03-22-2019, 04:32 AM
Free Member

Hi all,

I'm expecting a fresh batch of 140-odd VHS tapes to capture in the coming weeks. I was planning to use my JVC HR-S7955 for this, but I've just noticed a Panasonic NV-HS1000 has turned up on a local selling site.

Would the Pana represent any sort of upgrade over the JVC? I'm half-tempted to buy it just to have some redundancy in my system, or at least the alternative of a decent deck to try tapes when they don't look great on the JVC...

Any thoughts, anyone?

Regards to all,

Discy
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

03-22-2019, 05:27 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,448 Times in 2,080 Posts
Panasonic is not better, just different. Sometimes, for some tapes, that difference can result in better playback. But not necessarily. There's a reason that pro/advanced workflows have 2+ VCRs of different makes.

I mentioned that here: http://www.digitalFAQ.com/editorials...g-workflow.htm

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
03-22-2019, 06:17 AM
Free Member

Thanks for that. I'm also wondering about whether I should take a punt on one of the professional decks that turn up now and again. I know they're hit and miss but for the right price, they could be a bargain. But in the meantime I'll probably snap up that Pana as an alternative to the JVC.
03-22-2019, 09:23 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,448 Times in 2,080 Posts
If you have money to gamble on VCRs, and time to play, then go for it. You'll get a number of duds, some half-misses, but you'll eventually turn up a good deck or two. But after all the expenses are considered, time/costs to repair (if needed), I'm not sure the end result will be a huge bargain, considering some will just be total losses (wasted time/money).

Granted, in Europe, you do seemingly have more decent decks that not.
In USA, eBay/Craigslist is literally a video dumping ground. I heard yet another bad story just 2 days ago, from a previous buyer of one of my decks. He wanted another deck, but on the cheap, so he hit up eBay. He got nothing but hassles. He's probably going to get another from me, as he is amazed at how well it works, and is tired is screwing around.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
03-25-2019, 03:17 PM
Free Member

As it turned out, the Panasonic was shutting itself down and spewing tape around inside when it was asked to eject. So I politely passed on it.

What about something like a 'pro' AG8700? They turn up occasionally, but the purchase price and the possible bills involved in spare parts have always put me off.

Regards,

Discy
04-04-2019, 02:50 AM
Free Member

So an NV-FS200 appeared on a local auction site today. Described as being in full working condition, complete with remote and manual etc. Picked it up for £100. Hopefully it's a good deck at that price and will give me an alternative to my JVC..
04-28-2019, 05:52 PM
Free Member

It is very difficult to get a good NV-HS1000, I have bought three on Ebay ( Germany ) that had all kinds of issues or was just defect. The fourth time I was lucky to get on that was in good shape for not that much. These semi professionel devices has often seen heavy use.
02-21-2021, 06:38 AM
Free Member

even if you have a NV-HS1000 from new, and it has not been used in a while (like our one) , you should get it serviced first before you play any precious tapes on it, just a few of the main things we needed on ours as itemised below :-

1) total power supply service (all PSU capacitors replaced including the main tank capacitor)
2) the loading gears were out of time/sync
3) new genuine Panasonic pinch roller as the old one was saturated with tape lubricant (it makes them slip and the tape rides up)
4) the foam head cleaner had totally disintegrated and if you play a tape in this condition the metal spindle would have crashed into the head drum.