards.. its an early decade device so they were trying out lots of things that are non-standard today.

The picture at 720x480 is "soft" but I suspect its due to some non-standard "filter" which they applied back in the day to intentionally "blur" things for redisplay on CRT televisions. The Display type used to select LCD, TV, CRT, Projector on playback in the viewer.

So many things to compensate for.. later 2011 and up devices had crossed the 2009 "NTSC end of life" and assumed everything was digital and produced much better captures for digital systems today.. until game capture took over the market and made everything AVCHD or DiVX or whatever.

I am pretty sure the ISO image is uploaded here some place.. you might check with LordSmurf.
06-01-2020, 03:08 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,460 Times in 2,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwillis84 View Post
You only need WinDVD Creator
Can you? Probably.
Should you? Nope. Crap software. Ugly capturing.

Quote:
I am pretty sure the ISO image is uploaded here some place.. you might check with LordSmurf.
I probably do. I've archived an incredible amount of video software/drivers/hacks over the years.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
06-01-2020, 03:26 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
Can you? Probably.
Should you? Nope. Crap software. Ugly capturing.
Its not my favorite software to use, but curiosity had me chasing it for a long time.

A YouTube video probably would have been enough to satisfy my curiosity, but I really never found any.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
I probably do. I've archived an incredible amount of video software/drivers/hacks over the years.
I'm sorta starting to get into the same boat

I did find a Tevion USB recently that captured on Mac with Video Glide, talked about here.. it identified as a generic Empia 2861 .. I was hoping it would be the Tvp chip from Texas Instruments.. gosh I waste a lot of time.