06-25-2019, 10:28 AM
Free Member

I am new to this, so forgive me. I was recruited by my fam for the task of converting my family's VHS and Hi8/8mm tapes to digital format. I purchased a cheap USB 2.0 video capture device from Amazon: USB 2.0 Audio Video VHS to DVD Converter Capture Card Adapter. I had no issue transferring my VHS to my PC. The included software produces a MPEG file that is ok quality. My problems began when I started transferring the Hi8 tapes. The software converts the video into 4gb MPEG files for future DVD conversion. The issue is that... during conversion, the audio/video is synced fine, but as the conversion continues for longer videos, the audio develops a worsening delay and is eventually 1+ seconds behind and is unbearable to watch/hear. I assume that I just need to use better software/hardware?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

06-25-2019, 01:54 PM
Free Member

when there is a glitch during capture, frames of video or samples of audio are lost or "dropped", depending on whether its video or audio, that is lost, the sync will drift forwards or backwards

if capturing with intelligent hardware or software the capture is (timed) such that a note can be made in the software that something went wrong, this can be reported by the software to the user .. the hardware or software can also "attempt" to compensate for the problem at the time of capture. one way is by doubling up last good frame to fill in for missing video, another way is by dropping audio samples.. the goal being to maintain the sync.. but this can introduce detectable defects in the capture like motion stutter, or audio pops and clicks.. cheap capture devices do none of these things

an alternative solution to minimize the problem is to pass the audio and video signals through a device to precondition and make them more immune to drops by the capture hardware, a Time Base Corrector is often used for making video signals less likely to be dropped

otherways of dealing with the problem is to manually re-sync the audio and video in post production, or deliberately chopping up a capture session during capture to "reset" or minimize the amount to time that a recording could possibly drift in one session, so that it does not accumulate over a longer period of time
06-25-2019, 02:37 PM
Free Member

If you are serious about preserving your family memories you should get a decent capture device and more robust VCR with built in line TBC, Hardware buying guides are in this forum you just have to do some reading.
06-25-2019, 08:45 PM
Free Member

Thank you both for the responses. I definitely would prefer to do this right the first time than to spend hours producing bad material. I started reading through the pinned threads regarding recommended hardware. Unfortunately it seems that most of these threads are almost 10yrs old and reference hardware that is no longer available. I will keep digging. And to clarify, my VHS transfers seemed to all do fine actually... My main problems with dropped frames and audio sync issues have been with my Hi8 tapes playing from the Sony camcorder. The threads indicate that there is benefit to using an older Windows XP computer. I have both an XP and a windows 10 tower. So I hope to have luck finding some decent capture device to make these Hi8 tapes transfer well. Thanks again
06-25-2019, 09:16 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,447 Times in 2,079 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefner413 View Post
Unfortunately it seems that most of these threads are almost 10yrs old and reference hardware that is no longer available.
Not true.

- http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/mark...ati-600-a.html
- http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/mark...bc-1000-a.html
- http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/mark...e-jvc-vhs.html

I make sure the gear is not only available, but in optimal condition for the transfer tasks.

Quote:
And to clarify, my VHS transfers seemed to all do fine actually...
I'd like to see a sample clip. Without TBC, with a suggested VCR, odds are you're making really lousy conversions. Wiggly pictures and color noise/bleeding is likely.

Quote:
My main problems with dropped frames and audio sync issues have been with my Hi8 tapes playing from the Sony camcorder.
The issue here is lack of frame TBC.

Quote:
The threads indicate that there is benefit to using an older Windows XP computer. I have both an XP and a windows 10 tower. So I hope to have luck finding some decent capture device to make these Hi8 tapes transfer well. Thanks again
The main issue with Win10 is that it's hyperactive, it has ADHD, always trying to connect and do stuff in the background. But that does not work for video capture. The system needs to be lean and serene, focused only on the video capture task. XP can do this, even Win7. Some of the best video capture hardware only works in XP, like ATI AIW, but there are good Win Vista/7/8/10 cards as well. If you insist on using Win10, you must disconnect it offline, and disable background tasks.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
06-30-2019, 01:40 PM
Free Member

So what do you guys use for playing your Hi8 cassettes? Original recorder or a dedicated player or a vhs adapter? Thanks again
06-30-2019, 03:43 PM
Premium Member

I have 3 different Sony Hi8/Dig8 camcorders that I use for all off my Hi8 transfers. You can find them everywhere on eBay. I have had zero luck with a few Hi8 decks I purchased, however they made fine kayak anchors.
06-30-2019, 04:07 PM
Free Member

There were no 'Hi8 to VHS' cassette adaptors. VHS-C camcorder tapes and VHS adaptors existed as the signals and tape width were identical. I still use those today to view and copy my VHS-C tapes that I have just recorded.

But Hi8 is different. You could get dedicated (And expensive) Hi8 decks, or any good camera such as the sony handcams will do. You want a TBC for best results.
06-30-2019, 06:08 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,447 Times in 2,079 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefner413 View Post
So what do you guys use for playing your Hi8 cassettes? Original recorder or a dedicated player or a vhs adapter? Thanks again
Hi8/Video8 VTRs are lousy. What you need is a quality Hi8 camera, especially one using s-video.

Hi8/Video8 cannot be played in a VCR player. Incompatible formats. There is no such adapter. Only VHS-C tapes can be adapted for use in a VHS player (VCR).

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs