Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
02-23-2019, 09:00 PM
Free Member

Hello

I am trying to figure out what some really good VHS players are for playing movies on like a Sony BVM or PVM monitor with BNC connectors. It would be nice if this player was not so rare that no one can fix it?

We have one electronics shop (been in business for 30 years). They can work on VHS decks, but its been a while since no really uses them anymore.

I have seen some videos on youtube of VHS tapes being played on a really good VHS player, on a BVM or PVM profressional monitor. And I just love how awesome they look.

Thanks
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

02-23-2019, 10:04 PM
Free Member

I have a HP LCD monitor from mid 2000's was designed for media display and I'm using my VCR with S-Video cable and the picture looks phenomenon.

What you need is a VCR with S-Video output and use modern good quality monitors you get better results, Unless such CRT is acquired for repair and calibration purposes, That's a different story.
02-24-2019, 07:23 AM
Free Member

The Panasonic DMR E35S will also output VHS playback over it's component video output (progressive mode) (RCA) connections, you can't get better than that if the (TV) monitor has these too ofcourse.... LCD or Plasma... YUV ..
But BVM or PVM is CRT RGB color space i understand... which is mostly for the gaming fanboys
02-24-2019, 02:14 PM
Free Member

I agree, you can't beat Plasma with RGB input, It blows CRT out of the water, I didn't mention OLED because 4K is overkill for VHS, I tried it on my LG 65" TV but it looked blurry, I have to admit though the contrast and the dynamic range were the best I've ever seen from VHS compared to both Plasma and CRT.
The following users thank latreche34 for this useful post: rustynutt (06-03-2019)
02-24-2019, 07:13 PM
Free Member

Yes, most screens now are bigger and have a higher resolution ofcourse, a PAL video signal will be converted, and enlarged, this will enlarge any "dirt" too, previously not visible, i don't know which video inputs the poster has on his (tv) monitor, RGB + sync from composite, or component video YUV.... but the E35S can be set to each through a settings menu.
The E35S is a DVD VHS combo, it can record/transfer to both media, in pure PAL or NTSC component in progressive mode.

btw.. Plasma screens can emit some RF interferrence, which can be an issue when the vcr is close to it.
02-24-2019, 07:25 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric-Jan View Post
The E35S is a DVD VHS combo, it can record/transfer to both media, in pure PAL or NTSC component in progressive mode.
But based on sample clips I've seen to date, it's blended deinterlace output. That's not good. I often saw this behavior on DVD recorders in years past, when the unit was internally processing the video to non-native output.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
02-24-2019, 07:46 PM
Free Member

I never heard of blended deinterlace, but i like this feature, because i don't have to deinterlace myself, and i think it does good job, and how does one know it's "blended" when you do not know what the source material is....

btw, the only (few) samples i made available, i have put on my YT channel, i don't think you can judge such a exact quality level by that... a large amount of quality depends mostly on the recording itself.
02-25-2019, 11:16 AM
Free Member

In any case you don't want to deinterlace the VHS video when watching on a CRT. That kind of defeats the purpose of watching on one.

As for VHS deck, I don't know what model specifically would look best, though a decent SVHS deck would probably be nice. Not sure if line-tbc and other digital processing is as important for a CRT as for capture, I think at least some PVMs had some stabilizing functionality build in.
02-25-2019, 12:28 PM
Free Member

Yes, a VCR with RGB (interlaced)output would be the best choice, with SCART connectors most of the time, these where for decoders/settop boxes, (and tv) for cable or satellite viewing/recording.
02-25-2019, 06:21 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgey View Post
Not sure if line-tbc and other digital processing is as important for a CRT as for capture
It always matters.

Quote:
with SCART connectors most of the time
s-video is always preferred, though lesser-quality content can sometimes allow the lesser-quality connection without obvious adverse effects.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
02-26-2019, 02:46 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Yes, a VCR with RGB (interlaced)output would be the best choice, with SCART connectors most of the time, these where for decoders/settop boxes, (and tv) for cable or satellite viewing/recording.
Curious does such deck even exists mean broadwise known models.

KM-V7EG are some JVC's own manufactured optional accesitory made for HR-S 5xxx decks for RGB compilant television.
02-26-2019, 06:42 PM
Free Member

There were, historically, a few domestic/prosumer (PAL) VHS decks with RGB-out (e.g. Philips VR-813, Thomson DVH-8090).
But the picture quality wasn't so great. VHS and S-VHS top out at S-Video, so nothing to be really gained with the RGB output. Bear in mind that VHS is intrinsically a pseudo-composite format (it records "color under").
Quote:
"the luminance is separated from the chroma information and sent to circuits to be processed. The
luminance signal is then used to FM modulate a carrier before it is recorded on the videotape. The chroma signal is heterodyned with a local oscillator signal to down convert the 3.58 MHz frequency before being recorded on the video tape."