11-10-2006, 06:57 AM
Free Member

Hello DVD geniouses...

I am still obtaining my software, but need to make some decisions about what I need and why I need it. To do that, I need to better understand the tools and what they bring to the table.

OK, so first, capturing. I currently use VirtualDub and the HuffyUV codec. Does a great job, but uses a lot of CPU power. Because of this, I've been trying to understand the realtime MPEG encoder cards, but am not getting it with these. People use them to capture video, but I'm not sure how and what encoding happens where to result in the files on the hard drive. Is there an easy explanation of this?

Seond, processing. HuffyUV produces an avi file. I then have to edit commercials out and such. I guess that is where programs like Premiere come in. I get the time line thing, but I don't understand what rendering means, or what format the video is in when the rendering is finished. I actually got a used copy of Edius Pro and am hoping to use it so I don't have to find a used copy of Premiere.

Third, encoding. Once I edit, I encode to 352x480 and 4MB/sec. I use Procoder 2 for that (found a used copy of that too). I see that Procoder will produce VOB files, but only at 720x480 and 8MB/sec, so I have to use another program to make the VOB files, right? I also have some downloads I would like to convert to DVD, but I want to correct for overscan. I understand how to do that with yet another piece of software, but am hoping someone knows how to do that using Procoder so I don't have to encode yet again.

Fourth, producing the menus an VOB files. I'm evaluating DVDLab Pro for this. It is very flexible and it takes the 352x480 video and audio files without trying to convert them to 8MB/sec files, which is what I'm after. I know I can make my menus using Edius Pro or Premiere, but that gets back to understanding the rendering thing an what the means and what I need to do after that. The thing about DVDLab Pro is that it won't allow me to ajust the audio files on a timeline, and it won't play my audio files with the video files. So, I'm not sure if I even need this software. But, again, I need to produce the VOBs from my 352x480 files.

Finally, I'm trying to understand if it make sense to get a realtime MPEG encoder card. I don't really understand how a signal gets from the card to the hard drive and what does the encoding along the way. I also don't know what type of cards are good ones. I can't afford a new one, so must buy an older one off of ebay.

I thank you for any help/understanding you can provide.

Cheers...Tom

Cheers...Tom
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

11-10-2006, 07:50 AM
Free Member

Paging LS...Paging LS!

I would try to explain but I think I would either get it wrong or not as clear as he would.
11-10-2006, 08:01 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,447 Times in 2,079 Posts
Hardware MPEG encoder cards encode in the card chipsets. For example, the Hauppauge PVR series cards.

Hardware-assisted MPEG encoder cards encode with a load balance between the card chipsets and the CPU and dedicated software. For example, the ATI All In Wonder Radeon series cards.

Software MPEG encoding is purely off the CPU, and is really not suggested in a realtime settings. There is a reason software encoders take hours and hours to encode a file. Quality of software-only is not there. For example, a generic card using WinDVD Recorder software.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Rendering, decoding, transcoding and encoding are often mixed up, even by video software companies.

Rendering = create of new motion from previously still or non-existant assets. For example, the movies like Monsters Inc and Cars are rendered graphics. When you edit video and insert graphics, fades, etc ... those are rendered.

Decoding = reading the video file, uncompressing it, to display or be used in an editing setting.

Transcoding = converting from one compression scheme to another, without the use of decoding. This results in reduced quality, though it is usually "good enough" depending on the settings of the source video. For example, DVD Shrink is a transcoder.

Encoding = converting video from a fully decoded source.

In Premiere, the setting you pick for export determines the output file format. For example, if you use the Adobe MPEG Encoder, that exported video is either MPEG-1 or MPEG-2, depending on the settings you picked.

The full versions of Procoder 2 absolutely allows for Half D1 (352x480) video. I would not try to create VOB files, that is not correct. VOB files are formed in the authoring process, not encoding process. Procoder is apparently using an "idiot-friendly" video preset when it does Full D1 at near-max bitrate when it does the VOB files. Encode to MPEG-2.

When it comes to overscan correction, I suggest use an AVISynth script to resize, and then open the AVS in Procoder 2 and encode from that. I suggest FitCD to automate the script-writing process, including resize instructions. As a general tip, FitCD tends to add too much border, so reduce it a bit from the default (and do it in a pixel count that is a multiple of 2). Procoder is not as good a resizer as AVISynth is. I know, this sounds like voodoo, but I assure you it's no more difficult than editing in Premiere. FulciLives on this forum would probably help you on this, if you asked him.

An AVS file is a middleman script that decodes a video file, makes a few changes to it via text scripts, and then can be opened by several encoders. You install a program called "AVISynth" which sort of 'octopusses' itself into Windows.

Authoring is where you import all your goodies, and then layout your menu. Contrary to popular belief, you do not "make menus" in authoring software. Menus also use assets that need to be made in advance, either in something like Photoshop (still menu) or Premiere (motion menu). DVD-Lab is not what I suggest, I prefer Ulead DVD Worshop 2, as it's much easier and better adheres to the DVD-Video specs.

It's great to see people 'getting their hands dirty' at video, so I'm glad to help, as will others. Hope that answers your questions.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
11-10-2006, 08:07 AM
Free Member

Thank GOD for www.digitalfaq.com

capturing

http://www.digitalfaq.com/dvdguides/capture/index.htm

editing commericals from Mpeg files >

http://www.digitalfaq.com/dvdguides/...ommercials.htm

Downloads....well, VSO DIVXTODVD will convert WMV, AVS, AVI few more too.

If your quality is decent. Dont need AR corrected Or cleaned up.

It will encode any file to 720x 480 at 8,000 kbs ( or whatever you choose) audio is Ac3

after it encodes , it creates a VTS FOLDER . All you have to do is burn.

lol