Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Restore, Filter, Improve Quality

LinkBack Thread Tools
03-24-2019, 11:27 AM
Free Member

I used to do this years ago when I was more involved in the hobby. Then my computer damaged and I just stopped doing video for a few years. Now I'm trying to get back, so I downloaded (in my new computer, using windows 10) the following:

A) Current version of Avisynth: Stored in the C: Program Files (X86) folder with the plugins folder included AND the dgdecode dll copied and pasted in the plugins folder

B) Current version of DGMPEC decoder package- stored in downloads folder

C) Current version of AVSPMOD - stored in downloads folder

I used DVD Decrypter to create VOB files and I stored the DGIndex-create d2v files in the same folder.

But when I try to open the d2v file in avspmod, I get an error telling me that there's no mpeg2-source.

So again I ask please.....what am I doing wrong????
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

03-24-2019, 12:47 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Did you remember to install all the Avisynth dependencies in system32/syswow64, etc?

I don't install Avisynth all the time either, so I know how you feel.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
03-24-2019, 02:24 PM
Free Member

What are avisynth "dependencies" and how would I go about doing that?

Thanks for getting back to me LS. How are ya, btw? been a while.

-- merged --

Now I downloaded Virtualdub and it's not opening any video streams. When I tried to open an mpeg-2 I get the message error: "virtualdub cannot open any mpeg-2 video streams". Why are these programs so delicate and finicky?
03-25-2019, 05:02 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Because I don't do it often myself, I forget the details. Certain DLLs need to be placed in folders outside the Avisynth install folders, like system32/syswow64. Going from memory, fftw3.dll is one, and avisynth.dll is another. Different filters may have their own dependencies as well. I think dgmpegdec does as well, some/all files placed in Avisynth folder.

Start with a simple script
Code:
avisource("c:\file.avi")
See if that at least works.

The official VirtualDub can only open AVI. You need plugins to enable more. The VirtualDub available from this site has all of that preloaded, or you can use the fork VirtualDub2 (formerly VirtualDub FilterMod). But be warned, the 2/FM version has some filter issues, such as resize, so it's not as stable as the original VirtualDub.

Open-source software often is buggy, often being hobby programmed, not paid.

Hopefully sanlyn comes along, he installs this more than I do, can rattle off dependencies (and versions!) much more quickly.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
03-25-2019, 01:20 PM
Unconfirmed User

Also make sure you've reinstalled the various 32/64 bit C++ redistributable libraries. I got all sorts of AviSynth error messages before I had them all installed.

Erich
03-25-2019, 06:14 PM
Free Member

LordSmurf,

I downloaded your custom Virtualdub with Huffyuv, but I want to make sure I did this correct:

I used Winzip to open the Huffyuv zip file and extracted both, the Huffyuv dnl and inf files. Both, the dnl and inf Huffyuv files in a separate folder in my downloads section called Huffyuv. I noticed that your custom Virtualdub downloaded along with the Huffyuv, so I didn't have to download that separately as I thought I would. Was that supposed to happen? (it was convenient for me, but I want to make sure that this is normal and that I didn't mess up here).

I then copied both the Huffyuv dnl and inf files and pasted them in the Virtualdub folder, where other dll files (such as corona, ogg, vdcmdrv) and other dll files are saved.

So here are my questions:

1. Was copying and pasting the huffyuv dnl and inf files in the Virtualdub folder correct, unnecessary, or just plain wrong?
2. If if was correct, can I now delete my separate huffyuv folder which contains both, the dnl and inf files or do I still need to keep it?
3. When I save my avi in virtualdub, how do I know I'm saving it as a lossless huffyuv?

Thanks
03-25-2019, 06:15 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELinder View Post
Also make sure you've reinstalled the various 32/64 bit C++ redistributable libraries. I got all sorts of AviSynth error messages before I had them all installed.

Erich
Thanks ELinder, but how do I do this?
03-25-2019, 06:21 PM
Unconfirmed User

This article helped me locate all the various versions. I went ahead and installed all of them, both 32 and 64 bit, just in case.

https://www.itechtics.com/microsoft-...ownload-links/

Erich
03-25-2019, 08:44 PM
Free Member

Ok, I installed it and it made absolutely no difference. This is what I don't understand: if you download avisynth correctly, why should you still have to go on wild goose chases looking for other things to make it work? Does Avisynth need a plugins folder with the dgdecode.dll in it to make mpeg2source open?
03-26-2019, 02:54 PM
Unconfirmed User

Actually, a lot of your questions are covered in the Virtualdub guide here on the forum. Sanlyn also has an AviSynth download zip file with everything needed and includes a text file showing exactly what to copy where. I can't find it right now, but if you search you'll find it. The Huffyuv codec needs to be installed, not just copied to a directory. Right clicking on the .inf file and selecting “install” should do it, and if not there are also threads on trouble shooting if it doesn't. I had trouble with that myself on Windows 10 and found the answers here.

As for why all this needs so many hoops to jump thru, I've asked myself that too. Remember all of this was created by many people over many years and all free, so it naturally won't be as self comtained a a program you buy off the shelf.

Erich
03-26-2019, 03:29 PM
Free Member

Ok, so I installed Huffyuv, or whatever it's called, as per instructions. Now, how do I know I actually did it correctly? It's a codec for lossless right? So when I save a video in Virtualdub, I don't see anything that says Huffyuv. It just saves it as an AVI. How do I know it's using Huffyuv?
03-26-2019, 03:30 PM
Free Member

And with all respect and gratitude to you ELinder, please if it's possible, explain this to me the way you would explain it to an idiot. I really appreciate that. I am by no means familiar with the jargon.
03-26-2019, 03:45 PM
Unconfirmed User

Here's the guide for Virtualdub, it includes where to set the Huffyuv codec as the one being used.

http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...=capture+guide

If you don't see the just installed Huffyuv in the capture codec list where appropriate in that guide, it may not have installed properly. See this post that talks more about installing it and what to do if it didn't.

http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...lters-pre.html

Erich
03-26-2019, 04:13 PM
Free Member

"To install Huffyuv, simply unRAR the correct file, and then right-click and install the INF file. If you can't tell the difference between the DLL and the INF file, you have Windows setup to hide file extensions -- something that I suggest against."

I did this already. I only ask, where in the Virtualdub program do I check and see if it's actually properly installed?

Copying and pasting links to other threads which have thousands upon thousands of varying comments and suggestions by other users is NOT helping me here. It's actually confusing me and causing more frustration! This is not Videohelp.com, where they're notorious for this. One of the things I like about Digitalfaq.com is that people here explain things in simple, step-by-step down-to-earth language where ALL can learn.

If you can't simply explain to me what I need to do, that's fine. Just please stop posting more links!

Smurf--please help when you see this.

Thanks.
03-27-2019, 11:03 AM
Unconfirmed User

I'm sorry you're frustrated, believe me I know the feeling. I still have to go thru things on this site numerous times myself until I figure out what's being talked about. The people here are extremely generous with their time and knowledge and are very helpful. Having said that, you're asking basic questions that the Guides have been created to answer. They are like the program manuals that we wish exist for these programs and take you step by step thru the settings of the program to make sure everything is the way it should be.

Yes, I'm going to post links, as I'm not going to retype something that has already been written.

You asked about where to see that VDub was using the Huffyuv codec. If you had glanced thru the guide of the first link I gave you, you would see this in the fourth post complete with screenshots. http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...html#post45239

If you do not see the Huffyuv codec in that list, it did not install correctly. You're using Windows 10, right? Use these step by step instructions to make sure it does install correctly:

http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...html#post11627

Erich